Alaska Excursions for a large Family

Jade31

We will be traveling on Holland America CL to Alaska in a couple of weeks. We are a family of 5.

Our boat stops in Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, and Victoria. B.C. Canada.

All the excursions we've looked up through Holland America and cruise web are all really expensive $100 + pp and for a family of 5 that can get really expensive.

Can anyone recommend how we can see the major sights without spending a fortune? Maybe renting a driver that doesn't charge per person. We've done that before. Any recommendations.

Thank you

I cannot officially recommend any tour operators or excursions since we have not yet sailed. We leave in just over 2 weeks and I can let you know our experience after that. We are 6 people. Me, husband, my mom (70-something years young), our twins that are 10 and our 6 year old.

I will say that we absolutely saved money, had more options and more personalization of our excursions when booking independently with smaller tour groups/companies. We have a daughter who uses a wheelchair for long distances (out in the community basically), and private companies are more willing and/or able to accommodate her needs so that was a huge factor for us as well.

I cannot officially recommend any tour operators or excursions since we have not yet sailed. We leave in just over 2 weeks and I can let you know our experience after that. We are 6 people. Me, husband, my mom (70-something years young), our twins that are 10 and our 6 year old.

I will say that we absolutely saved money, had more options and more personalization of our excursions when booking independently with smaller tour groups/companies. We have a daughter who uses a wheelchair for long distances (out in the community basically), and private companies are more willing and/or able to accommodate her needs so that was a huge factor for us as well.

Oh actually we will also be living in a little over a week on a cruise. Have you already booked your excursions ahead of time? What companies did you book with?

Our boat stops in Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, and Victoria. B.C. Canada.

All the excursions we've looked up through Holland America and cruise web are all really expensive $100 + pp and for a family of 5 that can get really expensive.

As you’ve found out, Alaska can be expensive. Excursions can be 2-3 times the cost of a similar excursion in the Caribbean, if not more. Renting a car / van is many times the cheapest option for transportation, when needed.

Here are some less costly options for each port:

Juneau - Rent a car and drive to Mendenhall Glacier and drive around the area for sightseeing. Take the Mt. Roberts Tram, if the weather is nice.

Sitka - There is a shuttle from the Visitor’s Center ( $ 10 r/t last year) that will take you to Fortress of the Bear and the Raptor Center (both have admission fees). There is a nice trail you can take back to town through a park with totem Poles, if the weather permits. You can also see the Russian Orthodox Church, Bishops House and other things just walking around downtown.

Ketchikan - You can easily walk to Creek Street, Married Man’s Trail, to see the Fish Ladder and do some shopping. Many recommend taking the city bus to Totem Bight to see the Totem Poles.

I have not been to Victoria, but I’m sure others will post low cost options there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh actually we will also be living in a little over a week on a cruise. Have you already booked your excursions ahead of time? What companies did you book with?

Yes, we booked all the excursions long ago (Sept/Oct 2017). This is our list:

Ketchikan - Alaska Shore Tours for The Bearing Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour (less than booking it with RCCL)

Icy Strait Point - Glacier Wind Charters for private whale watching excursion - just our family

Juneau - rental car so we can drive to Mendenhall, the salmon hatchery/fish ladder, do the Mount Roberts Tram, etc.

Skagway - Alaska Shore Tours for a private Emerald Lake and Sled Dog Camp (with cart ride) - just our family again.

Seward - PJs Taxi for private from Seward to Anchorage with several stops along the way since we don't have to rush (we fly out the following day).

You need to figure out NOW, what you want to do. It's already probably to late for most options. First, I'd suggest, you find out if any car rentals are still available for Juneau either Juneau Car Rental, or Avis- which is downtown. With your itinerary, what is your port time.

Ketchikan, right from the dock you can wander around. Alaska Discovery Center as example

Sitka is an excellent port to spend your money since it's the only port with excellent with varied wildlife boat tours if of interest? (wildlife is frequently a major reason go there)

Well we had credit on the cruise and decided to use the credit for an excursion instead of for specialty dining. So we plan on doing the Holland America glacier and whale watching excursion, but unfortunately it only gives us about an hour at the glacier.

For anyone that's been there, is that enough time? They claim it takes 1 hr RT to take the trail to Nugget Falls, but its only 2 miles and I think we can do that in less than 40 min if we walk fast or most likely jog(We walk/run daily) ( it looks like its just a trail through the forest). Is it worth the time? And the photo point doesn't look too far. That's all there is to see right, the trails and the glacier?