Carnival cruiser considering taking a Royal cruise.

schazzy

I haven't been on RC for a few years but last time we were on, shorts weren't allowed in the MDR and people dressed up a lot more on formal nights. On Carnival men can get away with Hawaiian shirts and Khakis on elegant night. On RC most men wear suits. My last Carnival cruise there were lots of guys with tank tops , basketball shorts and ball caps even on elegant night.

I enjoy the entertainment more on RC but think the food is better on Carnival. It's all subjective though. You'll have a great time. It's always fun to explore a new ship!

I haven't been on RC for a few years but last time we were on, shorts weren't allowed in the MDR and people dressed up a lot more on formal nights. On Carnival men can get away with Hawaiian shirts and Khakis on elegant night. On RC most men wear suits. My last Carnival cruise there were lots of guys with tank tops , basketball shorts and ball caps even on elegant night.

I enjoy the entertainment more on RC but think the food is better on Carnival. It's all subjective though. You'll have a great time. It's always fun to explore a new ship!

Most men were very casual on formal nights on our last 3-4 recent RCI cruises

Bill

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

schazzy I appreciate what you wrote that you're not looking to "jump the fence" and totally give up on Carnival, as we never have either. For me/us it's great to "jump" back and forth among cruise lines but especially to try different classes of ships on the same or other cruise brand. That really is where we keep our sense of cruise adventure going the strongest.

I love Carnival. It is hard for me to go anywhere else, because they generally offer the best price for where I've wanted to go. With that said, I do plan on trying Royal sooner than later. It's good to hear that you are giving it a whirl. Better to try than to not know. The average person is most likely not going to hate one and love the other. They appear to have many similarities. Maybe you will find a clear winner after.

I have sailed Carnival three times and Royal once. I have enjoyed both lines. To be honest, I have never sailed on the same ship more than once. I think between Carnival, Norwegian, and Royal, there is probably more similarities than differences. There are pluses and minuses to all lines.

Adventure OTS is Voyager class that came out about 1999.

At the time the Royal Promenade was a major innovation in naval architecture and the first one, Voyager, was the biggest cruise ship in the world!

Now people call them small.

My favourite class on RCL, with Mariner #1.

• 2 weeks later...
schazzy I appreciate what you wrote that you're not looking to "jump the fence" and totally give up on Carnival, as we never have either. For me/us it's great to "jump" back and forth among cruise lines but especially to try different classes of ships on the same or other cruise brand. That really is where we keep our sense of cruise adventure going the strongest.

Yeah, by booking the Carnival Sunshine for next year, we are branching out to different classes of ships and then we will be trying a different line with Adventure OTS. We also broke away from Bahamas cruises and looking to go to new ports, so we too are trying to strengthen our sense of adventure! :)

I love Carnival. It is hard for me to go anywhere else, because they generally offer the best price for where I've wanted to go. With that said, I do plan on trying Royal sooner than later. It's good to hear that you are giving it a whirl. Better to try than to not know. The average person is most likely not going to hate one and love the other. They appear to have many similarities. Maybe you will find a clear winner after.

Yeah, that's been the same with us, but the price and itinerary winner was Royal this time, so after some research and reassurances from the posters on here, like you said, better to give it a try than not. I feel there will be a some little differences, but for the most part, I'm sure I won't find it to be too different.

I have sailed Carnival three times and Royal once. I have enjoyed both lines. To be honest, I have never sailed on the same ship more than once. I think between Carnival, Norwegian, and Royal, there is probably more similarities than differences. There are pluses and minuses to all lines.

Yeah, from what I've been seeing, it seems like when it comes to mass-market lines, it's the same dish served on different plates :D

At the time the Royal Promenade was a major innovation in naval architecture and the first one, Voyager, was the biggest cruise ship in the world!

Now people call them small.

My favourite class on RCL, with Mariner #1.

Well, the Adventure OTS will be a big enough ship for us! :D

I'm in no hurry to cruise on a MEGA ship anytime soon.

At the time the Royal Promenade was a major innovation in naval architecture and the first one, ...

Not quite true. The Royal Promenade was a major innovation in naval architecture, but it was not innovated on the Voyager class in 1999. At that point the innovation was around for about a decade already.

It´s been an innovation by the Turku shipyard (the same one that built the Voyager class) and it was first used on the Silja Serenade, which was ordered in 1987 and started sailing in 1990.

RCI might have been the first ones to use this concept for cruise ships, but for sure the Voyager class ships were not the first ships to have a Promenade.