Help choosing Alaska cruise

12Lawman

Looked at the Princess website..Looks like a lot of options and prices really seem to vary a lot between cruise lines and even with the same cruise lines..Gets very confusing..Lots of options with Princess..Just wondering if Princess is as nice as Holland America..

While I have sailed both with Holland America and Princess, I have not sailed on both to Alaska. I sailed on the Sapphire Princess with Princess Cruises to Mexico and based on that experience would not sail with them again. I have sailed to Alaska with Holland America Line and Celebrity and had great experiences with both lines.

I believe that Vancouver sailings are a bit more expensive for a few reasons. The ships navigate west of Vancouver Island to sail the southern Inside passage and I believe that route is more time intensive. There could be higher costs sailing to and from a foreign port. This is just my opinion and maybe a call to the cruise line could answer the question in cost. I think the extra dollars are worth the southern Inside passage views as there is so much more to see versus sailing the open Ocean to and from Seattle.

You could go North or South one-way starting or ending in Vancouver for less than roundtrip Vancouver, but you will usually have higher airfare costs.

Also, not all cruises out of Vancouver do the Southern Inside Passage, but I believe all Holland America Line cruises do.

We usually book a ocean view (no balcony) and we have been upgraded to balcony rooms at no charge. Buy private balconies are hit and miss in Alaska because of weather. Save the money and book an ocean view room for the natural light and the ability to check what is going on outside and then go to the 360-walk around Promenade deck on Holland America Line or one of the upper decks or even the Crow's Nest (inside) or bow when open for great views and food/drink service.

Glacier Bay is very nice to see and many Holland America Line routes do spend a day cruising Glacier Bay. We are visiting Hubbard Glacier for the first time and have heard it is quite lovely as well.

All and all, do what works best for you and your budget. May and September have less expensive prices (usually) than June, July, and August.

What other questions do you have?

I am going on the Volendam/HAL. I chose it for the R/T out of Vancouver. I know the entertainment is probably kinda blah. That's ok. I hear the food is decent and it only holds about 1400 passengers. Maybe you would like NCL for their entertainment if that is what is important to you. Be sure and save $$$ for the excursions. That is what Alaska is all about I have read.

I loved this ship and this itinerary when I did it back in May 2012. You will have a fantastic time. There are some "hidden" less known public balconies on the aft that I spent plenty of time on watching the wilderness and wildlife as we passed by.

What is "R" class ? I'm thinking I would prefer a larger ship just because there would be more to see and just to simply enjoy the majesty of it..What do you like about smaller ships and dislike about larger ones?

Even the small ships still have around 1400 guests onboard not including crew. The larger ships on Holland America Line can have up to 2200 or so guests onboard.

I notice Princess offers all the excursions on line and they can be selected at the time of booking..Pros and cons?????

Unless there is something you absolutely don't want to miss out on, I purchase my ship excursions on board because the cost of the excursion adds extra sea days on my loyalty account with Holland America Line. Each cruise line has a loyalty program and reward you in different ways. If you plan on cruising a lot, it can be helpful to pick a line, stick with them (if you like them) and rack up those extra perks.

I also will purchase private excursions at times rather than through the ship.

Seems that the round trip Holland America from Vancouver would be a good choice. Looks like 4 options as follows: Nieuw Amsterdam, Aug. 11 $1989.00 verandah.....2. Nieuw Amsterdam Sept. 8, $1299.00 ocean view.... 3. Volendam Aug. 22, $1199.00 inside ..4. Volendam Sept 12. $999.00 inside.... Suggestions???? Thanks!

What is "R" class ?

8 vessels that were built in the late 90s/early aughts for Renaissance cruise line. They fit 680-720 passengers, depending on configuration. It's a great size for us.

I should note that I don't cruise often. When I do, it tends to be a first overview of an area I've not been before to see where I might want to do more in depth exploring. Except Alaska -I cruise Alaska because it's a great way to see the area. I don't need entertainment or 17 restaurants and a water slide. I'm happy with my binoculars, a book, a bottle of wine and my balcony. I like being able to get to places quickly and not have to walk and walk down corridors. I like when a ship can sail up the river and dock in town in Bangkok or turn around in one of the smaller inlets in Glacier Bay (as the R class ships can do). Just my personal preference.

The larger ships on Holland America Line can have up to 2200 or so guests onboard.

HAL ships go from 2666 down to 1258. The lovely Maasdam, the first cruise I took with my husband ;-)

8 vessels that were built in the late 90s/early aughts for Renaissance cruise line. They fit 680-720 passengers, depending on configuration. It's a great size for us.

I should note that I don't cruise often. When I do, it tends to be a first overview of an area I've not been before to see where I might want to do more in depth exploring. Except Alaska -I cruise Alaska because it's a great way to see the area. I don't need entertainment or 17 restaurants and a water slide. I'm happy with my binoculars, a book, a bottle of wine and my balcony. I like being able to get to places quickly and not have to walk and walk down corridors. I like when a ship can sail up the river and dock in town in Bangkok or turn around in one of the smaller inlets in Glacier Bay (as the R class ships can do). Just my personal preference.

HAL ships go from 2666 down to 1258. The lovely Maasdam, the first cruise I took with my husband ;-)

So for you the balcony is worth the $..I would think that especially on this particular cruise the balcony might be worth the money..thanks..

Yes, for me a balcony is ALWAYS worth the money. When my husband and I cruised Alaska in 2007, we saw SO MUCH wildlife just sitting on our balcony with our binoculars. We were flabbergasted when we'd lean out and look down the side of the ship and see so few people! Every night at dinner, we'd talk about what we'd seen and everyone was amazed....but no one else ever spent time outside actually looking, so I'm not sure how they expected to see anything :p

[my avatar on the board is a photo of me on my balcony from that 2007 cruise;p]

Thanks for your help..My problem is turning loose of $7000.00 and having nothing to show for it a week later..;p..;)

Well, life is all about choices and preferences. There are plenty of people who decide that spending less money on an inside cabin because they're on deck all the time is a great thing, and then they can spend that money on something else (another cruise, fancy excursions, whatever). We can point you to reviews of what people have done in the past, but we can't tell you what is *best* for you or decide how to spend your money ;)

So for you the balcony is worth the $..I would think that especially on this particular cruise the balcony might be worth the money..thanks..

One thing to consider about balconies is how much time to you plan to be out there and is it worth the extra cost. Alaska is a port intensive itinerary especially out of Vancouver so how much time do you have to be out there. One of the neat feature of cruising Glacier Bay is the ship's bow is open for you to access during the sailing. The Crow's Nest is enclosed on Deck 11 (Nieuw Amsterdam) and Deck 9 (ms Volendam). There is a naturalist on board during the Glacier Bay sailing to narrate what you are seeing and they are stationed in the Crow's Nest and usually can be heard through the ships PA system.

Best of luck making your decision. If you would like a breakdown of my cabin choices to Alaska, I have included them below. :)

Here is a breakdown of my trips and the cabins I have chosen. I have done inside, ocean view, and balconies in Alaska.

September 2010: Balcony with Plexiglass, Covered, Forward Deck 5 on ms Oosterdam. When weather was good, one day, I spent time out on deck. Most of the time weather was rainy and I was exposed to the elements.

May 2012: Inside Cabin, Aft Deck 7 on ms Voledam. I am not a fan of inside cabins, but the access the the "private" public deck at the Aft of Deck 7 was perfect.

May 2013: Booked an Ocean View on ms Westerdam and was upgraded for free to Balcony Aft Deck 4 no cover from the elements. It was so hot on some days, we couldn't spend time on the balcony and on rainy days there was no cover from the rain. Another interesting thing with Aft balconies is the soot from the ships stack gets on the furniture and has to be wiped down before use.

September 2015: Ocean View on Celebrity's Infinity

September 2016: Ocean View on ms Nordam - This was a great cruise because we did the land tour D5L before the cruise and had great weather from Denali to Anchorage on the train.

April 2017: Booked an Ocean View on ms Amsterdam and was upgraded for free to a balcony. This trip wasn't Alaska, but a Pacific Coastal cruise from San Diego to Vancouver and the weather mostly was wet and rainy like Alaska can be so we didn't use our balcony that much.

August 2018: Booked an Ocean view on the ms Amsterdam, haven't received our room assignment yet.

Unless there is a really great deal or I get upgraded for free, I still choose ocean view rooms, but there is my personal perference.

I should have clarified by saying the larger ships on HAL that sail to Alaska lol like the Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam per HAL's website. The Nieuw Statendam is at 2666 but does not sail to Alaska, at least not yet. One of my favorite ships was the Volendam, because of it size and midweek sailing meant less people in ports vs the weekend sailings that a lot of the major cruse lines do. :)

Seems that the round trip Holland America from Vancouver would be a good choice. Looks like 4 options as follows: Nieuw Amsterdam, Aug. 11 $1989.00 verandah.....2. Nieuw Amsterdam Sept. 8, $1299.00 ocean view.... 3. Volendam Aug. 22, $1199.00 inside ..4. Volendam Sept 12. $999.00 inside.... Suggestions???? Thanks!

August 11 on the Nieuw Amsterdam whether you take a veranda or ocean view. The days are longer and this is a very nice ship.

That's it. Wow...booking up fast. Are you calling HAL directly? I am going August 15th. I would choose August over September. " Chance" of better weather vs September. Wanted to make sure Tracy Arm would be assessable for the small boat excursion that HAL offers so I wanted to go later in the season.

Also, if you book with HAL, you can always transfer your booking to a travel agent before final payment.

That's it. Wow...booking up fast. Are you calling HAL directly? I am going August 15th. I would choose August over September. " Chance" of better weather vs September. Wanted to make sure Tracy Arm would be assessable for the small boat excursion that HAL offers so I wanted to go later in the season.

Also, if you book with HAL, you can always transfer your booking to a travel agent before final payment.

Why would one want to transfer booking to a travel agent?

Looking at my first cruise to Alaska next year. I am torn between the Nieuw Amsterdam and solstice.

Very different options.

Others will disagree with me as this is all personal preference, but Solstice probably wins on the ship, as long as you are OK with big ships. But, that itinerary isn't the best - it misses glacier bay (all Celebrity ships miss it) and doesn't hit Hubbard either. And, you leave from Seattle while most prefer to leave from Vancouver. It's not bad, and you're sure to have fun, but I'd only go this route if put a premium on the ship.

Nieuw Amsterdam wins on itinerary, with what I'd consider the best Alaskan itinerary right now. The ship is still very good, but may not have the wow factor that the Solstice has. I'd go this route if you put a premium on the itinerary.

Very different options.

Others will disagree with me as this is all personal preference, but Solstice probably wins on the ship, as long as you are OK with big ships. But, that itinerary isn't the best - it misses glacier bay (all Celebrity ships miss it) and doesn't hit Hubbard either. And, you leave from Seattle while most prefer to leave from Vancouver. It's not bad, and you're sure to have fun, but I'd only go this route if put a premium on the ship.

Nieuw Amsterdam wins on itinerary, with what I'd consider the best Alaskan itinerary right now. The ship is still very good, but may not have the wow factor that the Solstice has. I'd go this route if you put a premium on the itinerary.

Interesting...Before posting I thought I wanted as large a ship as I could find but after reading what others say here I am reconsidering..Perhaps on this particular cruise a smaller ship might be better..

Are you looking for this year? If you book now for next summer you can get a better deal. Make sure you look at the itinerary as well. You will want to have lots of time in Juneau and Ketchikan as they are interesting places with lots to see.

We went with Celebrity twice (round trip out of Vancouver) and both times we saw Hubbard Glacier. It was beautiful and awe inspiring. Some day we might get to Glacier Bay, but I don't feel like my life is incomplete without seeing it. We also enjoy the food and entertainment on Celebrity and the crew is always so wonderful to us.

As others have said, in Alaska it's about the itinerary and not so much about the ship.

Why would one want to transfer booking to a travel agent?

Many travel agents offer perks that you do not receive when booking directly with a cruise line. And that's about all I can say without breaking any CC rules .;p

Also, many people (not me ;-) prefer to have a TA to organize things and relieve them of any stress from travel planning. I LOVE travel planning, so if I use a TA, it is ONLY for the perks and not to organize my trip for me or offer recommendations. If you are new to a certain kind of travel (cruising, river cruising, luxury travel, safari) experienced TAs can be very helpful. Or so I've heard. Again, I do all my own leg work.....

Very different options.

Since we probably won’t be able to do this cruise a second time very soon, I think HA ticks all the boxes (or most). Thank you!