Food allergies

Jota62

About 2 years ago I unfortunately learned that I'm allergic to shellfish. I have an epi pen and take pre auctions eating out. When I purchased the cruise I noted my allergy. Do I need to contact the maitre'd separately about this? The buffet at princess cay ok or usually contaminated?

I'm curious how others with food allergies have managed. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When you do your on line check in, post it there. You can call before your sailing to verify it's attached to your booking. I've never had an issue.

Ok, thanks so much!

I'm allergic to all seafood including sea-plants, as well as soy and strawberries. In the MDR and at the specialty restaurants I always let my servers know. On some ships I've had to order my meal the night before to avoid cross contamination, but on others there was no problem ordering when we were at the table.

For the buffet I'm exceptionally careful, especially when at the deli or pizza counter. Whenever possible I will avoid anything placed next to the chaffing dishes with seafood or even ask the buffet manager to put together a plate from items in the galley that they know have not been cross contaminated.

my son is highly allergic to fish (not shellfish), nuts, tree nuts, and sesame.

we told the matre d at the first night. so when we were finished each dinner we would get the menu for the dinner a night ahead so son could order his meal.

we carried benedryl and epi pens at all times (he is 16 years old). we had no issues.

if you have any other questions- let me know.

A family member is allergic to seafood and nuts I put it in their booking and called to let them know specifics because there was no place to explain. After the first dinner they came to her every night and asked her to order for the next day.

I have the same allergy to shellfish as you and I’ve never had a problem on cruises. I don’t even alert anyone in advance; I just make sure I watch what I eat.

That could be a very dangerous way to handle your allergy. What about cross-contamination? Watching what you eat cannot inform you whether or not your food has been allowed to come into contact with shellfish. Also, what if a sauce on a seemingly shellfish-free item had shrimp broth or clam juice as an ingredient but it wasn't listed in the menu description? Surely your allergist has advised you to alert restaurant staff of your allergy. It just seems too risky to leave to chance.

I have the same allergy to shellfish as you and I’ve never had a problem on cruises. I don’t even alert anyone in advance; I just make sure I watch what I eat.

That is what my friend (allergic to all shellfish) did on her Carnival cruise with the family.

She just watched what she ate and had no problems.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

About 2 years ago I unfortunately learned that I'm allergic to shellfish. I have an epi pen and take pre auctions eating out. When I purchased the cruise I noted my allergy. Do I need to contact the maitre'd separately about this? The buffet at princess cay ok or usually contaminated?

I'm curious how others with food allergies have managed. Thanks!

There shouldn't be any shellfish on the buffet at Princess Cay to cross-contaminate your food.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Forums mobile app

I also don't notify anyone and order appropriately. My allergens would be major ingredients thus easily identified. I did notified for the Chef's Table and they discreetly brought me a different item.

How can you be sure? I'm surprised that people are willing to take such chances. Allergens can be "hidden" in sauces and seasonings, not apparent. Since my diagnosis, I take no chances.

My son has nut allergies and we put it in the booking. The first night in the main dining room on the Pride they came over with the entire week'd menu and gave us a chance to customize his meal plan. We declined but they were so all over it. Great experience for us.

I've been allergic to Vinegar since i was a small child. For the most part I know what vinegar is in, and just avoid it. I also tell the server. I have recently become allergic to seafood, and it's airborne. Where would I put this in my booking, or do I just need to talk to someone when i get on the ship?

How can you be sure? I'm surprised that people are willing to take such chances. Allergens can be "hidden" in sauces and seasonings, not apparent. Since my diagnosis, I take no chances.

Because my food allergens are bleu cheese and mussels. Pretty easy to avoid.

Because my food allergens are bleu cheese and mussels. Pretty easy to avoid.

I agree, pretty easy to avoid except for cross-contamination. If the cruise line has not been informed about the allergy, the staff will not be careful about keeping the food that you do order segregated from mussels and bleu cheese.

I agree, pretty easy to avoid except for cross-contamination. If the cruise line has not been informed about the allergy, the staff will not be careful about keeping the food that you do order segregated from mussels and bleu cheese.

Pretty sure the chilled soups and ribs are safe..

If anyone truly believes cross contamination doesn't happen, they are fooling themselves.