Central Park vs. Boardwalk balconies??

We love the Boardwalk balconies on Oasis class - the farther aft the better. Our absolutely favorite cabin is 10329 (or same on deck 11), which we've been able to get for most of our sailings. It gives us a spectacular wake view (our preferred cabins on other ships is a full aft), plus a prime view of the Aqua Theatre and rock climbing walls. yes there is some noise, but not enough to bother us - it's solely a matter of personal preference. Most of the time, even if something is happening on the Boardwalk, with doors closed you can't really hear anything. Once we were midway down on deck 8, the closest to the Boardwalk, and it was still ok. Not as good for us as the far afts, but not a problem either. The Boardwalk is very beautiful and usually very quiet at night (once shows/movies are done). Again, personal preference only - everyone has to decide what's right for them!:D

For a change we booked a CP balcony on the Symphony in June. Did not like it all. No privacy - we could see into the cabins opposite and I assume they could see into ours. No nets on the balcony meant that we had to always keep the full drapes closed when relaxing in the cabin or staying aware of what others could see. Luckily our settee was nearest the balcony rather than the bed, but cabins opposite had the bed nearest the balcony and we saw some very unintentional unpleasant sights! Also, we were on deck 14 and had to keep the balcony door closed all night as we'd be woken many times by revellers in the hot tubs and on the pool deck above and opposite drinking, talking, shouting and laughing.

Why would you need your balcony door opened at night?

Bill

We did a boardwalk balcony on the Harmony TA. Did not care for it and probably would not do it again on Harmony or Symphony but might consider doing one Oasis or Allure without Ultimate Abyss slide.

We booked a Central Park Balcony on Allure for next month. Did it mostly because it was dirt cheap. Should be fun regardless.

A funny story about our Boardwalk Balcony on Harmony. After we pulled into our first port and I opened the curtains to look outside. I said to my wife "Wow, there is a huge ship parked right next too us. Looks just as big as Harmony". Then I realized where I was...

• Haha 1

Because they want to mess up the A/C for nearby staterooms.:rolleyes:

That's why I asked. I would hate to be a neighbor to someone with their balcony door open all night so they could hear the ocean while I try to sleep in an uncomfortable cabin.:(

Unfortunately it's happened in the past and it wasn't pleasurable.

Bill

On other ships we always have a balcony. We have sailed on Allure four times and three of the four we used Boardwalk Balconies. The other cruise was an ocean view balcony.

I am a people watcher so the Boardwalk balconies were fine for me until this last cruise which was in June. It was sooooooo nois all day and into the evening/night. I expect it to be noisy during the day and in the past if the balcony door were closed and locked, it was hard to hear anything going on outside.

All our Boardwalk balconies have been on deck 10 or 11. They have ranged from two cabins from the aft to the closest to the elevator. Up until this last cruise I would recommend the Boardwalk balconies because they were different from the run of the mill balconies on other ships and that it wasn't noisy at night.

In June the usual daytime activities accompanied the usual noise. The nights though were another story. When Ocean Aria was going on, the noise from the audience was very loud. I didn't attend the show this time as I have been on the other cruises, but it appeared that someone was telling the crowd to yell etc. or if not, the passengers were different from our other cruises.

Additionally, the volume of the movies shown was very loud. Our balcony this time was closest to the elevator on the starboard side. I could sit on my balcony and hear every word of the movie and even with the door closed/locked, I could pretty much do the same.

If I hadn't already had the Boardwalk balcony booked for Harmony, I would not sail in another Boardwalk balcony. My next cruise on Allure is an ocean view. I guess I just like sitting on the balcony at night without a lot of noise. YMMV.

On other ships we always have a balcony. We have sailed on Allure four times and three of the four we used Boardwalk Balconies. The other cruise was an ocean view balcony.

I am a people watcher so the Boardwalk balconies were fine for me until this last cruise which was in June. It was sooooooo nois all day and into the evening/night. I expect it to be noisy during the day and in the past if the balcony door were closed and locked, it was hard to hear anything going on outside.

All our Boardwalk balconies have been on deck 10 or 11. They have ranged from two cabins from the aft to the closest to the elevator. Up until this last cruise I would recommend the Boardwalk balconies because they were different from the run of the mill balconies on other ships and that it wasn't noisy at night.

In June the usual daytime activities accompanied the usual noise. The nights though were another story. When Ocean Aria was going on, the noise from the audience was very loud. I didn't attend the show this time as I have been on the other cruises, but it appeared that someone was telling the crowd to yell etc. or if not, the passengers were different from our other cruises.

Additionally, the volume of the movies shown was very loud. Our balcony this time was closest to the elevator on the starboard side. I could sit on my balcony and hear every word of the movie and even with the door closed/locked, I could pretty much do the same.

If I hadn't already had the Boardwalk balcony booked for Harmony, I would not sail in another Boardwalk balcony. My next cruise on Allure is an ocean view. I guess I just like sitting on the balcony at night without a lot of noise. YMMV.

I wonder if the time of year had anything to do with it? We never sail over the summer - I know there are more families and likely more kids at that time. We’ve never had a noise problem on any of our Oasis class cruises but maybe we were just lucky...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's why I asked. I would hate to be a neighbor to someone with their balcony door open all night so they could hear the ocean while I try to sleep in an uncomfortable cabin.:(

Unfortunately it's happened in the past and it wasn't pleasurable.

Bill

Well sleeping in a small room with doors closed makes for an uncomfortable cabin for us :rolleyes:

I'd rather be in an inside cabin then either of the Central Park or Boardwalk balconies. No matter how many cruises I have been on, I still love the ocean. If I cannot see it from my cabin, I might as well save a bunch of money, and have an inside cabin.

It's funny....There is a lot of negativity but they are popular. My Symphony cruise is still 7 months away and yet there is exactly 1 Boardwalk Balcony room available and 4 Central Park balcony rooms for a family of four (checking from UK site which shows all rooms).

We love the Boardwalk balconies on Oasis class - the farther aft the better. Our absolutely favorite cabin is 10329 (or same on deck 11), which we've been able to get for most of our sailings. It gives us a spectacular wake view...Again, personal preference only - everyone has to decide what's right for them!:D

I suspect you're speaking only of Oasis and Allure, and not Harmony or Symphony?

On Harmony (and thus I assume Symphony) the Abyss slide takes a good portion of the view away.

Here's the view of Labadee from 10329 on Harmony

P1122000_zpsapyjmarx.jpg

Any further back, you're view will be much much less... if anything at all. Here's the view from within Wonderland... no way this far back you would get much view of anything, let alone watching a show through the Abyss slide.

P1080784_zpsblmv4sa1.jpg

There's also been several other threads on this topic where some experienced cruisers who have sailed in Boardwalks on all Oasis ships couldn't understand why the Boardwalk on Harmony was louder than Oasis/Allure... maybe the slide or an unknown different design amplifies more noise into the cabins? 10329 for me on Harmony was very noisy even when the doors were fully closed, until any events in the Aqua Theatre were shut down. I have no problem with noise, and wear earplugs, yet this was bothersome. One night a movie was on until just past midnight and I could hear every word clearly, could only go to sleep after the movie was finished and turned off.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=52010306&highlight=10329#post52010306

I suspect you're speaking only of Oasis and Allure, and not Harmony or Symphony?

On Harmony (and thus I assume Symphony) the Abyss slide takes a good portion of the view away.

P1122000_zpsapyjmarx.jpg

Any further back, you're view will be much much less... if anything at all. Here's the view from within Wonderland... no way this far back you would get much view of anything, let alone watching a show through the Abyss slide.

P1080784_zpsblmv4sa1.jpg

There's also been several other threads on this topic where some experienced cruisers who have sailed in Boardwalks on all Oasis ships couldn't understand why the Boardwalk on Harmony was louder than Oasis/Allure... maybe the slide or an unknown different design amplifies more noise into the cabins? 10329 for me on Harmony was very noisy even when the doors were fully closed, until any events in the Aqua Theatre were shut down. I have no problem with noise, and wear earplugs, yet this was bothersome. One night a movie was on until just past midnight and I could hear every word clearly, could only go to sleep after the movie was finished and turned off.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=52010306&highlight=10329#post52010306

Totally agree about the difference in noise between Oasis / Allure and Harmony. We will find out if Symphony is the same in March or if they addressed the issue. Not surprising though as Harmony and Symphony were built at a different shipyard using different cabins than Oasis and Allure.

For a change we booked a CP balcony on the Symphony in June. Did not like it all. No privacy - we could see into the cabins opposite and I assume they could see into ours. No nets on the balcony meant that we had to always keep the full drapes closed when relaxing in the cabin or staying aware of what others could see. Luckily our settee was nearest the balcony rather than the bed, but cabins opposite had the bed nearest the balcony and we saw some very unintentional unpleasant sights! Also, we were on deck 14 and had to keep the balcony door closed all night as we'd be woken many times by revellers in the hot tubs and on the pool deck above and opposite drinking, talking, shouting and laughing.

I agree, we were on Symphony in June too in a Boardwalk cabin and didn't like it all. Bed near the balcony which made it worse. Very noisy up until about 11.30/12 at night so for any peace you had to have the doors closed and it wasn't too bad then. Much prefer view of the sea rather than looking straight into other people's bedrooms.

The cabins alternate. Find a connecting pair, the cabin on the right (as you look at the cabins from the hall) has the bed by the balcony and the cabin on the left has the bed by the bath. From that point each cabin alternates bed position.

Or just tell us your cabin number and someone will tell you.

We booked 11203 on Oasis. I counted as you said and asked the representative, who didn't know about this, but he says that he was able to see the picture and the bed was not next to the balcony. Thank you very much for this information. :D

We booked 11203 on Oasis. I counted as you said and asked the representative, who didn't know about this, but he says that he was able to see the picture and the bed was not next to the balcony. Thank you very much for this information. :D

You are correct that the bed is by the bath for 11203. As for the rep....he had a 50/50 chance of getting it right and this time he won. The pictures they see are generic and not cabin specific.

Thanks for the reply. Glad to know it's all about your comfort. Don't worry about any of your neighbors.

Bill

No offense really.. but couldn't the same thing be said for you? She stated a closed room with AC is uncomfortable for them, and you are not worried about that, as long as they keep their balcony door closed so that you are comfortable in your room.

I wouldn't like it any more than you, as I need it cold to sleep... and I love AC.

P1122000_zpsapyjmarx.jpg

This is something I would not be happy with. Maybe this is better for someone that likes fresh air and the balcony portion is not all that important.

You're right - we've only done Allure and Oasis. I am not happy with the slide on the Harmony/Symphony blocking my view, so it's likely when we eventually sail them, we'll go for a OV.

No offense really.. but couldn't the same thing be said for you? She stated a closed room with AC is uncomfortable for them, and you are not worried about that, as long as they keep their balcony door closed so that you are comfortable in your room.

I was just about to post a similar reply! We are actually very considerate neighbours. We're conscious of how much noise we make and never sit out late on a balcony chatting in case we disturb people, and we never chairhog, but we've paid good money for a nice holiday and it's our choice on how we make use of the facilities in our cabin.