Cruise Critic Virtual! We Need You....

Hello....

I am heading to New Zealand/Australia at the end of the month to sail a New Zealand-Australia cruise on Holland America's Statendam. We are going to be featuring the trip as a virtual cruise (you know, day by day reports that run on the home page).

I'd love to ask y'all if you have suggestions, wishes, whatever for me to cover while there...it's my first trip. We start with a couple of days pre-cruise in Auckland, then Christchurch, and wind up in Sydney.

Thanks! Write 'em here or drop me a note at editor@cruisecritic.com.

Look forward to hearing from you :))

Best,

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

Thanks for asking Carolyn. Since we will be heading to for Aukland on Feb. 9, we will be anxiously awaiting your posts. I want to hear of any must sees you go to that we might be able to squeeze into our tight schedule. What excursions are you planning to do in the various ports?

It looks like we are on the Statendam right after you, leaving Sydney on Feb 4 and heading to Auckland. There is at least one HAL CC board regular on your cruise (username PRINSENDAM) (he is in the suite next door to ours). I'll read as much as I can before heading off to Australia myself!

The area I'd like to see more on is reviews of the ports. There have been many helpful posts on what to do, but few reviews of what people actually liked or did not like. Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland, and Wellington are well known -- so the ones I would have liked more info on are the smaller towns such as Burnie, Dunedin, Picton, Napier, and Tauranga. Maybe even eventually provide port briefs in the Destination section like CC has for Caribbean ports? I have booked small tours with local guides in most of these ports based off internet research and email discussions with the guides, so I will provide feedback when I get home in late February.

Have fun, and looking forward to your report!

MVPinBoynton, will you overnight in Auckland before you board? Where will you stay and how long will you be in the city? Any thoughts about what you want to see? I'd love to know -- That's the only port I've had time yet to research! Happy to share what I've picked up but again, it's not based on experience...yet.

Actually, I forgot to give you the ports. I'm boarding the ship midway through the cruise, an Auckland-Sydney trip, in Christchurch (but we're going to fly into Auckland and spend some time there -- and out in its wine country regions). Then we fly to Christchurch, overnight there, and then board. Ports on my segment of the trip are: Dunedin, Fjordland National Park, Burnie (Australia), Melbourne and Sydney. At the very least there will be port info in the virtual (which will be published when I return) -- particularly on Dunedin, Burnie, and Melbourne and I definitely plan to write an Auckland port profile (we already have Sydney).

I'm investigating shore excursion options this evening. Anybody have a recommendation (for or against, LOL)?

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

I looked up your cruise and found that you are on the 1-21 cruise. You have more stops in NZ than the Diamond and you don't stop in Tasmania. It looks like you should have a nice cruise. We met a lovely couple from the Aukland area when we were on the Tahitian Princess last February. They have offered to take us around and show us the sights, so I really don't know where we are going. I wish I could make recommendations for you, but since this is our first time down under, our opinion probably doesn't mean much. We will be doing a review when we return that will hopefully be of some help to future travelers.

Here's my plans:

Dunedin - I have booked with D-Tours for an Otago Peninsula/City tour. I have also heard good comments about Arthur's and the train ride offered through the cruise line (the train comes right to the pier). The HAL excursions in New Zealand are unusually expensive so I have focused on private operators that are typically 50% or more cheaper with more personalized service.

Burnie - I am scratching my head on this port, and am a little grumpy that HAL couldn't have brought us to Hobart instead (like Princess does). Burnie's claim to fame is a large paper mill (tours are offered!). I have not found any private tour operators in this area; perhaps there will be some at the pier. Perhaps a bus will be provided into the town since the ship docks at an industrial port. There is very little information.

Melbourne - The city tram (trolley to Americans) comes right to the pier, and takes you directly into the Melbourne Central Business District for history, museums, shopping, gardens, neighborhoods, and more. We are going to buy a day pass for the tram. The city tourism board offers pamphlets for several self guided walking tours.

Too bad you are missing Picton, Napier, and Tauranga. I think those will be some of my favorites because we like outdoorsy stuff and architecture.

Burnie - I am scratching my head on this port, and am a little grumpy that HAL couldn't have brought us to Hobart instead (like Princess does). Burnie's claim to fame is a large paper mill (tours are offered!). I have not found any private tour operators in this area; perhaps there will be some at the pier. Perhaps a bus will be provided into the town since the ship docks at an industrial port. There is very little information.

Too bad you are missing Picton, Napier, and Tauranga. I think those will be some of my favorites because we like outdoorsy stuff and architecture.

We are just back from the Nz/Au Statendam Xmas cruise.

Stebul.......

You will still be scratching your head after visiting Burnie.There is not a lot there and most passengers were asking why not Hobart? The only answer we got was that Hobart would have required another day.However the people of Burnie are very friendly and can't do enough to help you,it is just a shame that they ran out of taxis and coaches to cope with the numbers on the ship.We ended up doing the 1 hour hop on hop off bus trip,which stops at the paper factory,the cheese factory,the Rhododendren gardens and the the local woodcarving shop,but no one got off or on.

The other claim to fame is a huge pile of wood chips ready to be made into paper and the ship docks right along side.The buffet was rather crowded for lunch that day.

The other 3 you mention are great.

Tauranga for trips to Rotorua etc,or just walking around the delightful shopping precint,or taking a walk around the base of Mount Maunganui.

Napier is a delight.Art Deco buildings and must see's are Te Mata Peak lookout for spectacular views and the Mission Vineyard,(even if you are not into wine the setting is beautiful).

Picton.The scenic cruising of the Marlborough Sounds is wonderful and the short time in Picton is just enough to wander around another delightful town with great shopping and galleries.It is the South Island entry point for the Inter Island ferries and so the shops can cater to tourist's year round.

The other ports are just as great.

As for Burnie.......well at least you can say you have been there.

(and yes, I originate from south of the Mason Dixon line so forgive me). Appreciate the insights from those who've been there and proverbially done that (and those who haven't yet -- well maybe I'll feel like an expert, LOL). It does seem like Burnie is the place for me to have my nervous breakdown. That's a joke of course...but I still think there's plenty on the itinerary....

Best,

Carolyn

. I'm boarding the ship midway through the cruise, an Auckland-Sydney trip, in Christchurch (but we're going to fly into Auckland and spend some time there -- and out in its wine country regions).

You are in for a great trip Carolyn,on a great ship.

There are a couple of wine regions around Auckland,which one will you be visiting?

David.

Okay, here's what I'm thinking (and open to any recommendations!) -- thanks, Stebul, for sharing yours.

Dunedin -- Should we do the Otago Coastal Scene or the Taieri Gorge Railway? Totally torn....

Burnie -- what about the caves? Or the wood chopping place?

Melbourne -- was thinking about signing up for the ship's city tour and then figuring out from that what we want to explore more indepth and on foot.

Help!

(and thanks)

Carolyn

Hi, Kiwi Kruzer. The wine touring aspect is actually vacation (though you never know, I might find a way to work it into the virtual). We're going to Pokeno (my husband loved it there) and also hopefully to Waiheke Island. Are we missing something we shouldn't?

We tried to book an inn on Waiheke but everything seems to be booked....

Carolyn

Carolyn,

I was thinking about the cave tour in Burnie as well, but alas when I finally got around to pre-booking it via the HAL shorex website a few weeks ago (5 weeks before the cruise) it was already sold out! So I am waitlisted.

Steve

Carolyn,

In Dunedin we are doing the Otago Peninsula to see the Albatross Colony, Penguin Place and Larnach Castle. The Taori Train was tempting, but since we are doing the Tranzalpine in Christchurch, we didn't want to OD on trains. We are also doing the Puffing Billy Train along with some other stops in Melbourne.

When can we expect to see your review?

Appreciate the suggestions -- looks like the cave in Burnie is out.

MVPinBoynton -- we're still playing with scheduling. Originally it was going to (the virtual I mean) run from the ship and still might -- but we've just committed to doing a virtual from a cruise with Good Morning America which is the next week. And we have one going now (on the Middle East). We're worried about virtual overdose!

My inclination though is to do it from the ship....We'll see.

Carolyn

Hi, Kiwi Kruzer. The wine touring aspect is actually vacation (though you never know, I might find a way to work it into the virtual). We're going to Pokeno (my husband loved it there) and also hopefully to Waiheke Island. Are we missing something we shouldn't?

We tried to book an inn on Waiheke but everything seems to be booked....

Carolyn

Waiheke is very pretty, walkable from the ferry terminal, but there are buses and taxis there as well. If you have time, try to spend a little time in Devonport, as well. It is a really pretty town reachable by ferry from the Auckland ferry terminal. Some of the Waiheke ferries go by way of Devonport as well.

The Maritime Museum in Auckland is worth a look, and the War Memorial Museum and Auckland Cathedral in the Parnell Village area are both things I'd suggest you see.

There are so many good restaurants in the Viaduct, Parnell, and Ponsonby areas that it is hard to go wrong.

Carolyn,

In Dunedin we are doing the Otago Peninsula to see the Albatross Colony, Penguin Place and Larnach Castle. The Taori Train was tempting, but since we are doing the Tranzalpine in Christchurch, we didn't want to OD on trains. We are also doing the Puffing Billy Train along with some other stops in Melbourne.

When can we expect to see your review?

Mike,

Just so you know, in case anyone in your party has a tendency to motion sickness or acrophobia, the road out to the yellow eye penguin/albatross colony is a long twisty one that skirts the cliffs - and the colonies are on farm land and there's a lot of walking involved.

MVPinBoynton, will you overnight in Auckland before you board? Where will you stay and how long will you be in the city? Any thoughts about what you want to see? I'd love to know -- That's the only port I've had time yet to research! Happy to share what I've picked up but again, it's not based on experience...yet.

Actually, I forgot to give you the ports. I'm boarding the ship midway through the cruise, an Auckland-Sydney trip, in Christchurch (but we're going to fly into Auckland and spend some time there -- and out in its wine country regions). Then we fly to Christchurch, overnight there, and then board. Ports on my segment of the trip are: Dunedin, Fjordland National Park, Burnie (Australia), Melbourne and Sydney. At the very least there will be port info in the virtual (which will be published when I return) -- particularly on Dunedin, Burnie, and Melbourne and I definitely plan to write an Auckland port profile (we already have Sydney).

I'm investigating shore excursion options this evening. Anybody have a recommendation (for or against, LOL)?

Carolyn

Carolyn,

We haven't cruised New Zealand, but have spent a couple of months there on road trips. We loved the Crowne Plaza in Auckland. If you aren't in their "club" - Priority - join, and you'll get on the club floor which offers breakfast buffet and evening cocktails. Very nice. The Waiheke Island, Devonport ferries are fun to do, but you can also manage day trips out to the Coromandel and into the edges of the Bay of Islands, or take one of the boat tours up to the Bay of Islands. In Auckland proper, the Maritime Museum, Auckland War Memorial, Auckland Cathedral, Parnell Village, and Kelly Tarlton's are all worthwhile. Best restaurants are in the Viaduct, Parnell, and Ponsonby. Sky City is worth a visit at night - you have to pay to go up to the top, but the view of the city is spectacular. There are also bungee jumps from the tower during the day if you are so inclined, and a somewhat tamer "reverse" bungee thing in a seated configuration just down the block near the Crowne Plaza. There are also a number of water-based excursions of various kinds - sailing vessels, whale and dolphin watch/swim, etc. including an excursion on an America's Cup class boat.

Transportation couldn't be easier - there's a free "city circuit" bus (most of them are red, but some of the "regular" Link buses sometime do the route, so ask if you aren't sure) and the fare for the full service buses isn't very much. You can get anywhere in the city and well out into the suburbs on the buses, which are clean and safe and well used. The ferries go out into the islands and peninsulas around the harbor and up into the Bay of Islands and there are a couple of uninhabited nature preserve islands offering walks, as well.

Dunedin is a pretty university town and the Otago peninsula is beautiful. The castle/penguin/albatross thing is probably a good "only here for a day" choice.

Christchurch is beautiful, very English looking, with a gorgeous park running along the river (called the Avon!) and punters available for hire. The Cathedral, the art museum, and the botanical gardens are all good to visit. If you have the time for an all day trip, the train to Arthurs Pass and back, and a day hike are great to do there. The city circuit buses take you around the CBD for free (a great New Zealand practice!) and there is a narrated (paid) trolley that goes along approximately the same route. Our favorite restaurant there was a place called the Coyote. It's a chain, but that particular one was really outstanding. There are a lot of restaurants in the same area, and a thriving cafe zone along New Regent Street.

Fjiordland would be just scenic cruising, I'd expect, and it is spectacular. Milford Sound is otherworldly, it is so beautiful. Hundreds of waterfalls, beautiful little coves tucked here and there - quite amazing. Chilly, though, and inclined towards mists, maybe from the glaciers. Make sure to have a waterproof jacket. Gloves aren't a bad idea, either.

New Zealand is, in general, just such a beautiful place, with the nicest, friendliest, kindest people we've ever met. It is probably our favorite place, and, I think if it were a bit warmer, we'd move there! A little chilly for our tropically thinned blood though...

Carolyn-

Any and all info would be appreciated. We go on the Holiday cruise next December - so we have alot of time to plan! We have an extra day in Auchland and three in Sydney, so info on these two cities would be helpful. Also, any impressions of the Statendam would be nice. Enjoy -as you report back to us!!! And thanks for doing this.

Archived