Prices in Cuba

Molly BPOE

We are traveling to Cuba for the first time in late August and would like to know how to budget. What are the prices for items? Anything from cheap souvenirs to good quality crafts and art. We will most likely be purchasing some of each and want to know how much money we should exchange. Thank you for any input.

We are traveling to Cuba for the first time in late August and would like to know how to budget. What are the prices for items? Anything from cheap souvenirs to good quality crafts and art. We will most likely be purchasing some of each and want to know how much money we should exchange. Thank you for any input.

Earlier reply, just a few posts down on this thread.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2650426

Earlier reply, just a few posts down on this thread.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2650426

Thank you for your reply, but that post does not answer my question. That post simply stated what that person paid for each activity. "50 in the straw market" does not tell me much. How many items did they buy? What types of items did they buy? I am interested in knowing (ballpark) how much items run. I do sincerely appreciate you providing a link to that post. Have a great day.

It won't hurt much to over budget. If you are there for 2 days, then you can better figure out how much you need for day 2. If only 1 day and you over budget, you can exchange the extra CUC for USD. The exchange fee back is also 3%.

In all of the posts I have been reading in CC and TA, I have never seen a post with the amount of detail you are asking for.

You can post this same question on TA and you might get a better response.

It's not a question one can realistically answer. At Almacenes San Jose we got 5 fridge magnets for 2CUC and a set of 6 solid wooden place mats and matching coasters for 30CUC (typical stall: https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g147271-d1948790-Reviews-Almacenes_San_Jose-Havana_Ciudad_de_la_Habana_Province_Cuba.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=210696246 ). Bought a fedora straw hat for 3 CUC and a Havana Club tote bag for 8CUC. Bought 2 small souvenir style posters on canvas for 5CUC each. T-shirts were overpriced for the quality so left them alone - nothing decent for less than 15CUC, which is 5 dollars more than I paid for T-shirts of higher quality from Japan last month.

There are many clever Cuban themed souvenirs for under 10CUC, and some very colourful real paintings (go to the stalls where the artists will be actually be painting https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g147271-d1948790-Reviews-Almacenes_San_Jose-Havana_Ciudad_de_la_Habana_Province_Cuba.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=179904735 ) ranging into the high hundreds depending on size and "originality".

Prices are not always marked and a good amount of bargaining is needed to get things at a reasonable price for the quality on offer.

It's not a question one can realistically answer. At Almacenes San Jose we got 5 fridge magnets for 2CUC and a set of 6 solid wooden place mats and matching coasters for 30CUC (typical stall: https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g147271-d1948790-Reviews-Almacenes_San_Jose-Havana_Ciudad_de_la_Habana_Province_Cuba.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=210696246 ). Bought a fedora straw hat for 3 CUC and a Havana Club tote bag for 8CUC. Bought 2 small souvenir style posters on canvas for 5CUC each. T-shirts were overpriced for the quality so left them alone - nothing decent for less than 15CUC, which is 5 dollars more than I paid for T-shirts of higher quality from Japan last month.

There are many clever Cuban themed souvenirs for under 10CUC, and some very colourful real paintings (go to the stalls where the artists will be actually be painting https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g147271-d1948790-Reviews-Almacenes_San_Jose-Havana_Ciudad_de_la_Habana_Province_Cuba.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=179904735 ) ranging into the high hundreds depending on size and "originality".

Prices are not always marked and a good amount of bargaining is needed to get things at a reasonable price for the quality on offer.

Thank you! This is the type of information I was asking for! I just wanted a ballpark figure on what things cost :D

Thank you! This is the type of information I was asking for! I just wanted a ballpark figure on what things cost :D

Almacenes San Jose was still closed as at yesterday although would otherwise probably be the cheapest place in Havana for souvenirs. Perhaps other recent travellers to Havana know where many of the stall holders have set up in the interim - sorry that I do not know.

Lots of tourists never end up getting to Almacenes and willingly buy off the streets in Havana because the prices seem relatively inexpensive. We found as a general rule that apart from very cheap items like fridge magnets, it was not unusual for the same items to be about 2/3 the price at Almacenes. So if you do end up buying off the street, accepting the first price from the vendor gives them a nice profit.