Fort Lauderdale - hotel - port....Help please

Guest hockeychic

Now that we've established that there are deals to be had, depending on who you are, how old you are, and when you are going......

Are there any horror stories I should know about, as I have booked for January 2007, because of this thread? I was booked at the Travel Lodge...hubby didn't like the online reviews, apparently dirty...so I changed to the Comfort Inn, as we have never had a bad stay at any of their hotels, but many online reviews indicated creepy, bugs, dirty bed linens, sand paper towels, bathrooms discusting, and smelly garbage complete with critters...so okay let me have the bad news.

Choice Hotels reservations probably thinks I am a total nut case, as I have changed my hotel twice in the last 18 hours...Sleep Inn is hotel #3...4 if you count me cancelling CCL's overpriced pre-cruise package.

Now that we've established that there are deals to be had, depending on who you are, how old you are, and when you are going......

Are there any horror stories I should know about, as I have booked for January 2007, because of this thread? I was booked at the Travel Lodge...hubby didn't like the online reviews, apparently dirty...so I changed to the Comfort Inn, as we have never had a bad stay at any of their hotels, but many online reviews indicated creepy, bugs, dirty bed linens, sand paper towels, bathrooms discusting, and smelly garbage complete with critters...so okay let me have the bad news.

Choice Hotels reservations probably thinks I am a total nut case, as I have changed my hotel twice in the last 18 hours...Sleep Inn is hotel #3...4 if you count me cancelling CCL's overpriced pre-cruise package.

If this is the Sleep Inn in Dania, there are very nice reviews - Under some titles such as "Fort Lauderdale Hotels". Not on this East Coast Departure section, but on the Hotels - Pre/Post Cruise thread.

Good luck!

If this is the Sleep Inn in Dania, there are very nice reviews - Under some titles such as "Fort Lauderdale Hotels". Not on this East Coast Departure section, but on the Hotels - Pre/Post Cruise thread.

Good luck!

thanks

I really don't have a clue what the "Significant Organization" really is but...we've used it several times at different hotels and have never been questioned. We are in our 40's so...not quite to the "Senior" age group yet. I wouldn't think the "Smarter Travel" website would promote it if it would be a problem but some hotels could push the issue, I guess. I hope nobody has a problem!!

Well I just sent off an email to the PR Dept. @ Smarter Travel asking who qualifies to use the "Significant Organization Rate". Hope to get a reply. We all have been wondering about this, so I do hope they will explain. :confused: I'll post what I get back.

Vada

VADA-Thanks for sending off that email. That is the only way to get this question answered. Looking forward to hearing from you again when you hear from them. Thanks! :)

DANSU-Yes, it is the Sleep Inn in Dania that has the good reviews. We stayed there in Oct 2004 and are booked again this Oct. I don't think you will be sorry. It was comfortable, clean, nice staff and close to airport/port. Plus they have the FREE shuttle to airport/port and free breakfast and it's a cheap stay! Man....can't beat a deal like that! :)

I don't think you will be sorry. It was comfortable, clean, nice staff and close to airport/port. Plus they have the FREE shuttle to airport/port and free breakfast and it's a cheap stay! Man....can't beat a deal like that! :)

...especially with what we have to spend on the cruise :rolleyes:

We have a group staying at the Dania Sleep Inn this November. Ages range from sub-10 to post-70. We picked this hotel due to the good reviews (here on the CC boards) and the price available as a member of a "Significant Organization" (also found by reading CC boards). I'll post at the end of November on our experiences at the hotel and am curious as to what answer, in any, PanamaGuy gets from Smarter Travel.

Thanks for all the good information on this thread. We booked the SI for Feb 22 & 23rd. Could not find anything decent for under but got SI for $143.99 & $167.99 for the 2 Queen suite.(called direct to the hotel) This rate includes the plus 60 discount. Checked the link to smartertravel and the rate was the same using the significant organization. Unfortunately all the King bed rooms were already booked so had to get the higher rate for the suite but still a good deal compared to other hotel rates I had been checking out.

Just booked the Sleep Inn for 135.99 + tax using the 60+ rate for Jan 2007. It was still cheaper than the significant organization rate. At least for the suite it was. We just booked our airfare $99 each way on jetblue from NY to Fl. We are all ready to go and can't wait.

Good Morning eveyone, Just back and stayed at the SI for a one night precruise stay. Here's the latest update: We had an over 60 rate and no problems. Of course,I am over 60 LOL The room is not that large even tho called a suite, but it is 2 beds which were comfortable, regular room stuff with a small table and 2 chairs to eat on, an annexed off area with a small couch and a coffee table. Plenty of room for 2. Bath was clean and we asked for and got a little bag of sundries, like toothbrush, toothpaste, moisturizer and bath gel. Perfect, didn't have to go into checked luggage. Everything was clean.

Call the shuttle from baggage and it takes about 8 minutes to get there if not on way. No problem. Booked shuttle to port for 10 AM next morning right away as we checked in. Again no problem. he was right there. In fact at 9:45 we asked if we just went out and they called and asked how long he would be so we could sit inside in the ac.

Breakfast was good. Oatmeal, hot; grits, biscuita and gravy, cold cereal, fruit,toast, bagels, danish, coffee, tea milk and juice, and of course make your own fresh waffles with syrup. Not bad for free.

Walgreens across the parking lot not that great compared to local one. No travel size things of any significance. No problem. Across the street is a large dollar store with everything you need , shampoo, deod., etc. i suggest you just buy it there and leave excess on the ship. Better than packing. Also a Publix to pick up any soda or wine etc. Ladies you can even have your nails done.

We ate at the Italian restaurant, Villa JoJo, in the same little mall. It was excellent and inexpensive. We ate at 5PM and it was early bird until 7. For 8.95 you get soup (homemade lentil for us) or salad, choice of things like spaghetti and meatballs , ravioli, manicotti, For 9.95 you get same start choice then chicken parm, eggplant parm etc. You get dessert, spumoni, and choice of drink. Also rolls or garlic rolls. it was very good and homemade, the owner being from Italy. Can't beat the deal.

There is alos a Mexican restaurant and a deli type in the mall as well as chicken in Publix.

We were picked up next morning and at the port by 10:30 and abourd our ship, Royal Caribbean Enchantment by 11:15.

This is still the best deal in town. Hope everyone enjoys there stays and cruises Beej

I really appreciate your wonderfull review, and that the hotel was clean and the shuttle was easy to use.

We have rented a car at the airport and was going to return it to the port, and take a cab to the terminal. But now we are going to return it in Dania, and take the shuttle to the Port.

Once at the Port, is there much of a walk from where the shuttle lets you off to the terminal?

beej -

Thanks for the info. We have a few under 60 checking in - so we'll see how it goes. It sounds like a fully acceptable place to stay pre- post-cruise. The italian restaurant sounds really nice for what it is, which sounds right up our alley. I think we'll put all our deod, t-paste, etc in checked and assume it will get thru. If not, Publix will restock us. Thanks again and remember, if you make it up to York Beach, ME hit up Mimmo's. I think you'll like it!

Mike

Dansu, the shuttle left us off right at the spot where they take your luggage to put on the ship. We had to walk around the corner of the building down a bit to the door to enter and check in, but only had to take carry on. They now have chairs inside to sit in with ac and water. We were in the first row so we boarded quickly once we got started. They were very organized.

Before you go to Publix go to the front desk and ask for the little baggie with the goodies. They have an if you forgot it bag with toothpaste, sample size, toothbrush, shower gel comb and I think body cream or something. If you need bigger sizes the Dollar Store is great, but with 2 people depending on the length of the cruise you may be good to go except for deodorant. Didn't have ti take out the toothpaste or brush in the room so that was good. Dollar store has Suave, White Rain etc, so try them first.

Found magnetic clothespins in a package. if you have a showercurtain they worked well. Clipped one on each bottom end and they stuck to the wall to keep the curtain in and down.

Good Morning eveyone, Just back and stayed at the SI for a one night precruise stay. Here's the latest update: We had an over 60 rate and no problems. Of course,I am over 60 LOL The room is not that large even tho called a suite, but it is 2 beds which were comfortable, regular room stuff with a small table and 2 chairs to eat on, an annexed off area with a small couch and a coffee table. Plenty of room for 2. Bath was clean and we asked for and got a little bag of sundries, like toothbrush, toothpaste, moisturizer and bath gel. Perfect, didn't have to go into checked luggage. Everything was clean.

Call the shuttle from baggage and it takes about 8 minutes to get there if not on way. No problem. Booked shuttle to port for 10 AM next morning right away as we checked in. Again no problem. he was right there. In fact at 9:45 we asked if we just went out and they called and asked how long he would be so we could sit inside in the ac.

Breakfast was good. Oatmeal, hot; grits, biscuita and gravy, cold cereal, fruit,toast, bagels, danish, coffee, tea milk and juice, and of course make your own fresh waffles with syrup. Not bad for free.

Walgreens across the parking lot not that great compared to local one. No travel size things of any significance. No problem. Across the street is a large dollar store with everything you need , shampoo, deod., etc. i suggest you just buy it there and leave excess on the ship. Better than packing. Also a Publix to pick up any soda or wine etc. Ladies you can even have your nails done.

We ate at the Italian restaurant, Villa JoJo, in the same little mall. It was excellent and inexpensive. We ate at 5PM and it was early bird until 7. For 8.95 you get soup (homemade lentil for us) or salad, choice of things like spaghetti and meatballs , ravioli, manicotti, For 9.95 you get same start choice then chicken parm, eggplant parm etc. You get dessert, spumoni, and choice of drink. Also rolls or garlic rolls. it was very good and homemade, the owner being from Italy. Can't beat the deal.

There is alos a Mexican restaurant and a deli type in the mall as well as chicken in Publix.

We were picked up next morning and at the port by 10:30 and abourd our ship, Royal Caribbean Enchantment by 11:15.

This is still the best deal in town. Hope everyone enjoys there stays and cruises Beej

Thanks so much for the post. I'm sure this will be helpful to a lot of people including myself. We are also staying at SI in Dania next month for our precruise stay, and we have stayed there once before. One question I do have that I don't remember from last time is, is the Publix within walking distance like the Walgreens is? Also, is the Italian restaurant within walking distance or did you have to take a cab? Thanks so much!

Thanks to everyone for the great information and a special thanks to SeaFan for pointing me to this thread....we've been researching for days and trying to decide on a hotel in FLL pre-cruise April 2007 ...sounds like SI will fit the bill...

one question to those who have stayed there - one of our party is a very light sleeper and she's asking if the rooms are quiet ...anyone know?

P A, Walgreen's is across the parking lot. The little strip mall is just directly across the street. You walk out the door, turn right, and cross the street into the little mall. Couldn't be more perfect. Enjoy your trips everyone Beej

I considered the HI Express and Extended, but read that their beds were hard. I may reconsider if you suggest differently. We are currently scheduled at Hampton Inn FLL Airport on 12th street. The reservation can be cancelled. I keep trying on priceline but only have had rejections so far. I am hoping for something under $160 for January 5, 2007. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks. Marlyne

Beej Thanks for the review.

I have a question... Did you book the "over 60" rate or are you saying that is what they consider the "significant organization" rate?

OffTopic, did you enjoy your Enchantment Cruise? That is our destination in December... can't wait! :D

A~

A~ We booked the over 60 rate. I liked the Enchantment,but over 400 kids on board. The Solarium was the pool of choice on the 3 sea days, otherwise it was crazy. You will totally love Captain Olson. He is a joy and a very funny man. We told him if he gives up sailing, he has a job waiting in the wings. Being a cutie doesn't hurt. He is charming.

Crew on board was one of the best I have encountered. Everyone to a man was friendly and helpful. Bathroom was very small, we had a superior OV. Found that magnetic clothespins on the end of the shower curtain work well sticking to the metal wall and keeping the shower curtain in place. You will totally enjoy the EOS. She is a grand Old Girl. Barb

Found magnetic clothespins in a package. if you have a showercurtain they worked well. Clipped one on each bottom end and they stuck to the wall to keep the curtain in and down.

beej - that's a great idea, thanks for passing it on! ;)

Mike

Pam, Dianne has the answer. When you cross the street you walk right into the parking lot of the little mall. The Villa JoJo is right there and walk around the corner to Publix. it is all of about a block long. That is what makes the SI so great; free shuttles, breakfast, and restaurants and dollar store etc right there. no need for a car or anything. BTW, Dania Beach is about a mile from the SI, but I have not gone there. They say that it is a really nice beach, but I can't vouch for it.

Archived