Handicap boarding (Carnival Dream in NOLA)

Sundiego

Hi folks, I am posting this for a relative. I have personally sailed out of New Orleans a few times but am not handicapped so I need help answering some questions!

So my sister-in-law has Parkinsons and is not able to walk long distances. She will need a wheelchair once inside the terminal and ESPECIALLY to get up the gangway on to the ship. Once onboard, she can pretty much make her way around without help.

I am assuming someone from the port authority will take her up to security and then once inside Carnival's check-in area she will have an assist from Carnival staff to wheel her to a holding area, and then eventually on to the ship. Is this correct?

They are trying to purchase FTTF but it is sold out currently. They will buy it if and when availability opens back up. But either way, she needs a wheelchair assist.

So, can somebody educate me on how handicap boarding works with Carnival in New Orleans? Thank you!!

~Denise

PS This is a repost of a question I posted on the Gulf Coast Departures board. Thanks for any help!

Hi folks, I am posting this for a relative. I have personally sailed out of New Orleans a few times but am not handicapped so I need help answering some questions!

So my sister-in-law has Parkinsons and is not able to walk long distances. She will need a wheelchair once inside the terminal and ESPECIALLY to get up the gangway on to the ship. Once onboard, she can pretty much make her way around without help.

I am assuming someone from the port authority will take her up to security and then once inside Carnival's check-in area she will have an assist from Carnival staff to wheel her to a holding area, and then eventually on to the ship. Is this correct?

They are trying to purchase FTTF but it is sold out currently. They will buy it if and when availability opens back up. But either way, she needs a wheelchair assist.

So, can somebody educate me on how handicap boarding works with Carnival in New Orleans? Thank you!!

~Denise

PS This is a repost of a question I posted on the Gulf Coast Departures board. Thanks for any help!

Yes, you just ask at the terminal for assistance. There is no special boarding area.

Yes, you just ask at the terminal for assistance. There is no special boarding area.

Thanks Elaine. Does she request help before entering the terminal where the luggage porters are or inside the building? And will they wheel her through security, check-in and up the gangway? Just trying to know ahead of time how much walking she will need to do on her own. Appreciate the help.

~Denise

Contact your PVP or travel agent and have them request wheel chair assistance. We are going out of New Orleans in December.

My wife is also handicapped and when we booked she told them and they have her down for wheel chair assistance to get her on board.

We have never sailed from new orleans, but the several times we have sailed out of port canaveral with our son with cerebral palsy, the port staff saw him in a wheelchair and guided us to the wheelchair entrance, bypassing longer lines etc

We have sailed from New Orleans multiple times. I understand your concerns. My husband has Parkinson and uses a mobility scooter. in addition, We have had wheelchair assist for me the last time we were on the Dream. I would contact the guest access team for Carnival. You can find contact info and more info on accessibility on their website.

I found the Carnival team to be very helpful at the port with wheelchair assistance, getting us both through security and checked in. There is no special boarding, but we only had a short wait before going aboard. If I use wheelchair assistance, I make sure to tip my pusher.

You can also arrange assistance when you disembark.

We had a great time on the Dream, enjoy your cruise.

Thanks everyone for the replies. She has contacted Carnival special needs. I guess where I'm confused is that the porters, etc., are not Carnival employees, they work for the Port of New Orleans. So I am wondering how they do the transition from the port people to the Carnival people? Probably over thinking this, but my sis-in-law and her companion (a girlfriend) are not super experienced cruisers. My husband and I will not be joining them so I just want to put her mind at ease before departure date arrives (October).

Thanks so much for the replies!!

~Denise

Thanks everyone for the replies. She has contacted Carnival special needs. I guess where I'm confused is that the porters, etc., are not Carnival employees, they work for the Port of New Orleans. So I am wondering how they do the transition from the port people to the Carnival people? Probably over thinking this, but my sis-in-law and her companion (a girlfriend) are not super experienced cruisers. My husband and I will not be joining them so I just want to put her mind at ease before departure date arrives (October).

Thanks so much for the replies!!

~Denise

Denise, they don't. You don't obtain wheelchair assistance until you are physically inside the building. You have to be able to get yourself from the curb into the building. Fortunately, it is not a very long distance in NOLA. Do be careful, though, because they are enforcing check-in times. If she was to arrive outside of her check-in window, she will have to stand in line.

Also, you say she is not able to walk long distances. EVERYTHING on the ship requires a lot of walking. They may want to consider getting a wheelchair, rollator, or scooter for use on the ship.

~Denise

You are correct.

Denise, they don't. You don't obtain wheelchair assistance until you are physically inside the building. You have to be able to get yourself from the curb into the building. Fortunately, it is not a very long distance in NOLA. Do be careful, though, because they are enforcing check-in times. If she was to arrive outside of her check-in window, she will have to stand in line.

Also, you say she is not able to walk long distances. EVERYTHING on the ship requires a lot of walking. They may want to consider getting a wheelchair, rollator, or scooter for use on the ship.

Thanks for this info. We cruised with her on the Miracle out of Los Angeles in October and she was able to navigate the ship very well, although at her own pace. But being swept up in a crowd at the terminal is what can be overwhelming, and the gangway is often slightly uphill which could be challenging as well. I think she'll be fine on the ship, once she's on it :)

~Denise