new to cruising, have a ?

cornhusker

hi all,

I stumbled on this board and have found it very informative. My DH and I are going on the SDII cruise departing Jan 29. I am excited...this is my first cruise, EVER. However, I do have some worries/concerns...How rough are the waters? Will I get seasick? I read on Frommers that even in midly rough waters, the ship will "bob like a bouy". YIKES...please, say it isn't so...

Well, I guess that is all for now, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

:)

Thanks!

SeaDream moves only at night most of the time. You have a very "tight" itinerary - you aren't really going very far each port so your cruising time between islands is short. I was on SD2 in the Med in September - we have gale force winds - but she took them really well. I have never felt her bob at all on any of my trips on SeaDream. You are going to have a blast - I wish I were going with you!

I agree with the former poster that you will most probably sail after dinner and arrive before breakfast.

However, even with the stabilizers, there may be some motion while you are in the open sea.

There is a device called a reliefband. It looks like a watch, is worn on the wrist and runs on batteries. When used properly, it can significantly reduce seasickness without the effects of pills. YOu can research them on the web.

Have a great trip!!

Cornhusker:

If this is the first cruise, what will you do next? You will have fun, do not worry about the motion unless you are exceptionally prone to motion sickness. As a retired ship captain, I can tell you that the motion on the SD twins is very kindly. None of the hang on the roll problems of larger ships. If you do have any problems, and I doubt you will, the ships Doctor can give you the magic jab. Shot in the posterior will make you immune to any motion. Also considered a sure cure is a good cold beer. Enjoy.

Jim.

Thank you for all of the advice. I think I might look into that reliefband or even a motion sickness patch, just in case...

Thanks!

Just to be clear...the patch is medication. It requires an Rx. I think it lasts for 3 days (unless removed). Many people say that they work extremely well. Others have mild to strong side effects starting with dry mouth.

The Reliefband is an electromechnical device bought OTC (unless you plan to use it for morning sickness in which case you need an Rx and pay more...for the same device!!).

It can be turned on when you need it and turned off thereafter.

But, you need to follow the directions carefully in terms of wrist placement and there seems to be no documented "double blind" test evidence that it really works.

Finally, there is the standard seasick pill given out at the desk. It usually works; lasts for 12 - 24 hours; but I personally find that they make me groggy like walking through a fog and you probably shouldn't drink alcohol when you take them.

Still, I hope that you need none of the above!!

Have a good trip.

The show on Discovery Channel called Mythbusters recently ran Episode #43 - Seasickness — Kill or Cure.

They pretty much dismissed all the home remedies, with the Rx being the only one to prove effective, although some of the prescriptions had side effects. That's what I remember - I didn't watch the entire show. Go TIVO it if you can.

I checked the TV schedule on discovery.com, and it doesn't look like it will be running again soon, but keep an eye out for it!

AX

• 3 weeks later...

I tend to get very bad motion sickness. Depending on the itinerary I'll take Bonine (generic is Meclazyne sp? and is a LOT less expensive). That said, I also ALWAYS bring a Scopalomine patch with me. Yes, they only last 3 days, and I do get severe dry mouth, but in rought weather, the last thing I want to do is ruin my vacation. I'm scheduled for my first SD voyage next month, and because the ships move mostly at night, I'll probably just take the pills, but will definately have the patches in my luggage.

Archived