Oceania and the current rules for Cuba

Notaflyingtoy

Hi

Have a cruise booked for Cuba for this September. Super excited! Im on the 8 day "postcards from Cuba" trip, with Day one in the Bahamas, going to Santiago de Cuba, Cienfuegos, and 2 days in Havana

Going with family so I didnt personally do tons of research into the regulations of going to Cuba, until a few weeks ago. Bit of a headache to say the least. I have a few questions for people who have recently traveled (under the new regulations, reservations made after the law change) to Cuba.

1. How Strict is Oceania/cuban customs on the "group people to people" requirements? Will anyone actually check to see if I have an excursion booked that day, or can I just walk out and do my own thing. I am pretty young and usually travel independently whenever I can. Oceania gave a vague answer and the travel agent we worked with did as well.
  2. Are the Oceania excursions worth it, or should I book through someplace else? Are there some excursions people recommend?
  3. Is anyone actually checking itineraries and such?

I want to make the most of my trip, do excursions when they are worth it, but if it is possible to break off and do my own thing, thats what I generally like on a vacation. I have read the law and know it says you cant, but it seems that these things are not really enforced.

I have read the law and know it says you cant, but it seems that these things are not really enforced.

WHY, when people know that certain things happen on a wink-wink-nudge-nudge basis, do they ask over and over again about "official policies"?

The very first rule of Fight Club is that you NEVER talk about Fight Club.

For the clandestine-impaired, when skirting the law:

• Keep smiling
  • Keep walking
  • If confronted, plead total ignorance

You are supposed to check "in support of the Cuban people" on the affidavit now. Have been twice, once under old rules, once under new. Really no difference. No one checks where you go or what you do. We used Havanajourneys private tour. 6 hours, half walking, half driving in vintage car. $100 for 2 or 3 people. Well worth it. They will tailor tour to see whatever you want to or they have a standard city tour.

The Department of Treasury's Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC) has issued licenses for 12 categories of travel to Cuba. One of those categories is "support for the Cuban people." Under that category there is no requirement to be on an excursion, you can do your sightseeing on your own. However, you need to comply with the OFAC regulations that prohibit engaging in financial transactions with entities that are on the "Cuba Restricted List" - businesses that are essentially under the control of the Cuban government. Oceania provided a printout of businesses that are on the list.

I was on the Insignia cruise that stopped in Havana on July 2, 2018. I did not have an excursion booked and went ashore with no problems. Getting through immigration at the port in Havana was slow, but as long as you had a visa the Cuban authorities let you enter and never asked if you had an excursion. The OFAC regulations are a U.S. requirement, not a Cuban requirement. I did not enter into any financial transactions with any of the entities on the restricted list and had an enjoyable day walking around Havana with no hassles and in compliance with the OFAC regulations.