New York City-5 nights with teens-Hotel?

KathiB

Hi All,

I'm cruising to the Med. this summer and have gotten sooo much info on these boards for that trip so I thought I'd post a question for an upcoming trip to NYC.

My husband and I are taking our 15 year old daughter and her 16 year old friend to NY April 18-23. I am looking for a hotel. We are pretty familiar with NY. I lived in Brooklyn until I was 3 and went back to NY often to visit relatives so have done most of the big sights. Also took both our daughters there 2 years ago for Thanksgiving. We are comfortable on the subway and walking for hours.

We would like to be in Midtown. Close to times Sq. but not in the middle of all the lights/tourists/craziness. Would like to be somewhat close to Central Park, 5th Ave. etc.

We need either 2 separate rooms that maybe connect or a suite type set up with a completely sep. bedroom so we all have some privacy. If sep. rooms we need to keep it under $200 a room. If it's a suite it would be great to pay $350 or less. The prices I'm seeing are soo high! We don't need 5 star but I don't want threadbare carpets and rooms that smell.

I have been reading reviews on trip advisor. Have made notes on Comfort Inn Midtown, Hotel Warwick, Hilton NY, Novotel, Flatotel, Sheraton NY and the Wellington Hotel. Two more things...should I book directly with hotel and use AAA or AARP discounts or use Expedia , Priceline,etc? And the best way to get good seats for shows like Spam-a Lot, etc. Should I buy on my own in advance or go to booth in Times Sq. the day of the show? Any suggestions from New Yorkers or you seasoned travelers would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks so much,

KathiB:)

Kathy,

Look into the chain of moderate hotels here that have small kichen facility's. I think the 800 phone number you ask for is "me suites" and they'll give you the no's for all the individual hotels. I know that Dumont Plaza on 34th betw. 3rd & Lex is part of the chain and people like staying there.

Hotel 30/30 is also renovated ad trying to fo more uupscale.

JAne

And the best way to get good seats for shows like Spam-a Lot, etc. Should I buy on my own in advance or go to booth in Times Sq. the day of the show? Any suggestions from New Yorkers or you seasoned travelers would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Kathi - You're going to be in NY during school vacation week (at least Upstate NY's school vacation week) and it's likely to be busy. If you want to see a show like Spamalot, don't depend on the TKTS booth; there likely won't be tickets available at the booth for such a popular show, especially during a vacation week. I'd buy in advance if you want a specific show with in-demand tickets. If you don't want to buy in advance, you can try the box office the day of the show to see whether they've had any returns. I have a friend who managed to get tickets to The Producers with Broderick and Lane that way. If you're open to what you see, the TKTS booth is a good deal; I've seen several shows at reduced prices that way. (I managed half-price tickets to A Chorus Line right before they announced the show's closing and had great orchestra seats. Couldn't get seats the next week!) You do have to be prepared to stand in line (I'm not a native NYer, otherwise I'd say "on line":)), and they do not take credit cards. The booth is open until showtime, but needless to say the best tickets go first.

Hi All,

I'm cruising to the Med. this summer and have gotten sooo much info on these boards for that trip so I thought I'd post a question for an upcoming trip to NYC.

My husband and I are taking our 15 year old daughter and her 16 year old friend to NY April 18-23. I am looking for a hotel. We are pretty familiar with NY. I lived in Brooklyn until I was 3 and went back to NY often to visit relatives so have done most of the big sights. Also took both our daughters there 2 years ago for Thanksgiving. We are comfortable on the subway and walking for hours.

We would like to be in Midtown. Close to times Sq. but not in the middle of all the lights/tourists/craziness. Would like to be somewhat close to Central Park, 5th Ave. etc.

We need either 2 separate rooms that maybe connect or a suite type set up with a completely sep. bedroom so we all have some privacy. If sep. rooms we need to keep it under $200 a room. If it's a suite it would be great to pay $350 or less. The prices I'm seeing are soo high! We don't need 5 star but I don't want threadbare carpets and rooms that smell.

I have been reading reviews on trip advisor. Have made notes on Comfort Inn Midtown, Hotel Warwick, Hilton NY, Novotel, Flatotel, Sheraton NY and the Wellington Hotel. Two more things...should I book directly with hotel and use AAA or AARP discounts or use Expedia , Priceline,etc? And the best way to get good seats for shows like Spam-a Lot, etc. Should I buy on my own in advance or go to booth in Times Sq. the day of the show? Any suggestions from New Yorkers or you seasoned travelers would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks so much,

For a bargain, consider Super 8, I've stayed here several times, convenient to Times Square and most anywhere. Priceline will only guarantee 1 bed in NY. If you need two, you are taking a big chance. You are not likely to get any seats for Spamalot, it has been sold out for months, look on line and see if any tickets are available and purchase them. Won't find any otherwise likely. These will NOT be at the TKTS booth.

Thanks for your suggestions so far. I have checked some online tickets services and will buy the Spam-a-Lot tickets that way. Other show we can take our chances with.

Still looking for a Midtown hotel. See my first post above for our criteria. Any more suggestions are very much appreciated!

KathiB

Going back about a year, there was a post (I think on the Carnival board) from GoinCruisin giving a favorable review to the Park Central Hotel - 7th Avenue near Central Park. It's an older hotel, but a good location. I've been past it, but haven't been inside.

we are staying at the Best Western Hospitality. 2 room suite with 4 beds all together. kitchenette and free breakfast. Might be a little pricey, but from what I have found, it is the biggest place I can find for the money. I looks huge from the websites and lots of room.

Stefani

KathiB, your dates are for Easter Week and the city will be packed with prices reflecting that.

Book something now and then start shopping.

Suggestions:

Salisbury Hotel

Travel Inn

Red Rood Inn

Try the Affina.com hotels. Some may be in your range.

Try pricing hotels Downtown instead of in Midtown.

Downtown hotels:

Club Quarters

Embassy Suites

Best Western Seaport (new, due to open soon)

Manhattan Seaport Suites (soon to be The Exchange Hotel)

BlueHeron: Did checkout some of your recommendations...Salisbury,Red roof... nothing seems to fit so far. Thanks for the info.

Also looking at: Belvedere Hotel, Broadway Inn, Casablanca and Hotel Metro. Anyone know about these? Or others?

Kathi

We booked the Casablanca for our post cruise visit. It looks like a lovely hotel and has wonderful reviews on tripadvisor.com. They provide a continental breakfast, snacks, fruit, cookies, popcorn, coffee, juices throughout the day so that will help keep costs down food-wise. They also provide free passes to a local gym if you are interested. We won't be there until July but it certainly looks wonderful to me.

I would love to stay at Casablanca...I'm going to call them...I don't know if they have rooms they will accommodate 4 or if I would need 2 rooms (something I am trying to avoid because of cost). Are therejust 2 of you? Thanks for the suggestion. I am open to more. Anyone?

Kathi

KathiB. There are three of us, we booked a suite. A king size bed with a fold out sofa. With the suite aspect and the breakfast and snacks that are available, the passes to the gym and the location the price is competitive. We looked a LOT before choosing it. It's hard when we are on the other side of the country (like you) and we've never been to NY before. Thank goodness for cruisecritic to steer us in the right direction.

We booked the Casablanca for our post cruise visit. It looks like a lovely hotel and has wonderful reviews on tripadvisor.com. They provide a continental breakfast, snacks, fruit, cookies, popcorn, coffee, juices throughout the day so that will help keep costs down food-wise. They also provide free passes to a local gym if you are interested. We won't be there until July but it certainly looks wonderful to me.

Have no idea where the hotel is, but it sounds great. Hopefully, you won't be in the hotel during the day to have the snacks! ;)

Jane

We'll be staying in NYC at the beginning of April, 2 adults plus one 10 year old. We've book The Blakely Hotel which has standard rooms with 2 double beds plus suites (not sure of the layout or price). It has been getting very good reviews on Trip Advisor.

Don't know the hotel, but you're in an excellent location.

Jane

Jane,

The Blakely Hotel used to be the Gorham on W. 55th between 6th and 7th. We stayed there a few years ago. I stumbled upon the Blakely today in a Frommers book and read that it was recently completely redone by new owners and is now the Blakely. I am going to check it out for a suite. The Casablanca also sounds good because of the free breakfast, etc. It's on W.43rd St. just east of Broadway. If they can fit 4 in a room I may go with it. Jane, which is the better location between these two? We will see one Broadway show and then be all over the place by foot and subway. Judging by some of your other posts you are very familiar with NY so I appreciate all you comments.

Thanks everyone!

KathiB

PS If you have any questions about the Napa Valley, CA just ask me!

Kathi...Hi! Just an FYI...since you'll be there during Easter week, NYC will be mobbed and hotel rates will be at their peaks.

Two of our favorite hotels in Midtown are Le Parker Meridien and the Westin NY at Times Square. Unfortunately, I don't think they're what you're looking for. The Casablanca sounds like it maybe a good fit.

I have a friend who stays at the Doubletree several times during the year and she loves it.

If you were looking outside of Midtown, I'd recommend Embassy Suites in Lower Manhattan overlooking the Hudson (comp breakfast and happy hour) but you'd be doing a lot of travelling with the girls in tow. Trip Advisor loves this hotel.

Good luck with your decision. ;)

p.s. Oh, I've found I usually get the best deals through the hotel's direct site. Also, if you're a hotel member (Starwood, etc.), you'll get the points. I've found that most of the time the AAA rate is the same as the "best available rate".

• 3 months later...

Pam,

Funny you should post right now...we leave tomorrow morning for our 5 days in NY. We are looking forward to the Casabalnca Hotel and all that we have planned. I'll post when we get back on Sunday.

KathiB

Pam,

Give Kathi time to upack! :D

But as soon as you do Kathi, inquiring minds want to know....

Wheredja' eat? Walk? Shop? :)

We had a week of glorious beautiful sunshine and warm temperatures right between bouts of rain and cold. I hope you were here in the middle of this "weather sandwich"!

Jane

Ok, Ok!!!

Jeez, you guys are tough!!! We got home yesterday and no, I haven't finished unpacking and I am not much of one for detailed reviews but I will share somewhat of a review since you helpful people on these boards are amazing and we must keep the goodwill flowing!

First I must backtrack...we were to leave Tues. morning, right? So Sunday morning, Easter Sunday, 3:00am, my 15 year old daughter wakes up with a bad case of the "stomach flu" (I will spare you the gory details). All plans for Easter are scraped as she is sick all day with a fever and afore mentioned troubles. She is sick but slowly getting better each day so we go ahead and leave as planned on Tues. So although she is better, the first few days we were all a bit low energy and not really interested in food (what a bummer!). So keeping this in mind I will give you a recap.

First of all the hotel. The Casablanca Hotel, 147 43rd St. is a real find. It was perfect in every way. The rooms might be a bit small but they were clean with comfortable beds and also totally quiet! We were in the back of the hotel and we could make the rooms dark and completely quiet for naps or sleeping late. Never heard a sound in the hallway, on either side, above or below us. We had a 2 room suite. Bedroom with 2 double beds and living room with fold out sofa. 2 TV's and a nice bathroom. The staff was very helpful at all hours of the day or night. The best part of the hotel is the 2nd floor lounge, Rick's Cafe. Free breakfast, snacks and good coffee all day long, free wine and cheese and snacks every evening. Big but cosy comfortable room with couches, tables, big screen TV, piano, newpapers, guide books, computer with free use of internet, etc. really what you would find at a B&B. Great place to meet others and chat about your day. Our teens enjoyed having a place to hang out away from us. This hotel is one block form the center of Times Square but is an absolute oasis. Times Square is not my favorite place but it would be hard to ever stay anywhere else.

Wed: Got up late. Walked up 5th Ave. Visited St Patrick's cathedral. Got to Rockafeller center early for our NBC Studio tour so went to the "Top of the Rock". It's the observation deck on the top of Rock. center. Views are just as good as Emp. St. Bldg. and is is less crowded and very nice. It was a glorious day and we really enjoyed the amazing view. Did the NBC studio tour which was interesting but after living in LA it was not that big of a deal. We were going to do a 4:00 Circle line tour that afternoon but didn't feel up to it so we cabbed it up to the upper west side to a fave restaurant, "Sarabeth's Kitchen" for a late lunch. After that we walked to Central park and spent about 3 hours strolling, napping on the great lawn and people watching. The weather was unbelievably beautiful. It was the best day I've ever had in Central Park. We took a subway back to our hotel and since we were all exhausted we skipped dinner and watched TV and movies in our room and were asleep by 9:00pm!

Thurs: This was David's day at the International Auto show and the girl's big shoppng day. My daughter's friend was on a mission to find her prom dress. I wasn't looking forward to this as I am not a shopper and looking for a dress with my daughter is always a marathon. I decided to take a cab to Bloomingdales as a cab for 3 or 4 isn't much more than the subway and my daughter still wasn't feeling 100%. I still can't believe it but Danielle found her dress in the first 15 minutes at Bloomingdales! The best part is that I picked it out! We were all looking and I saw this dress, showed it to her and she actually liked it. It was the only dress she tried on! So we were done with our first task at 11:30 am! Of course we had to continue shopping as I had promised the girls. Besides Bloomingdales we went to H&M and Zaras. Had a quick lunch at Food Exchange and headed back to the hotel by 3:00.

Had dinner at Becco on 46th St. Had made the res. one month in advance. It was very good but unfortunately except for my husband none of us really felt like eating. I was really looking forward to this meal but only ate about 1/4 of my entree. We'll just have to go back! Then we saw Spam-A-Lot. I had purchased these tickets well in advance through a ticket broker and we had great seats. The show was fantastic. We all loved it. I would highly recommend it if you like Monty Python and politically incorrect humor!

Fri: Our Statue of Liberty day. We had reserved timed entry tickets that would allow us to go into the statue and get a tour. It is free but you must get these tickets online in advance. I purchased ferry tickets online at the same time. It was very crowded. We got in line for the ferry at 10:45am and got on the ferry at 12:25pm. Our tickets for the monument allowed us to enter anytime between 12:45 and 3:30. Plan ahead and get there early! The last time we were in NY was 2002 and you could not go in the statue so it was great to go in this time. The weather was still gorgeous but a cool wind was staring to blow (a taste of what was to come!).

That evening we went to a Yankees game. Rode the subway with the rest of the fans. Had pretty good seats I had purchased in advance through an online service. We are SF Giants season ticket holders here in SF so we enjoy going to games. The Yankees fans are really something. We really enjoyed their enthusiasm! Alas, the Yankees lost.

Sat: My daughter, Kristen, had made a friend last summer at a camp and so this girl and her mother took a train from Albany that morning so the girls could spend the day together. The mother had tickets to a play for herself and after visiting for a while in our nice hotel lounge we all took off. This was our day to visit SOHO and Greenwich Village. Well, it was cold and raining but we took a subway to NYU, walked around, did some browsing/shopping, had lunch at John's Pizzaria on Bleeker street and then took a subway back to the hotel where we met the friend's mom. We relaxed in our room, did some packing, hung out in the lounge and thought about what to do. It was raining out and very cold so walking around Times Square was not too appealing (it's not too appealing in good weather either!). So we decided to see a movie. Saw American Dreamz which is a parody of American Idol. Also very politically incorrect so I enjoyed it! Got back to the hotel and the girls went up to the room. Since we had skipped dinner again my husband and I went to check out the restaurant attatched to our hotel, Tony's de Napoli. I had a very good ceasar salad at the bar and was sorry we hadn't checked this place out earlier. It was charming, crowded, loud, fun and looked to have great food. We'll have to go back!

We had a 4:15 am wake up call and Carmel car service coming at 5:00am so we went to bed. Sunday morning traffic was light and we got to the Airport (La Guardia) in 20 minutes! Got home without any mishaps by 4:00pm our time

We had a great time. I wish we had all been feeling better so we would have had more energy and could have enjoyed the food more. We had done the museums on a previous trip but I would have enjoyed going again but with 2 teen age girls I think we choose the right things. I would prefer an upper west side or central park hotel location but for the girls this was perfect and I really like our hotel so we would probably go back for all of it's many amenities. The highlight for me was the show but I am a theater person so I could go to a show every night. I know I said I don't do reviews and now you can see why...I ramble something awful!!!

Thanks again to Jane and others who posted suggestions and let me know if you have any questions. Now can I please go finish my unpacking?

Kathi

PS: We leave for our RCI Med. cruise on the Brilliance in less than two months...no, I will not be writing a review, it would be 15 pages long!!!!:)

Pam,

Thanks for taking the time to read my longwinded review! I know you will enjoy the hotel. Let us know how your trip goes!

Kathi

Archived