Cell Phones Finally Work on Ships?

BoozeCruise2

Just trying to make a point.

In my daily life dealing with 'phone heads' I would have to say 95% of them are rude, inconsiderate, and clueless. I'm sure most of you are are the exception to the rule. But as habits work, the more considerate folks that start using their phones onboard, the more inconsiderate ones will follow.

Just curious, sitting at the dinner table on formal night, how are you going to feel when phones start ringing and your tablemates start talking on the phone during dinner? This IS NOT a wild, speculative idea, but an idea approaching a reality.

Can and should cells be used on a cruise...not my decision to make. However I would suggest only using them in your cabins, or on land.

As for being worried or having to constantly check in on the family, If you do not trust them, then why go on vacation? If someone is on their deathbed why drag your problems on board and put them in everyone elses lap.

Seems truly inconsiderate.

Just my opinion,

Dave:eek:

Dave, I have been on many cruises, never has a cell phone rang at dinner time and disturbed my meal. I bring my cell phone, so I can use it at my convenience, I do not carry it around on the ship and disturb others. In fact I have never even seen a cell phone in the dining rooms. I just think you are making a generalization about all cell phone users and that is just not so.

Thank you for correcting me.

I tend to get overpassionate on certain subjects, and this is one of them.

I stand corrected. Thanks:)

I get overpassionate on this subject at times as well, and hate to think if Verizon were on a no roaming basis (on the cruise ship).

But I can say when my teenagres started driving and leaving the house when others were driving, I was VERY happy both they and I had a cell phone.

Happy Cruising!

If people must call on a ship (I find email good enough for me but not everyone has email) they would probably have to go up on deck, hopefully away from everyone else.

NOT true at all. I've used my phone many times on Navigator since they installed this new system and it works quite well IN MY CABIN!

....and I am the kind of person who at an expensive restaurant will cancel my order and leave if people start talking on their phones.
I have had an idea for a restaurant called "Steel Walls" which would be exactly that...no reception. Advertise it as that and if someone with a cell doesn't like it...there's always MacDonald's

Who has been hit 5 times in the past two years but people talking on their cells and NOT paying attention to their driving. I am the kind of person who will not pay $9.00 to go to the movies anymore because of the cell phone interuptions that constantly occur, and I am the kind of person who at an expensive restaurant will cancel my order and leave if people start talking on their phones.

There are those who are rigorous 'ban all smoking' I am of the ' ban cell phones in public' mindset.

I have a business. I have a home. I have 3 dogs, two cats, and a parrot.

I travel frequently. I do not own a cell phone.

I do not call home when I am on vacation. I leave competant friends and neighbors in charge of my home, life, business, and 'kids'.

I have never had a problem, and hope I never will.

My life returns to normal when I return home. This is why people vacation: To get away from their daily lives, not bring it along with them.

The bottom line, If something were to happen to my home, I am comfortable knowing my neighbors will make the right decisions. If something happened to my 'kids' the vets and emergency vet info is posted on my fridge as well as plumber, electrician, police, fire dept. etc.

Worse case scenario, If someone were to die, theres really nothing I could do about it being thousands of miles away from home, and their body isn't going anywhere by itself.

So I hope that explains the kind of person I am. but just in case you didn't get it....I don't infringe upon others especially during their vacations...and I don't expect to be infringed upon by others.

Yep it shows what kind of person you are alright. You obvisouly don't care about your family by saying something like:

Worse case scenario, If someone were to die, theres really nothing I could do about it being thousands of miles away from home, and their body isn't going anywhere by itself.

Yeah, nothing you can do except maybe fly home from one of the ports to support your faimly in their time of grief, or is your precious vacation worth to darn much to you for even that.

"Yeah, nothing you can do except maybe fly home from one of the ports to support your faimly in their time of grief, or is your precious vacation worth to darn much to you for even that."

My precious vacation is worth darn too much.

Sorry, but reality is reality.

A dead body is going nowhere. Its not worth the effort to schedule a flight and fly home on the drop of a dime just to stand around crying with friends and relatives over something that we have no control over. not to mention the added expense ( that could cut into my next cruise! ).

And I really would not want to know about this until I returned home.

I can support my family and friends WITHOUT physically being there or personally speaking with them. Its a given in my family. We love eachother but we are spread out over the country and understand that sometimes its just not possible to drop everything and rush to the bedside of the dead or dying.

Dave

I would just like to say I know where you are coming from and I agree with alot of what you have said :)

I have a cell phone out here in the USA and use it when needed. What bugs me is everytime I see someone driving erratically (Spellcheck?) or making some stupid manoevure in their car, they are ALWAYS ON THEIR CELL PHONE!!!

Their use whilst driving unless using a handsfree headset should be BANNED as it is in Washington DC and the UK.

Also when I am in a Museum or somewhere like that, turn it off, NOBODY is that important. I was in the Holocaust museum in Washington Dc and people were using them, I found it extremely disrespectful.

Also when I see people at the gas stations using them, DON'T THESE PEOPLE REALISE!!!

Okay, venting done.... :rolleyes:

NO NO NO... people with cell phones are NOT rude. People who use cell phones rudely are rude... There are a vast quantity of people around you that have a cell phone in their pocket that you dont even know about. They only alter you if you allow them to. You're giving the phone way to much credit.

ORANGEinINDY - I just wanted to say I love your icon!!! GO SU!!!

An '02 Grad :)

I think everyone has their own unique and correct opinion of cell phones. It is the use and etiquite of using a cell phone that is not unique to each person. The simple fact is if you want to use your phone, make sure you step out of the public area and use it descreetly. No one can argue about what they don't see and hear.

In my job I see a lot of the effects of cell phone use on driving and other public behavoirs. I know they can cause accidents:( and can also be used to get help to that accident quickly:) . It is a free choice to use them, but not a free choice to infringe on others.

On the initial thread topic......anyone know if cingular works in the caribbean?:o

"Yeah, nothing you can do except maybe fly home from one of the ports to support your faimly in their time of grief, or is your precious vacation worth to darn much to you for even that."

A dead body is going nowhere. Its not worth the effort to schedule a flight and fly home on the drop of a dime just to stand around crying with friends and relatives over something that we have no control over. not to mention the added expense ( that could cut into my next cruise! ).

I can support my family and friends WITHOUT physically being there or personally speaking with them. Its a given in my family. We love eachother but we are spread out over the country and understand that sometimes its just not possible to drop everything and rush to the bedside of the dead or dying.

Dave I was going to just read this thread and let you rant and rave but I think you crossed a line..If some one who I LOVED died while I was on ANY vacation I'd want to know so I could make arrangements to get home ASAP to help consoul other LOVED ONES!!! to me you are one HEARTLESS BA&*edARD:mad: :mad: :mad:

Dave I was going to just read this thread and just let you rant and rave but you have crossed the line and I think you are COLD & HEARTLESS:mad:

If I were on any vacation and a loved one died I'd want to know so that I could make arrangements to get back home to console my other LOVED ONES:mad:

PS--I hope this thread gets pulled it really went over the line and to those other then Dave I sorry if I offened you

In posting MY OPINION, I have not crossed the line as you say. I only posted what I would do or not do in a hypothetical case.

Call me what you will, you have that right, however I'm sure I could find objectionable things that you do in your life that I would dissagree with.

This thread was originally about cell phones and usage onboard, and while I'll admit to going off topic a bit it was only to make a point.

The point is that Cellphones have a place in manys lives, they have no place in mine.

And while I do not have a right to tell others how or when to use them, I also ask for the consideration to not be bothered by those who abuse their phones by talking loudly, and in inappropriate places where they may be disturbing others, not to mention annoying ringtones.

I respect your right to your opinion, and I think we can amicably agree to disagree on this topic.:p

And while I do not have a right to tell others how or when to use them, I also ask for the consideration to not be bothered by those who abuse their phones by talking loudly, and in inappropriate places where they may be disturbing others, not to mention annoying ringtones.

This statement I totally agree with, however, I am glad to know that when I do need to use my cell phone on deck (because it won't work in my cabin) to call for my excursion pickup ride, you won't be walking up behind me to tell me off! Hang in there Dave!

I can support my family and friends WITHOUT physically being there or personally speaking with them. Its a given in my family. We love eachother but we are spread out over the country and understand that sometimes its just not possible to drop everything and rush to the bedside of the dead or dying. Dave

There is a big difference between not being able to help and not wanting to help. If you're on a cruise ship out in the ocean it may not be possible for you to do anything if a family member has an emergency. You however, don't want to do anything or know anything because you are on vacation. How can you say that you are supporting your family or friends without being there or speaking to them when you don't even want to know what's going on.

Back on topic here....I called Royal Carribean to inquire about the advertised cell phone use on Freedom of the Seas and the lady on the phone didn't have a clue about it. Needless to say I was a bit dissapointed but it's possible she was not up to speed on things.

It would really make my vacation if this comes to fruition. Hopefully this topic will stay alive until someone finds out.

Stay Classy,

BC2

I find in general those with cells are rude, arrogant, and more or less disrespectful to others.

So my question is why?

both my patner and I after truly discussing our needs and options DO NOT HAVE, AND DO NOT ENDORSE THESE BEHAVIOR ALTERING DEVICES.

When on vacation, We are on vacation, thats why we take them.

We are SICK AND TIRED of those whose phones ring in the middle of a movie, or most recently a play we paid over $100.00 a seat per person only to have a phone ring and the person answer.

You people are rude, disrespectful and of the " I paid for it" "Me, ME, Me" crowd.

I find the walkie talkies annoying enough when I am on vacation, and now cell phones....?

Who the hell do you HAVE too talk to? and WHY?

Its bad enough at an expensive restaurant people are talking loud and carrying on on their phones....THEY SHOULD BE BANNED.

And for the "Only in an emergency" crowd, what are you going to do, be helicopter lifted off the ship, fly home at the next port?

We cruise, vacation, we really go away to GET AWAY, not bring our sh*t with us.

What is your problem. A cell phone is nothing more than an unneeded, annoying gadget for lazy people that when used improperly (99% of the time ) annoys others and shows how rude and discouteous this country is becoming.:mad:

Maybe you and you partner should try one of the themed cruises that best suits your criteria. Maybe the NO CELL PHONE CRUISE!:rolleyes:

Back on topic here....I called Royal Carribean to inquire about the advertised cell phone use on Freedom of the Seas and the lady on the phone didn't have a clue about it. Needless to say I was a bit dissapointed but it's possible she was not up to speed on things.

It would really make my vacation if this comes to fruition. Hopefully this topic will stay alive until someone finds out.

Stay Classy,

BC2

The customer service reps are totally clueless about MOST things... Call them 3 different times with the same question and you'll usually get 3 different answers! :rolleyes:

I find in general those with cells are rude, arrogant, and more or less disrespectful to others.

So my question is why?

both my patner and I after truly discussing our needs and options DO NOT HAVE, AND DO NOT ENDORSE THESE BEHAVIOR ALTERING DEVICES.

When on vacation, We are on vacation, thats why we take them.

We are SICK AND TIRED of those whose phones ring in the middle of a movie, or most recently a play we paid over $100.00 a seat per person only to have a phone ring and the person answer.

You people are rude, disrespectful and of the " I paid for it" "Me, ME, Me" crowd.

I find the walkie talkies annoying enough when I am on vacation, and now cell phones....?

Who the hell do you HAVE too talk to? and WHY?

Its bad enough at an expensive restaurant people are talking loud and carrying on on their phones....THEY SHOULD BE BANNED.

And for the "Only in an emergency" crowd, what are you going to do, be helicopter lifted off the ship, fly home at the next port?

We cruise, vacation, we really go away to GET AWAY, not bring our sh*t with us.

What is your problem. A cell phone is nothing more than an unneeded, annoying gadget for lazy people that when used improperly (99% of the time ) annoys others and shows how rude and discouteous this country is becoming.:mad:

Normal people in todays "normal" society use cellular telephones. Just because you don't have a need for one really doesn't make the rest of the cell phone users "rude,arrogant or disrespectful". As a matter of fact, the fact that you don't use one, kind of makes you abnormal!

Try having an auto accident where you are bleeding to death, I bet you would be thankful for the "rude" person who dialed 911 for you!

Or would you refuse service because that would be condoning cell phone use? I have a seventeen year old driver, live in the mountains and have a husband that is in law enforcement. When my cell phone rings I am thankful when the caller just called to chat. If my phone rings for an emergency whether I am in a restaraunt or a theatre, I am pretty sure I won't give a damn what you think having your dinner or movie disturbed.:eek:

I would love to be on a cruise with dave....

I would constantly follow him with my phone ringing, occasionally crashing into him on my Rascal Scooter....lol

I bet Dave is the guy in the neighborhood that keeps all the kids stray balls and frisbees....lol.

Mean old Mr. Dave....lighten up Francis !!!!!

Have you taken your meds.? You need to chill out and relax.

Not everyone who uses a cell phone is rude. I have carried on for a long time and I can not tell you the last time it rang. It has been on vibrate for years. I always talk low even while talking to someone I am seated with as I do not feel it is anyones business what I am talking about. I do the same thing while on a cell phone or any other phone.

Some people care about their families and want to be able to stay in touch. That is their choice.

Just a question to Dave

Why do you ask for respect if you're so unrespectful?

Your "apology" was almost as bad as your first post.

Remember that almost always you get what you give, judge others without knowledge and that's exactly what you'll get.

Its called Maritime Telecommunications Network (MTN) Carnival Valor now has this system and is also the first ship to go 100% WIFI Internet from bow to stern, all ships are now upgrading there systems as well.

MTN has to provide 2 cell phone systems with both technologies, CDMA which is what Sprint and Verison uses and the other one is GSM which is what Cingular and T-Mobile uses.

Currently the following Cruiselines has the onboard Cell phone systems and the others are still testing (MTN)

Carnival Testing

Celebrity Full service

Costa Full service

Crystal Testing

Holland Testing

NCL Full Service

Oceania Testing

Radisson Testing

RCCL Full Service

Silversea Testing

The call goes from you to the Ships Distrubution C Band Satellite Antenna system to MTN network in Miami, then from

there its routed to what ever service you are using to 230+ US and International Roaming partners.

The cost of the call depends on a number of factors. But for now they are Cingular 1.99 per min. 3.00 Sprint per minute

and 4.99 for T-mobile per minute.

Archived