Gluten Free Options in MDR

I've heard that if you are gluten free you can order your dinner the night before so they have time to prepare.

What options were you given? Was there a special Gluten Free menu with available options and you chose from those?

Or could you ask for what you felt like, for example, if you said you wanted steak, would they find a way to cook it for you gluten free?

Or did it just mean choosing from the items on the regular menu that are labeled gluten free which looks like 1 sometimes 2 entrees per night?

Thanks!

You can choose items of the next day's menu that they can make gluten free.

In Windjammer (buffet) you will speak to the chef and he/she will guide you to the GF items.

Make sure you tell special_needs@rccl.com about your dietary restrictions.

all of this!!

For specific options, my daughter got GF bread and GF spaghetti on the JotS. Otherwise, the proteins seems to be gluten free already...steak was fine, chicken, etc. In the WJ, they made her a GF Pizza (she got food poisoning from it, but that's due to undercooking - not the gluten). They were lacking for breakfast options, so we typically just want to MDR for that. Good luck!

If you like the GF rolls/bread, it really helps them to order extra the night before. They only bake so much and after the first night I had a standing order for 2x. It was awesome. A lot of the ports I had trouble getting any food because a lot of the natives simply dont get gluten free, so the extra carbs at the end of the day were great.

The GF pizza on Carnival was terrible. I haven't had it on RCCL, but I am hoping for better.

Which ship are you on? Although every ship will accommodate your needs, clearly

the larger ships have many more passengers, thus much more interaction with

people who have need of GF dining.

We have been cruising Royal since shortly after DH was diagnosed with celiac over 15 years ago. He has a much wider choice of foods now than previously, and there is much more of a desire on the part of the dining staff to accommodate needs.

We eat all over the ship and find good choices from MDR, Sorrento's, Park Café, Giovanni's, Chops and Windjammer. We haven't eaten in Jamie's.

There are pre-packaged GF hamburger and hotdog buns, but they some times run out; a good reason to communicate your needs early.

MDR and sometimes Windjammer make GF pancakes. Pasta is cooked upon request, allow extra time. Most larger ships have a special GF section in the

Windjammer, including mashed potatoes and gravy.

Be sure to meet your Head waiter if dining in MTD or request a chef in Windjammer. They will lead you a successful dining experience.

Enjoy!

Barb

We have found embarkation day to be a little rough in Windjammer and ok but not as accommodating as usual in the MDR (since no opportunity to pre-order). I recommend specialty dining on embarkation day if possible or gf pizza in Sorrento's. It's the pre-prepared kind widely available, my DD enjoyed it.

We were on the Anthem in May and every night in the main dining room the head waiter gave my husband the next night's menu so he could pick what he wanted. They were very helpful. After the first night, our waiter had gluten free bread on the table without having to ask for it. In the back of the Windjammer there is a gluten free section.

It was also noted on our reservation that my husband was gluten free. The head waiter had a list of quite a few people with allergies and he spoke to all every night.