Larry King, Fain, Smith Family and Attorneys

I just watched this interview with much interest. For those who did not see it, Larry interviewed Richard Fain and Marie, and then as a group Smith's mother, sister, thier attorney and the wife's attorney.

My comments will not come from insenetivity from the Smith families loss, or as an RCCL loyalist, but as a reasonable person formulating and opinion of the points of view of the two side, FWIW.

Putting aside the loss of the Smith family, which I think they may have as well for the time being, I think the basis for the lawsuit against the cruiseline will be one heck of a case, and sorry to say one where only the attornies will benefit.

They claim murder. They claim cover up of the murder, and they insist without one shred of proof on either count that this is the unmistakable conclusion. In addition, they claim that due to a lack of uniformed security, and the negligence in failing to provide uniformed security and prevent the murder, that the cruiseline exacerbated this occurence.

I just watched this interview with much interest. For those who did not see it, Larry interviewed Richard Fain and Marie, and then as a group Smith's mother, sister, thier attorney and the wife's attorney.

My comments will not come from insenetivity from the Smith families loss, or as an RCCL loyalist, but as a reasonable person formulating and opinion of the points of view of the two side, FWIW.

Putting aside the loss of the Smith family, which I think they may have as well for the time being, I think the basis for the lawsuit against the cruiseline will be one heck of a case, and sorry to say one where only the attornies will benefit.

They claim murder. They claim cover up of the murder, and they insist without one shred of proof on either count that this is the unmistakable conclusion. In addition, they claim that due to a lack of uniformed security, and the negligence in failing to provide uniformed security and prevent the murder, that the cruiseline exacerbated this occurence.

Care to join us on the other thread??

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=204223

Now Henry Lee, who has been reatined by the Smith family is saying there was no blood in the cabin.

The family and thier attroneys have just insisted there was blood in the cabin.

No wait, Henry Lee is suggesting they cleaned the cabin and then took the pictures, and wait, changed the carpet as well.

I think Iv'e got it. O.J. was on board!!!!

Now Henry Lee, who has been reatined by the Smith family is saying there was no blood in the cabin.

The family and thier attroneys have just insisted there was blood in the cabin.

No wait, Henry Lee is suggesting they cleaned the cabin and then took the pictures, and wait, changed the carpet as well.

I think Iv'e got it. O.J. was on board!!!!

Actually, I heard that RCI ripped out the carpet, and gave it to the FBI...let me see if I can find that...my head has absorbed so much in the last few days...not sure where I heard it.......

my only question is why hasnt the wife appeared to make a statement to the public?everyone else is speaking but we havent heard a peep on where she was when all this occurred and how she went to spa and received a massage and never noticed her husband missing and why as honeymooners they were not in the same cabin?seems a little fishy .

my only question is why hasnt the wife appeared to make a statement to the public?everyone else is speaking but we havent heard a peep on where she was when all this occurred and how she went to spa and received a massage and never noticed her husband missing and why as honeymooners they were not in the same cabin?seems a little fishy .

She did. The day RCI released a statement;

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/05/ny.../05cruise.html

You may have to register to read it, although, it's hardly worth it.

1carona if the carpet was taken out for the FBI they are acting silly when Henry Lee makes the statement that it was changed. It wasn't changed, it was replaced. This hardly supports the clean up of the cabin took place too soon which is one of their claims apparently.

And on MSNBC she was on again and when the mother of the victim was interviewed she reported a 15 year old missing from a COsta cruise on New Years Eve.

I have always let my kids wander a bit and then meet DH and I...but this time we are only cruising with 2 of the 3 kids, ages 9 and 11. I do not think I am going to feel as relaxed having them come and go...even the small amounts I have let them in the past.

How do you prepare kids? I tell them never go near the rails alone, never climb onto anything to look down the side.... They assure me they are not stupid!

And on MSNBC she was on again and when the mother of the victim was interviewed she reported a 15 year old missing from a COsta cruise on New Years Eve.

I have always let my kids wander a bit and then meet DH and I...but this time we are only cruising with 2 of the 3 kids, ages 9 and 11. I do not think I am going to feel as relaxed having them come and go...even the small amounts I have let them in the past.

How do you prepare kids? I tell them never go near the rails alone, never climb onto anything to look down the side.... They assure me they are not stupid!

We've only been on one cruise and we trusted our kids and let them come and go too. But after all of this I sat down with them last night and talk to them about getting on the rails and they also told me they were not that stupid. I feel I have taught them from right and wrong and I also believe they are not stupid. You see these kind of kids everywhere you go, they do what they want even if it is dangerous and their parents are letting them do it. :eek:

I think as parents as long as we teach our children on how to behave and what not to do (and just not on cruises) they will be fine. ;)

Yes, I think that we all do this. But I'm responding to your question, "how do you prepare kids?"

You can't. You can do everything "right." Tell them: look both ways before you cross the street. Don't talk to strangers. Don't get into a stranger's car. Don't take candy from anyone you don't know.

But you can't tell them, "don't let a helicopter and an airplane collide in mid-air over your elementary school playground, raining burning jet fuel and debris onto you and your classmates." That happened at our school, in 1991. We can only give birth to our children, do the best we can, and pray that they will be all right.

Jennifer Hagel Smith had an extensive interview with Joe Scarborough on MSNBC. He keeps repeating it. She made lots of her claims like the cruise line making her leave the ship and leaving her belongings on the dock and that she was not accompanied by RCCL personnel. Scarborough is totally on her side but Richard Fain and Marie are doing other shows than his (larry King, Greta) including fellow MSNBC reporter Rita Cosby (monday night)

2 press releases within 2 months from RCCL. The first was after Jennifer's announcement of suit, followed by the Smiths. The her on TV with her "Sorry the FBI told me not tot alk about it".......... BS!

She knows there is plenty against her, tho FBI supposed to have told them she is OK. They do that & then track everythoing she says & does. They are waiting for her to join him, I bet!

I tried to prepare my son when he was small by telling him never to talk to strangers. One day when he was five and I was in a small variety store and he was looking at the toys while I stood nearby. The next thing I knew there he was screaming, "A stranger, a stranger!" and this little old gray haired lady was behind him not knowing where to turn. She had asked him if he was lost and he had a VERY strong reaction! I assured her it was okay but she was really scared when he started screaming.

The following week his preschool did a demonstration with him as a subject. They told the kids not to talk to any strangers then a man came in and said to my son, "Your Mom sent me for you" and my son just took his hand and went out of the classroom with him. He thought that since the man told him that I had sent for him he wasn't a stranger. I couldn't believe it.

I don't let my grandkids out of my sight for even a second when we are in public and that includes especially cruise ships.

Scary. You never know what kids will do.

Archived