MSC Canadian Formal/theme nights

linloo

Hi I've never cruised with MSC before can anyone advise on 7 day cruise how many formal or themed nights there is likely to be? Also how formal is formal night and generally any comments on dress code. Thanks

Edited by linloo
Spelling

Hi I've never cruised with MSC before can anyone advise on 7 day cruise how many formal or themed nights there is likely to be? Also how formal is formal night and generally any comments on dress code. Thanks

There will be 2 formal nights on a 7 night cruise and you can call MSC to ask them what theme nights they will have on your cruise it will help you for packing

There will be 2 formal nights on a 7 night cruise and you can call MSC to ask them what theme nights they will have on your cruise it will help you for packing

Thank you that is helpful:cool:

Cruised once with Msc (Preziosa) before in the Mediterranean. Even on formal night there were man wearing shorts in the main dining room. What's the point of organising a formal night if everyone wears what they want?

Could depend on the staff? Or itinerary? I don't know but it takes away the atmosphere there is when everybody is dressed up.

Could depend on the staff? Or itinerary? I don't know but it takes away the atmosphere there is when everybody is dressed up.

It depends on the passengers ! Unfortunately more and more guests ignore the dress code for Elegant Nights. If you research this topic you will find opinions like “I am on vacation” and “ Nobody can tell me what to wear” , just blah blah excuses. I think it is a mix of ignorance, disrespect and lazyness. Sorry, but if I know there is a formal event during my vacation I dress accordingly. Maybe it’s just me...:confused:

We use to dress up for formal nights, but now with having to pay for luggage on the airlines, we don’t anymore. Don’t call me ignorant, disrespectful or lazy. Last year on the Divina in the YC, no one said anything when my husband wore his slacks and polo type shirt. More was being said about the men who pull out their aged, yellow and out of date tuxedoes. It’s just another theme night. Not everyone dresses up for white night or Italian night. Get over yourselves with the formal bullying. Yeah, I’m one of those people who says “I’m on vacation”. To me nice slacks and a nice blouse fits any dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Get over yourselves with the formal bullying.

No, you are getting it all wrong and twisting what is supposed to be a formal event on a cruise.

Don't blame it on the airlines and the baggage fees, it's just another excuse.

But it is what it is. I tolerate passengers not dressing up as long as they respect me dressing up.

Maybe it’s just me...:confused:

No it's not just you, feeling the same way, we too dress up on formal nights. I've been to various hotels where you don't enter the restaurant in shorts, period. It shouldn't be that difficult to enforce this on formal nights.

SW ... I am with you on this, it is one of my pet hates which is likely down to having worn a uniform for 30 years, I would personally turn people away from the MDR on formal/gala nights if they are not suitably dressed.

The airline Weight limits is a poor excuse, we travel thousands of miles and still take ours.

Maybe it is time MSC made a stand on this issue or maybe had a separate dining room for those who refuse to dress up.

SW ... I am with you on this, it is one of my pet hates which is likely down to having worn a uniform for 30 years, I would personally turn people away from the MDR on formal/gala nights if they are not suitably dressed.

The airline Weight limits is a poor excuse, we travel thousands of miles and still take ours.

Maybe it is time MSC made a stand on this issue or maybe had a separate dining room for those who refuse to dress up.

There is, the buffet!

Also agree, if I'm going to a nice restaurant I think it's respectful to be dressed nicely. I wouldn't even consider dining in the MDR if not wearing something smart, on any evening. I don't think it compulsary for it to be enforced that the dresscode is tuxedoes and evening dresses but surely it's not too much to ask for a nice pair of trousers and a shirt or a pretty dress on Gala Evening.

I can only speak of our personal experience but we've found the diffference to be region/passenger based, our Med, TA and Persian Gulf sailings people have dressed nicley all of the time and then more formally on Gala Nights. Each time we've sailed in the Caribean, dress standards are noticibly lower and casual.

I'm not on one side or the other of this issue really, as I think it's unnecessarily divisive. The bottom line is that if the cruise line isn't going to enforce it, then it is clearly optional. Those who will judge on either side will judge regardless, but from a powerless position in terms of effecting change.

It is so easy. If they had a dress code regarding elegant nights I would not have booked with MSC. But they do have a dress code regarding shorts in restaurants, not going to do it, and swimwear in restaurant and buffet. But smart casual/elegant are suggestions. The same way why it would be ridiculous to refuse entry to someone not dressed for theme nights to the restaurant it would be to do so for not following the theme night called elegant night.

Theme nights have nothing to do with the dining rooms!

But according to the layouter of the daily program they have something to do with the dress suggestions for the dining rooms and the seriousness.

I will go with what is good enough for the haven restaurant and most specialty restaurants on NCL has to be good enough for the MDR on MSC. I am happy to discuss the definition of a dress suggestion with the staff.

The White night party does not begin until around 10.30 pm, much the same as any of the others, at Xmas and in April on both Seaside sailings the old Italian night was not mentioned as a suggested dress code.

The dress codes were Casual, Smart Casual and Elegant.

So I’d be relegated to the buffet instead of the YC restaurant because my husband chooses to wear dress slacks and a polo shirt instead of your “elegant” attire. Like I said before, it was more non elegant to see men in their tight, yellow dinner jackets. On our Divina cruise there were men with dress shirts, no ties and sleeves rolled up. On our cruise, I guess there were more lazy, disrespectful and ignorant people than not because they were dressed very nicely, even though it’s not to your standards.

No, you are getting it all wrong and twisting what is supposed to be a formal event on a cruise.

Don't blame it on the airlines and the baggage fees, it's just another excuse.

But it is what it is. I tolerate passengers not dressing up as long as they respect me dressing up.

I respect your decision to dress up. I’d probably even compliment you if I saw you. I appreciate who make the decision to dress up—just respect me for my choices too. I would never be the one with torn jeans or even capris on dress up night. To say that I’d be tolerated by you sounds so judgmental. Just live your life. It must be nice on the perch you are sitting on If you are so concerned with what someone else is wearing.