Native Choice Tours vs Island Marketing

vacationlover16

Good Morning! We are cruising to Costa Maya for the first time in October. I would like to visit the Chacchoben ruins and both companies offer a tour. Prices and offerings are similar. However, Island Marketing’s tour includes a stop at a butterfly farm that I think my six and four year old would love. They both have great reviews on trip advisor but Native Choice has considerably more & seems to be the #1 choice for the area. If you have used both companies which would you recommend? Thanks in advance for any guidance provided!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Island Marketing is a middle man type company offering tours to cruisers and others for smaller vendors who may not have the resources to advertise and get customers on their own. That said, they have a very good reputation and do screen the vendors they use. Not sure who the vendors are in Costa Maya, but have heard that the butterfly farm is more of a private research site at a local hacienda.

Native Choice is a wonderful small company in Neuvo Mahahual just outside the cruise port. As I recall, the owners are and some of the drivers are of Mayan descent. Not sure which tour you ae looking at but the Mayan immersion tour that also goes to a small village and you see recreations of Mayan life and enjoy some of the Mayan dishes for lunch, is very educational.

Regardless which of these companies you select, you'll find smaller groups and more personalized guiding. Chacchoben has been excavated fairly extensively and is an easy site to walk around.

Agree, Native Choice was Great day for us! We did the Extreme tour which included the Ruins and Bacalar Lagoon/kayak/lunch. Hope you enjoy your day

I am also thinking about this tour. Can you share more details or pictures?? Thanks!

Sorry, no pictures to share, but you should be able to find reviews online. We didn't sign up in advance but walked to their office and they were able to include us on one of their buses. It is a fairly long walk out of the port area and to the street from the ship so allow 30 minutes or more to get there. We have been to this port multiple times so knew our way, but still plenty of people to get around, etc.

Tour guide was very good and took us to a different area of the Ruins 1st where less people were. We were able to climb up and walk around one area, not too difficult or steep. Another area no climbing allowed. We saw half dozen monkeys here swinging from tree branches which was fun too! Bring bug spray, you'll want it. They had provided some as well if you forgot. It's close to an hour ride to the Ruins and then 30 or so to the Bacalar Lagoon Resort. We ordered lunch and got our beach chairs. Beers, soda, margaritas during our 2 hour stay. Kayaks to use so we paddled around for a bit to look at the mangroves. Some went snorkeling or swimming as well .I'd recommend water shoes as it was rocky but there was a ladder available to get in and out of water. Changing rooms here as well. Very clean and nice resort. Food was good also. We saw butterflies and various plants, lots of pineapple fields which we stopped at a roadside stand to purchase on the return ride back to the port. We really enjoyed our day! Excellent company and great value for all included