handicap check in ?

bronxboy683

my family and I ( 3 ) are booked on the splendar 11/17/18 11/24/18 to mexican riveria. I dont walk very well and need a cane and a little help from my wife to get around. does carnival have any check in line just for handicapped passengers?.. On NCL, they do.

Not a separate line. Arrive at or after your Staggered Check In time. The Long Beach check in is extremely fast these days. Have gone thru the new setup three times since it’s been implemented and even if we didn’t have any Priority check in we’ve been onboard within 30 minutes.

There will be Carnival personal outside the Dome. Ask them and arrange wheelchair assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Handicap in-processing is all determined by the terminal personnel (which are not dedicated cruise line employees).

Both embarkation terminals I am most familiar with, NYC and Baltimore, use the priority lane for handicap to go through security, and use a bypass lane around the switchback queue lines to the regular check-in clerks. I've heard other terminals handle it differently.

Speaking of "personally" traveling with a handicap person. Why should we be treated differently? Any place we go, we get into lines like everyone else. Granted we have a scooter, so standing is not an issue, but we don't expect or ask for different treatment. However, if we are given special treatment, than I will take it.

Honestly, the special treatment just makes things worse in many cases.

When I have traveled with a relative in a scooter, she was pulled out of the beginning of the line (along with the others in her cabin) and rerouted around the line. When thinking about it, I cant ever remember sharing the line with anyone in a chair or scooter. It makes sense that they would reroute folks in chairs if the space is tight. Seems like more a logistics concern than "special treatment" .

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

Many of the ports have specific check in stations that are considered accessible (lowered desks - and they'll often have a moveable hard surface, even if it's just a clipboard - in case someone in a wheelchair needs to sign something). They frequently also bypass the switchbacks in the line ups (though not always).

If you require a cane as well as assistance from your wife, I recommend asking for wheelchair assistance to get on the ship. Sometimes the ramps can be quite steep or long. Better to be safe than risk a fall.

I would contact special services by e mail to request wheelchair assistance. I do not cruise until January and have neuropathy in my feet from Chemo, and though I can walk just fine (99% of the time) I can't stand for anything other than a short period of time (was in tears by the time our muster ended last cruise and I could barely walk afterwards), if check in at Long Beach is quick I am really good (or just make sure I have a place to sit down!), depending on how I am doing that day I may or may not need the chair!

I would contact special services by e mail to request wheelchair assistance. I do not cruise until January and have neuropathy in my feet from Chemo, and though I can walk just fine (99% of the time) I can't stand for anything other than a short period of time (was in tears by the time our muster ended last cruise and I could barely walk afterwards), if check in at Long Beach is quick I am really good (or just make sure I have a place to sit down!), depending on how I am doing that day I may or may not need the chair!
You may want to look into a cane seat. I got one for my dad because his knees are shot. It's been a life saver for him.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

my family and I ( 3 ) are booked on the splendar 11/17/18 11/24/18 to mexican riveria. I dont walk very well and need a cane and a little help from my wife to get around. does carnival have any check in line just for handicapped passengers?.. On NCL, they do.

When I went with my parent Dad had a walker and we rolled Mom onto the ship with a wheel chair. There was nothing special for check-in. If you don't bring your own chair, you can get assistance. Be really we got there at 11:30-ish and pretty much walked/rolled straight onto the ship. We stopped once on the ramp for Dad to rest. There is an elevator, but they weren't using it that day.

You can do the special Muster Drill in the Black Pearl dining room. Mom & Dad got pulled for that. There are people walking around looking for passengers with canes and walkers.

Debarkation was a breeze. We waited for our group to be called and every time they spotted the wheels we got pulled and put in front of the line. We were on the road from the parking garage at 9am.

Just ask outside.

Speaking of "personally" traveling with a handicap person. Why should we be treated differently? Any place we go, we get into lines like everyone else. Granted we have a scooter, so standing is not an issue, but we don't expect or ask for different treatment. However, if we are given special treatment, than I will take it.

Honestly, the special treatment just makes things worse in many cases.

I don't want special treatment I just can't stand for long periods of time.i either have to sit or be moving.i may need to hassle with a walker..in my opinion other cruise lines handle it better.

I don't want special treatment I just can't stand for long periods of time.i either have to sit or be moving.i may need to hassle with a walker..in my opinion other cruise lines handle it better.

There is plenty of seating except on the way onto the ship.

Not a separate line. Arrive at or after your Staggered Check In time. The Long Beach check in is extremely fast these days. Have gone thru the new setup three times since it’s been implemented and even if we didn’t have any Priority check in we’ve been onboard within 30 minutes.

There will be Carnival personal outside the Dome. Ask them and arrange wheelchair assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is the no dedicated handicapped line a new thing, Sadie? We have used it three times at Long Beach but it's been about two years or so. Twice, I had a health issue and the third time, my sister had an injury and was in a wheelchair.