Renting a car in Livorno - visiting Pisa and San Gimignano?

sushraya

We will be in Livorno off the Norwegian Epic in Sept. 3 couples. We'd like to rent a car and drive to Pisa and then the tuscan countryside. Perhaps stop at a winery for lunch and wine tasting of course. Maybe visit San Gimignano.

Any recommendations for a winery to try and visit? Where can we park and what should we do in San Gimignano? H wants to visit Pisa - and knowing him, he'll want to climb the tower. Should we plan on doing that first thing in the morning or on the way back to the ship?

I've read about the driving zones in italian cities and the horrific fines. But if we stay with the countryside mainly, will this be an issue? Any dos/don'ts ?

We will be in Livorno off the Norwegian Epic in Sept. 3 couples. We'd like to rent a car and drive to Pisa and then the tuscan countryside. Perhaps stop at a winery for lunch and wine tasting of course. Maybe visit San Gimignano.

Any recommendations for a winery to try and visit? Where can we park and what should we do in San Gimignano? H wants to visit Pisa - and knowing him, he'll want to climb the tower. Should we plan on doing that first thing in the morning or on the way back to the ship?

I've read about the driving zones in italian cities and the horrific fines. But if we stay with the countryside mainly, will this be an issue? Any dos/don'ts ?

The issue when driving in parts of some cities (including Pisa) are ZTLs or limited traffic zones. If you penetrate a ZTL a camera will capture your license plate and you will later be fined (through your rental car company) around 100€. This is not a problem outside of major cities or if you stay outside the zones in cities like Pisa and Florence.

As to parking at San Gimignano, there is a parking lot right by the main entrance..but its often full. But you simply drive along the road along the city there are several parking areas (well marked).

As to the Leaning Tower it is best to purchase tickets (online) far in advance. But you then have to deal with the specific entry times. If you go without a ticket in the main tourist season you will most likely not be able to get inside without a long wait if at all.. Many of the roads near the Field of Miracles are in a ZTL! If you stick to the main road and park in a paid lot you should be OK. But start to explore the local residential areas for a free parking spot and you will likely penetrate the ZTL. Here is an old link to some info on the Pisa ZTL...but you should look for something more up to date.

http://www.athomeintuscany.org/2011/10/15/pisa-ztl-limited-traffic-zone/

Regarding rental cars we specifically recommend Sifracar.com who is the local Hertz franchise. They have a cruise ship special which includes delivery and pick-up at the pier.

Hank

Thanks Hank for the info! I contacted sifracar for a car - they do have the cruise ship special. But they are no longer a Hertz franchise!

You nailed the problem with driving to Pisa - H will look for a "free" parking spot. Will have to show him your email. How will we know we've entered a ZTL? If we rent a GPS along with the car, does the GPS warn you?

I'll look at tickets for the leaning tower first thing in the morning - and then figure we'll make our way to San Gimignano.

Thanks Hank for the info! I contacted sifracar for a car - they do have the cruise ship special. But they are no longer a Hertz franchise!

You nailed the problem with driving to Pisa - H will look for a "free" parking spot. Will have to show him your email. How will we know we've entered a ZTL? If we rent a GPS along with the car, does the GPS warn you?

I'll look at tickets for the leaning tower first thing in the morning - and then figure we'll make our way to San Gimignano.

Thanks for the heads up about Hertz. What is interesting is that Hertz, Europcar and Sifracar all show having an office in the Maritime terminal (we used to call this the shopping center) adjacent to the port entrance a few hundred yards from the main ferry piers. The hassle with renting cars at Livorno is that passengers are prohibited from walking out of the port from the cruise ship piers. So this meant you needed transportation about 1 mile to the building that housed the rental car agencies. Sifracar has always been able to set up a temporary kiosk right at the cruise ship pier and handle their rentals next to the ship (they even bring over the cars). Hertz and Europcar did not always provide this type service. So if renting from Hertz, Europcar or anyone else its wise to directly contact them and make sure they will get you to and from the ship...or will allow you to pick-up and drop next to the ship (this is what Sifracar has always done).

As to knowing about ZTLs, in theory you are supposed to see a warning sign on any street that would take you into a ZTL. But the signs are rather small and easy to miss unless you are really looking. When I know I will be in an area with a ZTL I always try to find the most recent online map, print it out, and study the various routes around the area. The last time I looked at Pisa, it was possible to drive to and from the Field of Miracles (Leaning Tower) as long as you stayed on the main streets. It seemed like that designed the ZTL to keep cars out of the adjacent residential areas (where I used to find free on the street parking). But I have not looked at their ZTL map for more than 5 years so you cannot rely on what I just said :).

Getting back to the ZTL signs, there does not seem to be any standard for these things....as we are talking about Italy :). So to confuse you even more here is a link to ZTL sign pictures:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Italy+ZTL+warning+sign&client=opera&hs=8Vz&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjm6-7tyMzcAhUMr1kKHWFlCJ0Q7Al6BAgEEBE&biw=1326&bih=658

This just all adds to the fun of driving in Italy. But perhaps we should better clarify what happens if you do happen to drive into a ZTL. Most likely a camera will record the violation (assuming the camera works). A few weeks/months later the rental car company will get fined about 100€ for the violation. The rental car company will normally just charge (to your credit card you used to rent the car) the fine...but then they will add their own admin fee which is often around another 30€. But if there is any delay in this process the price can increase (call it interest). In Italy these fines are not a big deal, but are sure a pain in the wallet.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hank - thanks so much for your help. Got a good laugh looking at the various ZTL sign pictures!

Sifracar told me that they will take us by minibus from the ship to the parking lot where we can pick up the car (1 km away). We did contact Hertz and unfortunately, you just get the international desk - so very generic info on renting the car, no specifics about where the pickup location etc. We'd probably just go with sifracar.

Tenuta Torciano is the only winery I've heard recommendations for. Will look into booking their lunch/tasting. Any specific recommendations in San Gimignano?

Also, how's traffic in general in this area? When should we plan on heading out from San Gimignano to make it back to the ship without stressing out?

Have you experience of driving a shift stick, non automatic car? This needs to be thought about ,as European hire cars are usually not automatic transmission. Also a winery visit the driver presumably will not imbibe , as DD rules in Italy are strict. Driving in Italy is not relaxing and parking in cities in summer can be a nightmare and expensive.

Another quick question - looked at the tower of pisa site - do we need tickets ONLY if we are climbing to the top of the tower?

Not sure if you are asking whether tickets are only needed if you intend to go all the way to the top, or whether tickets are needed to do any of the climb. The answer is that you DO need tickets to even enter the bell tower and they are very strict about timing.

If you don't want to climb the tower, you'll also need to buy tickets to enter any of the other sites on the "field of miracles" (the Duomo, the Baptistery, etc.) If you buy a ticket to climb the tower, I think it entitles you to also visit the Duomo as well.

Another quick question - looked at the tower of pisa site - do we need tickets ONLY if we are climbing to the top of the tower?

Cruisemom speaks the truth :). The Tower is one of several structures in an expansive park like setting called the Field of Miracles. There is no charge to enter the park area and you can enjoy strolling around and certainly gazing at the famous Tower which really does lean :). But you cannot go inside without a ticket which really should be purchased in advance. And even with a times ticket you are likely to find yourself standing in a queue...for a few minutes or more. Other then saying you climbed the Leaning Tower we really don't see the big deal. And by the way, the Leaning Tower is not the only leaning tower in Italy :). There are actually a few others scattered around the country (we have seen at least 5).

GrJBerlshire did post some very good info. I should have warned you that most Italian rental cars (especially the lower cost ones) are stick shift. If you must have an automatic make sure to specify it when you reserve and perhaps follow-up with a later direct e-mail. I love driving a stick (as does my DW) but it is becoming a lost art for many fellow North Americans. And one very important tip about stick shifts. Make sure you know how to find reverse before you go driving off :). If you are not used to European sticks you might be in for a surprise when you can't find reverse so best to work this out before you start your drive.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner
an

H almost always drives a stick shift car. So, no problems there. I know that's been a rude shock to several of our friends who've wanted to drive in Europe though.

Some of our friends are not inclined to climb the tower. Of course, H wants to do it and I might go along. Was wondering if I should get tickets for all of us if only the two of us were climbing the tower. I am guessing the others will just wander around in the area, take pictures and relax. Can't see them going into any of the other buildings either.

Thanks all for your help.

• 9 months later...

Any who has spoken to Sifracar via email notice if the email address was an @gmail.com account?

I reached out to them via their website and then got a response via Sifracar@gmail.com.....They have been very responsive and seem legitiment, but the email address threw me off.

Has anyone else seem this?

image.png.6c671892c9861d0ee54755904207ca37.png

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 7:13 PM, BostonMechE said:

Any who has spoken to Sifracar via email notice if the email address was an @gmail.com account?

I reached out to them via their website and then got a response via Sifracar@gmail.com.....They have been very responsive and seem legitiment, but the email address threw me off.

Has anyone else seem this?

image.png.6c671892c9861d0ee54755904207ca37.png

We have rented from Sifracar for several decades and often posted a recommendation here on CC.  Up until recently the agency was the local Hertz Franchisee but it appears that it is now independent.  In the past they have always been able to deliver a car right to the pier and do our paperwork as soon as we cleared the gangplank.   There prices were a little higher then some of the local competition but being able to pick up and drop on the pier was worth every extra Euro.

Just a heads up.  Most rental cars in Italy are standard shift (stick shift).  If you cannot handle a stick you need to make it very clear that you must have an automatic....which will cost you a premium.

Hank