Has anyone Been on a Vantage River Cruise?

cruisingmimi

Hi everyone,

I am still researching our river cruise for November. We have pretty much decided on November because we would like to see some of the Christmas Markets. The weather will not be an issue with us because we live in New England.

Vantage has a nice 16 day tour of Castles Along the Rhine and Danube and this is the itinerary we would like. The price is certainly good and airfare is included. Has anyone been on one of their tours? If so, any pros and cons to share? Were you satisfied w/ their services?

Cabin selection - does it matter? We would probably go for the "bottom of the barrel" and choose the cheapest cabin. Is this an issue w/ the view out the cabin window. I have read where you can barely see because the water is at shoulder level. Also, does it matter where the cabin is located on the deck? Forward, middle or aft? I know it is only a river cruise vs an ocean cruise and we are not fussy. There will be another couple traveling with us.

I would like to at least put a deposit down but wanted to get some feedback from others who may have traveled using Vantage. Can you negotiate prices on river cruises or are they "set in stone".

Is there anything else I should know? Thanks for your help.

Mary

With Vantage, the kissin' cousin of Grand Circle, they are a direct seller and their rates are "fixed in stone" until they decide to offer the same trip for a lower price because it isn't selling well. If that occurs before your final payment is due you might be able to get them to give you the same price but if it is after the final payment not much chance.

I have never been on Vantage but all of those on this Board who have been say nothing but good things about them.

As to cabin location, I would recommend mid-ships to forward. Their is no motion problem on the rivers but there is engine noise in most river ships in the rear third. Which deck to chose is like buying a car. Some people like the top deck because in some cases they have a little balcony or at least the windows open and others prefer to pay less and not worry about the view as they are not in their cabins that much. No right or wrong there - just personal taste.

We have taken the same itinerary that you are considering and enjoyed it immensly. It is hard to go wrong on a river cruise in Europe! You will have a wonderful time so take the plunge as many departures do sell out well in advance.

Clarence:)

Mary,

I don´t know when in November you plan to go but don´t expect any Christmas market prior to Dec 1, 2006. Christmas markets usually don´t start prior to the first of Advent which is Dec 3 (as Christmas Eve is on a Sunday and will be the forth Advent Sunday then).

steamboats

I would vote for a room that at least can open a window. We were very happy that we had a balcony room on GC since our room was always so warm. We turned off the heat and it never went back on, but we still have the balcony door cracked open a lot.

Also agree with the advice about the Christmas Markets. We left Dec 2 on our cruise, but the group just before us said there were hardly any markets open yet.

Hi Mary,

No, it all depends on the Advent season. Usually markets start at the weekend of the first Sunday in Advent (when we light the first candle on our Advent wreath). As Christmas Eve is a Sunday it is the fourth (and last) Sunday in Advent. The first Sunday is Dec 3 so the markets start earliest on Friday night (Dec 1). So we have a short season this year for Christmas markets, three weeks only.

steamboats

Hi Mary - Wife and I did the Vantage Holland to Hungary river cruise this past August and loved it. Now they call it Castles on the Rhine or something like that. We took the cabin on the lowest level and found they are the same size as those on the middle deck. No problem looking out both windows. Windows don't mean that much as you will be on deck most of the time. The service was great. Food very good and the tour directors were excellent. I would advise starting in Amsterdam first as that give you the most time (afternoon and evening) in Rudesheim, Germany. That is one great swinging wine village. When you go from Hungary north your stop there is in the morning. Bad timing. You have to compare that cruise and all you get included with other companies. I think that Grand Circle charges extra for some of the same tours that Vantage gives you. Check out both schedules and compare what you get included. I would not hesitate going with Vantage again...matter of fact we plan to do China with Vantage in 2007.

Bon voyage ----- Willard

Mary - Forgot something about Vantage on my last post. If you check out the latest Vantage catalog you will fine a picture of us in Passau having lunch. Look for the cruise you will be taken and there we are. We had pizza and beer for lunch on our 44th wedding anniversary. Willard

Hi Willard,

Thanks so much for the info - very helpful! I have a brochure but it is only one that has the Holland to Hungary Castles itinerary. Guess I must have checked that off and that's what they sent me. I like the itinerary a lot. I will look for your picture when I get a full brochure.

I wondered if the scenery would be different traveling in the winter months vs your cruise in August. You said that you weren't in your cabin much but up on deck most of the time. Would this be true cruising in Nov/Dec? Do they enclose the deck areas? Otherwise, I would expect it would be chilly on deck. We like to be out and about and not confined.

I note that in the booklet it says that there are no medical facilities onboard the Vantage ships, and that in case of emergencies there are only onshore facilities available. I am not sure I would feel comfortable not having a dr. onboard. Were there any medical personnel onboard your ship when you cruised?

Mary

Hi Mary,

I´m sure you will love Ruedesheim, it´s a great, but very touristy town!

Regarding the Deck Space: no riverboat on the European rivers does have any enclosed Deck Space on the upper deck as long as it also plies the Main and Danube rivers. That´s because of the bridge clearance. Some boats have to flatten the deck chairs, put down the rails and lower the pilot house to get under the bridges. Some boats have an open air space on the deck below the upper (mostly called sun) deck. They might enclose this part with removable plastic parts. But anyway November or December aren´t the months you´d like to spend much time on an open deck. I assume the best places to watch the scenery during winter time are the lounges which usually have hughe windows.

steamboats

Hi again,

Didn´t see your question regarding medical help. I think there´s no need to feel uncomfortable without having a doctor aboard. Although I haven´t been on a European riverboat yet (only US ones, not bad for a German :D ) I don´t really think that this is a problem. Usually at least one of the crew members is trained for medical emergencies. A riverboat is never far away from shore (like a blue water ship is). They easily can call a doctor or an ambulance car and pick him up or let the passenger leave the boat. You´re travelling through a region where you´ll find a lot of communities along the shore. There aren´t any longer stretches where you won´t find a road or a community close to shore. Germany (and Netherlands and Austria) have an excellent medical system (doctors and hospitals). I can speak for Germany only but usually an ambulance will reach every place within 15 to 20 min.

I´ve experienced several medical emergencies on my last Mississippi river cruise (and there you won´t find a soul for miles along the river). All were handled very fast, once the boat landed where an ambulance car waited, once a boat came alongside and picked up the passenger (each time a crew member accompanied the passenger ashore). The Mississippi riverboats (steamboats) do not have a doctor aboard but trained crew members.

I´ve also heard that if there´s a doctor aboard a European riverboat he´s usually no regular crew member but more a passenger riding for free (or with a hughe discount) just because of his profession to help in case. So it can be a pediatrist, a surgeon or any other kind of doctor with experiences in emergency medicine which he learned during his university studies but never has practiced again for the last 20 years.

If you have any medical problems which might occur throughout the cruise it´ll be a good idea to let the crew know about them in advance (f.e. diabetes) so they might be prepared just in case.

So don´t worry about that!

steamboats

Hi! DH and I just returned last week from the Vanage Explorer's "Christmas/New Year's" cruise - book it now! Do not pass go, do not collect $200, just do it! This was our 16th cruise but first riverboat cruise and first Vantage trip. It was just magical! Flew into Munich and were bussed to Nuremburg to board the ship. Rooms were ready by the time we arrived (before noon), lunch was waiting and what a fabulous trip! I just cannot say enough about how wonderful it all was. DH's take is "this is about as close to being on a private yacht as most folks can get". We had the cheapest available cabin (207) on the lowest deck and it was just fine. Had twin bunks and would rather sleep together but the price was right for this trip. Food was great and it was nice to sit wherever you wanted, with whomever you wanted, at all meals. Several times wine was "on the captain" at no charge which was nice. Breakfast and lunch are buffets and there is a HUGE variety to choose from - there will always be something you like. Dinners were menu variety - we chose the vegetarian several times (we are not vegetarians) because we didn't care for the offerings (pheasant, lamb, and way too much fish) but there was always something you could eat. Since this was winter, many times when we came back to the ship there was soup and pretzels, hot cider and kuchen, etc waiting for us - what a nice way to warm up! The tours were great - we did hit a couple of days where everything was closed because of the holidays ( and DH couldn't shop) but that was ok by me. Tour directors - the absolute BEST we have ever had! You are divided into groups by color - we lucked out with the blue group and had Bogdan Curea as our tour director - Bogdan is from Romania and was absolutely the best. He always went above and beyond for all passengers - whether they were in his group or not. I just can't say enough about how personable he was and all he did - and the other three tour directors (Maureen, Mihai and Alena) did the same. They were personable, funny, and nothing was too much trouble for any of them. There was an older demographic on the ship - DH and I are mid 50's but it didn't matter - we just had a ball! With all the snow, the little German villages, castles, etc, it was just magical. The only "down side" I would say was New Year's Eve - we were told where we could go to a costume shop, buy a goofy hat, etc - and a lot of passengers did. We had been told for a week that we would have a "Dutch band" for NYE and were looking forward to it. What a let down - on NYE, after a lovely dinner, we had a solo "Broadway" singer - he sang dark showtunes and that was it - not what we all wanted to have for NYE. People got disgusted and left - as did we - my book to read was better than that entertainer. Whomever booked that "act" for NYE should be fired - even with an older demographic, we still like to party on NYE! It was really a bummer for everyone. Other than that, we had a wonderful time and would book on Vantage again in a heartbeat - already looking for another trip with an itinierary we would like. This trip had a great "value for money" component - Other than alcoholic drinks (and several times wine and champagne were free) and spending money, everything was included - all tours, etc - I appreciated that fact - we didn't have to plan on how much extra money we would need. Oh - tips to the crew ($12 pp pd suggested) and for your tour director were not included but you will want to tip all of them because of the exemplary service they provide. I cannot urge you enough - do not wait, go book that cruise and you can truly look forward to the trip of a lifetime. If I can answer any questions for you, please just ask! Cindie :cool:

Hi Cindie,

Thank you so much for your wonderful report! It did answer a lot of questions I had. I am sure that I will have some other questions for you. Would you mind if I emailed you?

How were your flights and how long were they? Where was your stopover and how long? Did you book through Vantage or book your own? The reason I am asking is that the DH of the other couple going with us absolutely HATES flying and always wants to know the logistics of the trip.

Steamboats, a special thank you for all your wonderful information. You are amazing! My reservations about medical dr., etc. have now been allayed. It does make sense that a riverboat would not have the room for such facilities.

We have cruised the Mississippi River on a Carnival cruise several years so know about the barrenness along the river. It was an amazing trip down that river into New Orleans. We loved it.

Thank you everyone for all of your information. These boards are amazing and a wonderful source of information.

More later, I am sure.

Mary

Willard, I found the picture of you and Mary. Looks like a great time is being had. I'm looking forward to my next European river cruise in Aug. This is our 3rd one and this time we are doing the "Romancing the Rhine and the Mosel" with GCT.

Carole

Cindiedee and Pam and Steamboats

[1]please relate to weather as one warm weather resident to another. We are cold in S. Ca when it is 46 - 50. Truthfully, I don't have a coat other than a windbreaker and usually dress in layers [camisole, Tee & Sweater when it is cold here. What kind of cold weather clothes did you take or wish you had taken?

[2] Could you add some information on the airline used , the length of the flight and were you able to request your seat preference?

Many thanx CC posters.

I finally found this forum and it is so helpful. We love the 1500 size liners, didn't care for the mega ships and are looking to explore river cruising. Lu'd the American Queen experience for a Christmas cruise.

FSUFan1k,

I assume you´re asking for a Christmas cruise. Have a look on the observed temperatures for December

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/monthly/GMXX0260?month=-1

I´ve choosen Passau but the site is saying these temps have been recorded in Linz (Austria) which isn´t too far away.

Dressing in layers sure is a good advice but I doubt you´ll ever walk around in a T-Shirt only :D at this time of the year. A warm jacket/coat is absolutely necessary for a cruise in November or December in Europe. A windbreaker, sweater and Tee won´t be enough.

I´m just "recovering" from 15°F during the last week here in Munich. Now we´re at about 35°F and it´s raining. Great all that water on the icy sidewalks. I nearly fell twice this morning :mad: .

steamboats

• 2 weeks later...

Hey -sorry to be so long in responding - we took a quick road trip and then DH had to go back in hospital for heart ablation surgery. You need to buy a coat - it is freezing over there! Since we are from S. FL, we, too, are cold at anything less than 60 degrees. We bought longjohns and wore them, pants, long shirts, heavy sweaters, and then a long heavy wool coat on top of that! Plus good waterproof boots, gloves, and hats and scarves - it can really be bitter cold especially if it rains or the wind is blowing. One thing to know is that these are very busy tours - most of the time you walk around the towns (even if you get bussed to the town) and you are out in the elements until it is time for your bus to pick you up. Several times we went in to a restaurant for tea/coffee/kuchen - more to get inside and warm up than because we were hungry/thirsty. And going to the bathroom is a real treat - you have to take all these layers off! One thing I wish Vantage would do is put vents in the cabin bathrooms - there were none and the bathrooms were like a tomb most of the time. Each time we went to the cabin, we would open the bathroom door wide so it would warm up. It never failed, we would go back to the cabin and the cabin stewardess would have been in to tidy up and she ALWAYS shut the bathroom door - a tomb again! Each cabin has its own thermostat so you can have your cabin as cold or as hot as you would like. The temp. on the common areas of the ship are around 70's - there was only one time we were really cold on the ship - and for some reason the lower part of the dining room was like ice and there were no more tables/seats on the top part. All in all, you will absolutely love Vantage river cruises - before we left, we were told once you do a river cruise, you won't go back to the big mega ships - we can sure see why. Because it is small and has so few passengers, the service is the best - it is like they are all just waiting to be able to do something for you. If you don't like scenery and quiet time, you wouldn't like this trip. The evening entertainment isn't the best, but it was different and we went to all of it and had a good time. If you have any questions, you can email me at cindiedeeatadelphia.net (@)-I will be happy to answer any questions y'all may have. We are looking for another river cruise right now and just got a $308 each credit for any Vantage tour we book within a year - we already have a trip to Israel/Egypt/Jordan booked for Nov. 2006 but that is a church trip - but still looking for another river cruise - I just can't say enough about how magical it all was! :cool:

I am not quite with it tonight - I forgot to answer the flight questions! We booked through Vantage and we went on Delta from West Palm Beach to Atlanta (70 minutes), then had to switch to the international terminal. Had about 2-3 hour layover and then took Delta to Munich - it was about a 9 hour flight I think. On the return, we flew Amsterdam to JFK (our LEAST favorite airport) - again, about 9 hours on Delta. Had to go through customs (why are those people in NY so rude????!!!!!) and change to the domestic terminal which had to be a 2 mile walk. Then took Delta JFK to West Palm Beach - about 2 1/2 hour flight. Not sure why they couldn't route us back through Atlanta but probably it was cheaper to go through JFK. A lot of people on the cruise were routed through Washington Dulles - that would have been preferable for us. But all in all, air arrangements were fine and the price was right! :D

Cindiedee, be sure to check the terms on that credit for future trips. I know that Grand Circle's policy states that the trip must depart within one year and if you don't use it within that parameter to amount drops by half. Vantage may be different but it is worth a careful look while you are planning.

Clarence:)

Clarence you are right - the credit does drop in half if you don't use it within one year. We plan to go with Vantage on the China trip April or May of 2007. For Cindiedee - Our Holland to Hungary cruise last August had us going from Tampa to Atlanta then on to Amsterdam via Delta. Uneventful flight. Coming back was another story. Budapest to Paris (with the construction there, it was a mess but we made it) then to Atlanta for customs (what customs, that was a joke) then on to Tampa. We live in Largo and the combined flight home was very long. Having said that we are really pleased with Vantage and would not hesitate going again. Willard

Archived