My 2 cents on cruise attire

Don’t have to, Fiske & Taylor did a great dissertation back in 1991. It was already done for me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Still remember slugging through it the first time. So are you thinking for some people dressing for dinner is not strictly a social thing, but it is a more purely driven need for self enhancement. That is a strong motivator for some people.

It doesn't explain why they care about others doing the same. If everyone did the same, I would think it lower the amount of self enhancement they would get. Is it a need to also satisfy the interdependent self, by feeling vindicated by the action of others? Or do they get even more self enhancement by lauding their presumed superiority? Perhaps they don't want others to really alter their behavior, they just want to look down on them. If that were true then you would be correct that it is all about Self Enhancement.

They feel either:

I dress up so that I feel better about how I am seen, and I want others to do the same, so that I can say "See this is important, and I was right"

OR

I dress up because people need to see me as important, and I am then empowered to not only feel superior but to openly comment on my superiority.

Very thought provoking, thank you for the making look at it a different way.

Still remember slugging through it the first time. So are you thinking for some people dressing for dinner is not strictly a social thing, but it is a more purely driven need for self enhancement. That is a strong motivator for some people.

It doesn't explain why they care about others doing the same. If everyone did the same, I would think it lower the amount of self enhancement they would get. Is it a need to also satisfy the interdependent self, by feeling vindicated by the action of others? Or do they get even more self enhancement by lauding their presumed superiority? Perhaps they don't want others to really alter their behavior, they just want to look down on them. If that were true then you would be correct that it is all about Self Enhancement.

They feel either:

I dress up so that I feel better about how I am seen, and I want others to do the same, so that I can say "See this is important, and I was right"

OR

I dress up because people need to see me as important, and I am then empowered to not only feel superior but to openly comment on my superiority.

Very thought provoking, thank you for the making look at it a different way.

Like the threads on smoking, smuggling alcohol, tips no side will ever win. To each is own... thats what makes these boards so much fun to read.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It doesn't explain why they care about others doing the same. If everyone did the same, I would think it lower the amount of self enhancement they would get. Is it a need to also satisfy the interdependent self, by feeling vindicated by the action of others?

Some like dress codes and want codes enforced because they are concerned they will stand out. Some are concerned about being under-dressed. Others are more concerned about being over-dressed. Dress codes that are enforced ensure that none are over or under dressed.

We used to bring gowns and kilts for the men but...travelling from the UK, the baggage allowance has dropped a lot, and the fees are sky high so now we just use the Windjammer or somewhere else.

But...I must add, what someone wears does not impact the enjoyment of my meal, it will still taste the same and look the same regardless of what people are wearing, for those that enjoy dressing up, that's great, but it's also great for those that don't want to....it's all about harmony and getting along with each other

I agree. We should all get along peacefully and harmoniously while cruising, and carry it over back on land.

Would have loved to have seen the men in their kilts though!

Some like dress codes and want codes enforced because they are concerned they will stand out. Some are concerned about being under-dressed. Others are more concerned about being over-dressed. Dress codes that are enforced ensure that none are over or under dressed.

RocketMan that is another strong motivation. Tribalism. They feel most comfortable when everyone in sight looks like them. That is another reasonable explanation of why some people feel so strongly about compliance. It isn't the breaking of rules (as most often acknowledge there are other rules they ignore), but it is the much stronger need for conformity and its reassurances.

RocketMan that is another strong motivation. Tribalism. They feel most comfortable when everyone in sight looks like them. That is another reasonable explanation of why some people feel so strongly about compliance. It isn't the breaking of rules (as most often acknowledge there are other rules they ignore), but it is the much stronger need for conformity and its reassurances.

It's rather nice to be older and retired and in the place where conformity isn't important.

I will always dress in slacks and shirt with collar for dinner in the mdr, maybe shorts if I eat at another venue, I am not too lazy nor defiant of the ship guide lines to wear the suggested attire for 2 hours or less, any excuse to not do so is BS to me!.....2 hours or less, that is nothing!

I could not care less whether the couple in the next table wears casual clothes to the MDR, so long as there is nothing political and nothing obnoxious written on any of their attire. Their choice, and I am fine with it.

I have to say, though, that I think the opportunity to dress up for dinner for me is a plus, not a burden. And I do appreciate it when others make an effort. I love fashion, and being dressed up enhances the evening.