El Cheapo Sim / Data For Foreigners In Miami For A Day

Streblo

We will disembark at POM Thursday November 8th and have a full day to get to FLL for a flight back to South Africa via Dubai at 8.30pm.

Can anyone recommend a cost effective way to get SIM/DATA combo for at least one day's use? We want to be able to check online for tours, bookings etc. Uber, GPS etc. Budgetary pricing would be a big help.

Some, if not most usage will be on the go, so free WiFi is not really doable.

Thanks.

I don't personally know anyone that has data for just 1 day. But what comes to mind is Verizon, which you can get a 7 day plan for $15. You would need to just go in to a Verizon store. Will it work with your phone if you ONLY have data? I honestly have no idea. But I do have a Verizon data device that I use when camping and I purchase pay as you go accordingly.

There may also be a setup/sim card charge and what not. I'm almost certain Walmart has sim cards and you can check store availability online. Straight Talk comes to mind, for $35 you would get unlimited talk/text/data for 30 days. Whether it's worth this hassle is up to you.

Maybe others can chime in as well with possibly better options.

Wal-Mart.

Check different options each company offers. Some sell a data card like $20 for 2 or 3 gigs of data.

Then buy the prepaid sim for that company. Cheapest prepaid sim I've seen at Wal-Mart was 99cents

Thanks everybody for the advice. So far the best deal I have found is a 99c Sim, 30 Minute airtime at $9.99 and then 1GIG data pre paid plan @ $10 from TracFone through Walmart, valid for 21 service days. I can buy it when we arrive in Tampa on the 23rd October and it will expire on 11th November. I can buy more airtime and data at the same rates if I need. Verizon was significantly more costly with limited options. Their smallest plan was a $20 sim and $40 4GIG data pre paid.

Not sure about Tampa but keep an eye out for vending machines with cards at the airport. I haven't had any luck in the Caribbean finding cards.

I use worldtravelsim think most of the Caribbean islands voice is around 29 cents a minute not sure about data.

We have similar issues when in USA. For such a short period we cope with free WiFi in cafes/coffee shops etc, and for navigation use the Here We Go app and download the maps we need to use before we travel. The GPS works great.