Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

Back to roast dinners - I don't understand why Yorkies seem to be put on every plate nowadays regardless of what meat is being served, particularly in pubs on Sundays. In my youth you had them only with beef, plus mustard or horseradish; lamb had mint sauce or redcurrant jelly; pork apple sauce and stuffing, and chic ken and turkey lots of things, stuffings, cranberry sauce, sausage and/or bacon rolls, especially at Christmas.  Well, I think I do understand why they do it at pubs, something cheap to help fill the plate.

Totally agree! 
The old tradition in Yorkshire was to serve the Yorkies lashed with gravy before the dinner.

My mother would make hers in a big flat tray…like a real spongy pudding…..my DD has them with every roast dinner except beef as it’s the only meat she doesn’t eat.

S 😊

Edited by MissSophia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

I still think no Yorkies except with beef - the crispy bit is lots of roasties, and for mopping up some creamy mashed potato. Just my humble opinion. Plus of course on any plate a couple of veggies - obviously peas needs  to be one of them for certain people.

Talking of peas: Went to cookery class last Thursday and among other things (Tomato-Nectarine salad with herb coated cream cheese, scallops with salade provençale, French toast with strawberries and lavender icecream) we cooked lamb chops with a sauce vièrge mixed with peas as the main course (I categorically refuse to call it "entrée"). It was polished off the plates in record time even by people who do not usually like peas, so you might be interested in this recipe (measured for 4 people):

250 gramms of peas, blanched for 5 minutes in salted water

4 tablespoons olive oil

1 shallot

1 big tomato, pips removed

1/2 lime

1 tablespoon white balsamico

1 handfull of flat parsley, finely chopped (leaves only)

salt and pepper to taste

Chop the shallot very finely, dice the tomato in smal cubes.

in a pan, heat the olive oil and fry the shallot until soft. Get the pan off the hob, mix in the tomato, juice of the lime, the white balsamic vinegar and

the parsley. Add salt and pepper and if necessary a tiny bit of sugar to taste.

Mix in the peas and reheat if needed once meat is ready. 
Serve with the lamb and a herb crust provençale. Bon appetit!

IMG_8050.jpeg

IMG_8051.jpeg

IMG_8055.jpeg

IMG_8057.jpeg

IMG_8061.jpeg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

Back to roast dinners - I don't understand why Yorkies seem to be put on every plate nowadays regardless of what meat is being served, particularly in pubs on Sundays. In my youth you had them only with beef, plus mustard or horseradish; lamb had mint sauce or redcurrant jelly; pork apple sauce and stuffing, and chic ken and turkey lots of things, stuffings, cranberry sauce, sausage and/or bacon rolls, especially at Christmas.  Well, I think I do understand why they do it at pubs, something cheap to help fill the plate.

I Agree wholeheartedly Lola re the wilful misappropriation of the Yorkshire pudding. A Truly heinous act but I must admit Jeffs did look really good with that pork. 🙂 Does anybody else enjoy them with a soggy bottom (that slightly undercooked batter at the bottom) or is just me? 

6 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

That’s what they all say.  🙂

It wasn't me🤣

Been going to Chuchiart (Kitchen Art) for 25 years, with a two years break after my husband's death. Now back since a year just enjoying the company and doing something I still love, although I no longer spend hours in the kitchen on weekends, don't see the point. Which doesn't keep me from adding even now to my very extensive collection of cookery books. Probably I am a bit obsessed. Okay, stark raving mad actually😊

IMG_8072.jpeg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

I Agree wholeheartedly Lola re the wilful misappropriation of the Yorkshire pudding. A Truly heinous act but I must admit Jeffs did look really good with that pork. 🙂 Does anybody else enjoy them with a soggy bottom (that slightly undercooked batter at the bottom) or is just me? 

Just you. 

Substitute pancakes for Yorkies and the world is your oyster.

Jeff

38 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

It wasn't me🤣

Been going to Chuchiart (Kitchen Art) for 25 years, with a two years break after my husband's death. Now back since a year just enjoying the company and doing something I still love, although I no longer spend hours in the kitchen on weekends, don't see the point. Which doesn't keep me from adding even now to my very extensive collection of cookery books. Probably I am a bit obsessed. Okay, stark raving mad actually😊

IMG_8072.jpeg

Have I understood that last properly? You have a new pain in your feet?  🙂

Collecting books is an obsessive indulgence. Kindle and web pges aren’t a substitute.  Obviously dozens of bread books but lately I’d become obsessed about genuine regional Chinese food that I’ve unlikely to hav experienced. I have no intention of being expert in any way, just to understand it better and identify a limited very few  dishes I know we’d like and just repeat and get those to my taste.  Fuchsia Dunlop is a fluent dialect speaking foody who worked and explored China and was an obsessive. It is odd that an English woman could write such definitive books.   I’ve bough all her books in one go and 

love browsing.

Jeff

Now I can admit to being straightlaced about something - ketchup/catsup on fries or indeed anything else.  I simply cannot abide it - OK in a recipe, but not otherwise - and the other abomination is baked beans on a plate of breakfast.  I am fairly sure this is just being a bit  'snobby' as I was once described.  Oh, and mushy peas.  So I am not quite the wild woman I thought I was.  But I do love Sweet Caroline, just like almost everyone else.  So a mixture of snobby and common, I guess.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Have I understood that last properly? You have a new pain in your feet?  🙂

Collecting books is an obsessive indulgence. Kindle and web pges aren’t a substitute.  Obviously dozens of bread books but lately I’d become obsessed about genuine regional Chinese food that I’ve unlikely to hav experienced. I have no intention of being expert in any way, just to understand it better and identify a limited very few  dishes I know we’d like and just repeat and get those to my taste.  Fuchsia Dunlop is a fluent dialect speaking foody who worked and explored China and was an obsessive. It is odd that an English woman could write such definitive books.   I’ve bough all her books in one go and 

love browsing.

Jeff

Harrr... Try saying "Chuchichäschtli🤣

Fuchsia Dunlop, did look it up and now will need to check out those books. Thank you.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

Harrr... Try saying "Chuchichäschtli🤣

Fuchsia Dunlop, did look it up and now will need to check out those books. Thank you.

There are one or two Youtubes but they don’t do her justice.  Some of her visiting markets and chatting are ok.  The books are all sublime except “Invitation to a Banquet” which is more of an academic book than with recipes. 

Jeff

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, mysty said:

Greetings Coolers!

Myster and I returned to the Black Tartan Kitchen last week for a Beer and Whisky tasting menu.  It was superb!  For those interested,  enjoy!

received_454639023976403.thumb.jpeg.d470e2b6722b0b461aeec10fb2f37d8d.jpeg

received_1138204264107065.thumb.jpeg.b57aa04390884d33e7b51c5d58f5cc9f.jpeg

received_1159242315279055.thumb.jpeg.e0ea3347d381389e551d966817dcfeb2.jpeg

received_994493372146811.thumb.jpeg.040e9e462a542ecb98c57db7499de5d8.jpeg

received_828637928835208.thumb.jpeg.c6865dfe537e2ce399df4b2b9e77ad41.jpeg

looks as incredible as ever M. You're so lucky to have that place. 

• Like 3

I Think that Aunties (The BBC) line, "for those of you that have never heard of the international global superstar Sza" sums up the fact that the Glastonbury finale this year is given over to someone that many of us have never even heard of before this weekend but is some sort of campaigner singing songs that we have never heard before.  I'd imagine you'd have to travel quite far into the Amazon to have to offer such explanations about Elton John, Paul McCartney and some of the other closing acts. Spoiler alert, there's nothing to hum along to. I'm done, I'm going to find something on Netflix to watch. 

• Like 2

It has been disappointing overall. 

The performance I most enjoyed was The Streets.  Not predictably but the lead singer Mike Skinner really played and engaged the audience well. And the band was great..  I thought Coldplay last night unmusical and disappointing and Chris Martin simply never found the right notes. Arriving 15 minutes late ws a bit unprofessional.

Today was mostly sub-par.  Paloma Faith as usual did her pub singer style and told us how bad the world, men and almost everything else is. Seasick Steve  …. why pretend that because a bloke is old and plays a homemade box that he is somehow a guru. It’s idiotic. Shania Twain was just not good.

The star of today was Jordan Rakei which was great Funk. 

I’m pleased we watched a lot of it.  Perhaps it’s even worth the licence fee, but it will be interesting to see what happens next year because this event wasn’t as engaging as it should be.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

It has been disappointing overall. 

The performance I most enjoyed was The Streets.  Not predictably but the lead singer Mike Skinner really played and engaged the audience well. And the band was great..  I thought Coldplay last night unmusical and disappointing and Chris Martin simply never found the right notes. Arriving 15 minutes late ws a bit unprofessional.

Today was mostly sub-par.  Paloma Faith as usual did her pub singer style and told us how bad the world, men and almost everything else is. Seasick Steve  …. why pretend that because a bloke is old and plays a homemade box that he is somehow a guru. It’s idiotic. Shania Twain was just not good.

The star of today was Jordan Rakei which was great Funk. 

It will be interesting to see what happens next year because this event wasn’t as engaging as it should be.

Jeff

It’s been appalling. I Think that the 210,000 people paying £360+ deserve better. And no wonder the food prices are ridiculous when they charge £20k rent for a food cart for the weekend. The least they could do is close the show with someone we know. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

It’s been appalling. I Think that the 210,000 people paying £360+ deserve better. And no wonder the food prices are ridiculous when they charge £20k rent for a food cart for the weekend. The least they could do is close the show with someone we know. 

The issue was that many names were approached, more than just the couple mentioned in some articles.  The problem is that too little was being offered on the basis that Eavis still thinks “it’s an honour” to perform.  So you end up largely with acts from overseas who are prepared with the financial help of their record companies to try and “break” into the UK Market but they are mostly of little interest to Brits.  

The revenue from ticket and contracts was probably well upwards of £100m for the event. Big names no longer need it as they have their names already and many now have their own highly lucrative arena tours.

I wonder whether there will be even less names next year.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

The issue was that many names were approached, more than just the couple mentioned in some articles.  The problem is that too little was being offered on the basis that Eavis still thinks “it’s an honour” to perform.  So you end up largely with acts from overseas who are prepared with the financial help of their record companies to try and “break” into the UK Market but they are mostly of little interest to Brits.  

The revenue from ticket and contracts was probably well upwards of £100m for the event. Big names no longer need it as they have their names already and many now have their own highly lucrative arena tours.

I wonder whether there will be even less names next year.

Unless Eavis has a bulb go on, you get what you pay for. I Wouldn’t be surprised if they’d been paid to have that wful closing out. Very short sighted. How much more money could a farmer want? 

In last night’s Coldplay set they honoured Eavis with a live feed of him sitting looking extremely glum unblinking and glaring.  The problem is that all of the acts have honoured him for too long and he now believes his own story.  

It’s all very well his daughter moaning about how much it all costs to mount it, but I cannot recall ever seeing a clear set of public account as to where all the cash collected and donated to charities is fleshed out.  

If you glance at Iplayer they have a short part of  one track of The Streets.  It was good.   Alogte Olo was uplifting and I hope their performance gives them a bit of friction back home.  The Mary Wallopers thought that they but weren’t the Pogues!  

Oh well!

Jeff