Antigua Beaches - Tour or On Your Own?

SeaWatcher65

Considering a private tour to take us to several beaches. But we are considering doing it on our own. The tour includes beverages and always nice to get information from a local. Anyone enjoy touring several beaches or just as much fun to pick one beach and just taxi there? Best beaches? Thanks.

I wouldn't choose a tour of several beaches but stick to one. From what I've seen with people on beach tours, they don't get a proper lounger so it's just a towel on the sand.

There are lots of great beaches in Antigua and everyone has their favourites. I like Valley Church because it has a decent beach bar, it's not too big and there's lots of places to sit. Also there's not a lot of vendors

Coming to Antigua and stopping at one beach is similar to overnighting, you haven't experienced the place. My suggestion, stick with the tour, as long as you are confident about the tour you`ve selected, go for it. You strike me as someone who does research well by your presence here, therefore im positive its a great selection.

Benefits to your tour:

You will get multiple stunning scenery to enhance your photos.

You will get a mouthful of the island culture

You will get to interact with different people in different places

Most of all you would have just made the best of your day. You have made a good plan seawatcher65, trade as planned.

Thanks for all the advice! I just found out someone I work with has been to Antigua and knows locals there. Will get all the insider tips from a local and share here soon! And I learned it's pronounced "An-teeg-a" not "An-teeg-wa".

I guess $200 for the day for private tour is not bad. Seemed expensive at first but is reputable company been doing this in Antigua since 1980s and includes drinks (beer, punch, water, soda, etc.). Lawrence of Antigua. I'd have to pay something for a taxi. On the other hand, that money would buy a nice lunch at one of the beach bars and plenty left over for souvenirs.

We were in Roatan Honduras and went to a beach with our own driver through a reputable company. It was an additional expense but nice to have someone watch our stuff, push the beach sellers away from us, and give us some local history and point out things during our drive. Another time in St. Maarten, the taxi driver we hired for the day drove wildly and kept staring at the women walking by instead of keeping his eyes on the road. Scared me a few times!

And here are the beach recommendations from a resident of Antigua -- for relaxing on the beach and having lunch.

#1 - Dickerson Bay - resort area with restaurants, try Ana's on the Beach or Coconut Gove. 10 minutes from port.

#2 - Turners (Crab Hill) Beach - 11 miles from St. Johns, try OJ's Restaurant or Turners Restaurant. 29 minutes from port

#3 - Long Bay Beach. 36 minutes from port

#4 - Galley Bay. 19 minutes from port

#5 - Jolly Beach - plenty of restaurants and shopping, a little touristy. 26 minutes from port

Tips:

• If want to snorkel, need to go on a boat tour.
  • There are no private beaches. All beaches are open to the public.
  • Don't attempt to take any "local buses", don't even know what that is. Somewhere I read a suggestion to take the local bus #22 to Darkwood Beach.
  • For tours, recommend Tropical Adventures

• Like 1

And here are the beach recommendations from a resident of Antigua -- for relaxing on the beach and having lunch.

#1 - Dickerson Bay - resort area with restaurants, try Ana's on the Beach or Coconut Gove. 10 minutes from port.

#2 - Turners (Crab Hill) Beach - 11 miles from St. Johns, try OJ's Restaurant or Turners Restaurant. 29 minutes from port

#3 - Long Bay Beach. 36 minutes from port

#4 - Galley Bay. 19 minutes from port

#5 - Jolly Beach - plenty of restaurants and shopping, a little touristy. 26 minutes from port

Tips:

• If want to snorkel, need to go on a boat tour.
  • There are no private beaches. All beaches are open to the public.
  • Don't attempt to take any "local buses", don't even know what that is. Somewhere I read a suggestion to take the local bus #22 to Darkwood Beach.
  • For tours, recommend Tropical Adventures

Funnily enough a local recommended Valley Church beach to is and we've been there several times since. You pick them up at the bus terminal by the fruit and vegetable market. Also we took the local bus a couple of times and loved it but it just takes too long so we don't do it now

My husband and I really enjoyed Valley Church Beach while in Antigua. Van drivers at the dock were rounding up groups of 8 passengers (which took no time at all) so our cost per person was only 8 dollars. By two o'clock we were ready to head back and found a lot of drivers hanging around a couple of shady picnic tables at our beach. It was no problem to tag along with another group (same cost) to return to the ship.

Funnily enough a local recommended Valley Church beach to is and we've been there several times since. You pick them up at the bus terminal by the fruit and vegetable market. Also we took the local bus a couple of times and loved it but it just takes too long so we don't do it now

Sorry my post doesn't make sense so this is what it should have said

Funnily enough a local recommended Valley Church beach to us and we've been there several times since. Everybody has their favourites. Also we took the local bus a couple of times and loved it but it just takes too long so we don't do it now. You pick buses up at the bus terminal by the fruit and vegetable market.