Exchange Rate $ to Euros Onboard

Empty Nest Traveler

Oh, I'm not saying it's better, just that not all Debit cards are complete duds. Especially on places that don't take credit cards. I'm in the Dan camp of charge what you can for points.

Thanks for clarifying :)

Location, Location, Location

If you primarily sit on the ship, or just venture into the main port city, Hawaiidan’s game may be effective. Venture into the country side of many third world countries and you may find venues that accept credit cards to be few and far between. Also, playing the role of ugly Americans and forcing them to accept dollars, which they may have difficulty getting converted, because you are to lazy to acquire local currency is bad taste, IMO.

Just attended a wonderful local festival here in Transylvania. Great local food, local beer and wines. No credit cards accepted by any of the venues . Location is key!

Money back is not all bad but does it give him enough money back to buy international business class tickets like a card giving back miles (for same amount of spending)?

Thats my take you get a lot less % back in cash than in value.... I have not had to buy an international Business of first for 20 years tickets that run $5 to $10 K pp !!! My biggest objection the Debit is you dont get the float on the debt, frequently can have a hold put on your account ( lock) and if lost you can have your account drained in seconds with no insurance having to fight the bank to get it back. CC's give you total protection and insurance on purchases.

Most of my travels are well off the beaten track in France, Germany Switzerland. I beat feet out of cities to the hinterlands and have yet to see a place where I wanted to go that did not accept cards. As for the third world... been there done that .... no way pleasurable to see people in abject poverty and towns in sad states... If you like that cool. Not me

As for Ugly American, is it more offensive to ask to pay with a cc or Parade as a wealthy tourist ( wealthy to them may be having enough food to eat) in your designer clothes and sun glasses, taking pictures of people living in rags as a curiosity ??? Like visiting the zoo to see all the strange little animals there....