Fort Lauderdale - hotel - port....Help please

Guest hockeychic

Thanks Dianne and Beej~that is exactly what I needed to know. Last time we stayed at the SI our flight didn't get in to FLL until 10:30pm so we didn't have time to do anything. All we did was run over to the Walgreens the next morning and pick up some bottled water and pop. This time our flight gets in at 5pm, so we'll have time for dinner and some quick shopping. My sister and her husband are going with us this time so I wanted to have all the options available. Now....if they can just get their beer on board, they will be happy!

Thanks so much for all your helpful info! :) Less than 6 weeks to go!

Back in July I made a reservation using the Significant Organization Savings Rate and printed my confirmation at that time. I just went back to the website and under my confirmation number in the details it says "(An eligible party must occupy the room to qualify for the Significant Organization Savings Rate.)"

That wasn't stated when I made the reservation, and it isn't printed on my confirmation papers I had printed right away in July. I really don't want to show up and find out that I am not eligible for the reduced rate and have to pay more so I decided to call and ask them what it means.

The guy that answered said it was for organizations that had a special rate. For example Sams Club and Costco. He said if you select the Significant Oraganization option it will ask you for Special Rate Id, which I know it didn't ask me for when I make the reservation. I am a Sams Member so I'm hoping if they question me when we arrive I can just show prove of that and still get the reduced rate.

Anyways, hopefully this information will help some of you asking what the rate is for.

We are members of Farm Bureau in our state. When we get our statement, there are discounts listed for which we qualify. One of those discounts is a code for Choice Hotels. The Sleep Inn is part of the Choice Hotel group. When you go to the Choice Hotel website you have an opportunity to put in your Significant Organization Savings Rate. When I put in our code, it asks me if I am a member of Tennessee Farm Bureau. If I reply "yes" then I can continue to the website where the special rates will appear. It seems that on the Smarter Travel website, the name of the organization being used for the discount is skipped and you are taken directly to the reservation site. There is no way to tell what organization code you are using.

The Over 60 discount can only be booked on the 800 number. If you qualify for that, it is usually about the same savings as the Significant Organization Savings Rate. At times it is even better. There is also a Senior Discount on the website for those who are over either 50 or 55. I cannot remember the exact age. It is not quite as good as the over 60 rate, but better than the regular rate.

I hope this helps to explain the Significant Organization Savings rate.

We have stayed at the Sleep Inn in Fort Lauderdale several times and have found it a great place for a one night precruise stay.

We are booked for the SI end of oct. got great rate of $102 Booked mmostly for the freeparking and for the shuttle toand from the port. Has anyone left there car there. Is it a safe place to leave your car? What about the shuttle back to hotel from the ship?

kokoko,

You say you booked mostly for the free parking, But when we booked this hotel for Nov. Only about 2 weeks ago, We where told it would cost $7.00 per day to park. I called several times for other reasons and was told the same fee for parking..... How did you get free parking? I would double check on that....

From what I have read there is no hotel that offers A shuttle from port back to the hotel to pick up your car, you will need to get A cab.... They offer shuttle service to and from the Airport and only to the port, But not from port to hotel ... This info came from several people who post to this board that live in or near Fort Lauderdale..... And from the hotel itself when I called....

kokoko,

You say you booked mostly for the free parking, But when we booked this hotel for Nov. Only about 2 weeks ago, We where told it would cost $7.00 per day to park. I called several times for other reasons and was told the same fee for parking..... How did you get free parking? I would double check on that....

From what I have read there is no hotel that offers A shuttle from port back to the hotel to pick up your car, you will need to get A cab.... They offer shuttle service to and from the Airport and only to the port, But not from port to hotel ... This info came from several people who post to this board that live in or near Fort Lauderdale..... And from the hotel itself when I called....

Stay Park Fly and Save. Stay123.com's convenient, park stay and fly airport hotel and parking package includes free parking up to 15 days, free round trip airport transportation with one night airport hotel accommodation at special discounted rates. Stay before or after your flight for the same discounted rate. An exceptional value over daily parking rates.

Book secure online and save!

Status

Ft Lauderdale Sleep Inn 2006/10/30 2006/10/31 Confirmed

Detail Information

Reservation Information

Num Adults 2

Num Childs 0

Rooms 1

Room Type One King / Queen

Smoking Prefrence smoking

Comments

Billing Information

Hotel Information

Sleep Inn

Ft Lauderdale

Customer Bill Information

Total Bill:$102.35

Date Of Reservation:2006/09/04

And I called directly to the hotel to verify the reservation was made and that I had the free parking. I don't know what else I can do . I did make a copy of everything to take with me. Also I saw where I had booked the park and fly. So I called the hotel and asked about the free shuttle to the port and they said that it was available.

Okay that would explain it... We booked through the hotel website...Thanks for the info... My only other question would be is the free parking at the hotel or offsite?

Now that is a good question. I am going to have to call I had just assumed it was at the hotel but you know never assume anything. I also see that they now have comfort suites for $89+taxes or about $102. On that same site. But I havent read upon comfort suites.

kokoko, When you find out where the parking is could you please post the info, I may want to go the way you are and save on the parking....And this info may benefit others as well....

As for the comfort suites through my research on this board and posted by others, It did not get the greatest reviews, some good, but too many bad for us to switch, Check out tripadvisor.com for some reviews, but you always have to take these with A grain of salt...... you are better off staying where you are..... There are too many positive reviews for the sleep inn and affordable... Why mess with A good thing;) :D

O.K. I just got off the phone with them and yes the parking is at the hotel and they do pick you up at the port as long as you have a car parked there. He said the lot is not secure but they have alot of camaras and the area around there is good. I told them they were getting alot of good reveiws over the internet. You have convinced me to stay with what I have, I don't remember reading any bad reveiws abut this hotel. Hope this helps others to save a little Remember save a dollar gives you a dollar closer to the next cruise.

Looking back to post #6 of this thread they say The publix has a decent wine selection, and there is a package store close where you can get hard liquor.

Ko Ko Ko, thanks for the info, please give us a report when you get back.

The Publix has a decent wine selection, if you can't find what you want there's a newer Publix 1/2 a mile north of the Sleep Inn (on Dania Beach Blvd) that has double the wine selection of the one close to the Sleep Inn. There's a package store where hard liquor can be purchased by the Sleep Inn as well. ;)

Bequia, If your still watching this thread can you or anyone else that knows Please tell me where the package liquor store is?

kokoko, Thanks for finding out that very important info about booking with that site and the details, It will benefit me as well as others..... also thanks for the info on the walgreens, I just assumed they would have A Liquor store attached.... lesson... Never assume:D

Sea Fan, Thanks for pointing me to that post # I just hate waisting time hunting for a Liquor store when I just want to run in and out and get busy having fun.... Can you tell I hate shopping....

• 2 weeks later...

I had stayed in FLL Marriott Marina / Grande and it was perfectly fine.

We are cruising out of FLL on Star Princess in late January 20th. considering the Sheraton Yankee Trader Beach Resort. Any thought on this property in regards to surrounding shopping and transporttation etc?

We will arrive via red eye from LAX ar around 6 am. Not sure if the hotel has an airport shuttle. We travel with an almost 2 year old, so a full day beachside should be be nice for all.

Thanks for any input.

Martin

Bequia;

I am hoping you can help me out. My party of 4 Adults is arriving Nov 9 for two nights. Based on the reviews from the boards I booked the Bahia Mar. This was over a year ago. I loved the idea of being right on the beach and close to the water taxi.

Recently I was on TripAdvisor and the recent reviews are awful. I am really starting to get nervous. I was responsible for picking the hotel and I am afraid it will be awful. We are paying $204 per night for all 4 of us plus taxes and fees.

What is you opinion of the hotel? Would recommend another hotel in the same price range and similar location?

Thanks so much!!:D

Catherine,

For the same price you can book the Lago Mar. http://lagomar.com/

Definately a better location. It's directly on the ocean, gorgeous grounds and pool, excellent restaurant, and a little closer to the port, truly a beautiful resort.

I entered your travel date on their website and it showed availability for $205 a night. You may be able to get a better price on a travel website.

Trust me, you will have no regrets staying at the Lago Mar. ;)

///////////////////

Bequia,

For 4 of us Lago Mar runs $265 a night. I was able to reserve a room at the Grande for about $14.00 cheaper than the Bahia Mar.

I would love to pay the extra $100 to stay at Lago Mar but I have 2 seniors traveling with me who are convinced they are already paying way too much for a hotel, although they want 5 star elegance and ammenity:rolleyes:

My H and I stayed in FLL in Feb. I did a last minute cruise booking for my H's Christmas present. It was over Valentine's weekend so my choices were very limited. We ended up staying at the Comfort Suites Port and Airport. In my opinion it was an overpriced roach motel. :o I don't want to make the same mistake again.

Right now I have reservations at both the Bahia and the Grand. Would you recommend the Grande over the Bahia? I know the water taxi makes a stop at the beach so beachfront wouldn't be completely necessary.

Bequia;

Sorry to bother you again!

Our original reservation at Bahia was $452.88. I can get the Grande for a total of $407.34 through Travelocity.

What should I do? My party likes elegance and pampering. Hanging out on the beach or at a beautiful pool is a toss up considering we are cruising. We also plan on using the water taxi and well as the rental car we have reserved. On a side note we are cruising out of Miami.....don't know if this makes a difference or not.

Catherine, Try easy click travel

http://easyclicktravel.com/PageDefault.aspx

Once again, on the hotels page I entered Ft Lauderdale, 2 rooms, 2 people per room checking in November 9th and checking out November 11th. It's coming up with a rate of $144.47 per night for a standard room. Try it.

If you don't come up with similar pricing or the deal doesn't work for you let me know, then we can consider decent alternatives. I would really love to see you get into the Lago Mar though. It's everything your looking for and more.

I still haven't heard anything. I am checking my e-mail every 30 mins. The price you found is better than the original price I had at Bahia for a wonderful hotel! I am hoping and praying I get it.

Thanks for the website suggestion. I had never even heard of it before. I have checked all the standards, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, ect.... Nothing even compares to this price.:D

I just noticed that you stated 2 rooms when you checked the price. We are actually all staying in the same room. Hopefully, easyclick took that into consideration when quoting our price. The quote includes 4 people in 1 room. I looked on Lago Mar website and they have only specific rooms for 4 adults.

Archived