Shanghai to Tokyo--- March 28,2019

My husband and I are booked on this cruise. We are thinking about doing our own Overland trip while docked

in Kyoto (Kobe) Japan. We would value anyones opinions. We would get off the ship and go to Kyoto. Stay in a hotel of our own choice. Hire our own private guide while in Kyoto. Eat where we want and see what we want while there and hopefully make it back to the ship before it leaves for Shimizu, Japan. Better than schlepping back and forth. All suggestions on our idea are welcomed.

If you are steak eaters, you must eat a meal of the famous Kobe beef. There are quite a few restaurants specializing in the prep and serving of Kobe beef and it is generally not available in the US (US Kobe beef is from US or Australian wagyu bred or wagyu mixed breed cattle). Great experience, served hibachi style (we sat w/ a group of giggling Japanese females who found us amusing). It is truly a once in a lifetime experience for a "steak freak". (and less expensive than a US steakhouse) Kyoto is chock full of temples and a quick train ride from Kobe. Japan is phenomenal. Great food, great service, trains run on time, etc. We try to visit our good friend, who is a native Japanese) whenever possible. The Japanese are perfectionists with great pride and their Italian, French, Chinese, etc. foods are equal to or better than one can get in Italy, France, or China. We have never been disappointed. Japan is a hoot. (google Kobe or Wagyu beef to learn more about it) An overnight stay in Osaka should also be doable as an alternative to Kyoto.

Something to consider including in your tour of Kyoto is a visit to Saiho-ji, or as it is more commonly known, Koke-dera, the Moss Temple. Special permission is required, but it is not difficult to do. Instructions are online. We lived in Japan for several years, and visiting Koke-dera was one of my most memorable experiences. Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your trip! It is a really interesting itinerary.

We highly recommend hiring a private guide. We have greatly enjoyed Naoki Doi (doitx451@ybb.ne.jp) and Kimi (ihiroy358@ezweb.ne.jp). You really need two days to see the top sites, not just the beautiful temples and gardens but the famed bamboo forest and geishas. For a splurge Franco-Japanese dinner, we recommend Misoguigawa restaurant overlooking the Kamo River, with an outside table if weather permits.

Mrstanley - I think that your inclination to do your own thing in Kyoto is a marvelous idea. We spent a week or so in Kyoto a couple of years ago before a cruise from Tokyo and loved Kyoto and the surrounding area. A day trip from Kyoto to Nara is a worthwhile endeavor. You might consider Hotel Granvia in Kyoto, as it is both very comfortable and, huge bonus, located on top of the main Kyoto train station, making day trips and your train back to the ship very convenient.

https://www.granviakyoto.com/

Even if you don't use any of Chris Rowthorn's private guides, his website is a treasure chest of good info regarding things to do in Kyoto: http://www.chrisrowthorn.com/tours/kyoto-walks/

As for guides, we had excellent luck with the private guides provided in Kyoto and Nara by Narawalk: http://www.narawalk.com/

If you are interested even slightly in beautiful gardens, Kyoto is a wonderland of such. Our favorite, though, is a fairly small private garden, Okochi Sanso Villa. It is located quite close to the Arashiyama Bamboo Grove.

https://www.insidekyoto.com/okochi-sanso-villa-arashiyama

Have fun planning your adventure. Cheers, Fred

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately we only spend one night in Kyoto. I need to get off the ship and get into the city . Dump my bags at a hotel and tour with a private guide during the day. Need to be back onboard the next day as the ship leaves at 3:00pm. Not much time.