Freedom of the Seas - Southern Caribbean ports

lanord

We will be on FOS January 6, 2019 sailing. We're looking at excursions for each port (St. Kitts / Antigua / St. Lucia / Barbados / St. Maarten). Which of these would be more interesting to do some kind of city tour, or just walk around the town near the ship versus a beach / snorkel / sailing activity? We have narrowed down excursions to a few per port, but realized that all of them involve catamaran / snorkeling, etc. We thought it might be a good idea to mix it up a little.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! :D

We did the Coastal Cruise to the Pitons on St. Lucia a few weeks ago. We would do it again if going with a large group again.

If it was just the two of us we would grab a taxi and ask them to take us on a tour of the island.

I'm planning that coastal cruise around the pitons... how was it? what was involved?

It's a good idea to take a look at the port of call forums, which have much info on excursions:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

Thanks for the suggestion. I have already looked at each port in Ports of Call, but do need to look at it more in depth. We have not been to the West Indies before, so I'm having to sort of start from scratch. ;)

We did the Coastal Cruise to the Pitons on St. Lucia a few weeks ago. We would do it again if going with a large group again.

If it was just the two of us we would grab a taxi and ask them to take us on a tour of the island.

This is on our "narrowed down" list for St. Lucia, along with "Jeep Safari and Beach Adventure". I assume that you liked it since you said you would do it again?

I'm planning that coastal cruise around the pitons... how was it? what was involved?

We really enjoyed it. The group was manageable so there was room for everyone on the catamaran - those who wanted shade and those was wanted the sun. They took us on a leisurely cruise and explained what we were passing. To honest St. Lucia is now my favorite island out of 17 cruises - just gorgeous. Then they took us took a beach area. They backed up the catamaran and we took the steps down into the water. The beach was pretty and we saw some fish but nothing over the top. After 45 minutes we all boarded and on the way back they had some sandwiches, fruit cups, rolls and rum punch was served.

We really enjoyed it. The group was manageable so there was room for everyone on the catamaran - those who wanted shade and those was wanted the sun. They took us on a leisurely cruise and explained what we were passing. To honest St. Lucia is now my favorite island out of 17 cruises - just gorgeous. Then they took us took a beach area. They backed up the catamaran and we took the steps down into the water. The beach was pretty and we saw some fish but nothing over the top. After 45 minutes we all boarded and on the way back they had some sandwiches, fruit cups, rolls and rum punch was served.

This sounds good. I like hearing details! :D

We will be on FOS January 6, 2019 sailing. We're looking at excursions for each port (St. Kitts / Antigua / St. Lucia / Barbados / St. Maarten). Which of these would be more interesting to do some kind of city tour, or just walk around the town near the ship versus a beach / snorkel / sailing activity? We have narrowed down excursions to a few per port, but realized that all of them involve catamaran / snorkeling, etc. We thought it might be a good idea to mix it up a little.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! :D

St. Kitts also has a built-up commercial area at the port. Don't get reined in by the monkey guys, they charge for photos. If you want something off the beaten path, try Shipwreck, a beach bar but you'll have to take a cab to get there. Check out their facebook page, they almost went out of business this year (property sold by owner). It's secluded and inexpensive.

We hired a cab for a tour of Barbados, one of the nicer islands we visited.

St. Maarten has the French side, if you really want to "mix it up".

I went to St. Lucia in January - mostly nice but like a lot of the islands, there are some really poor neighborhoods and frequent hassles by panhandlers. Don't stray from the beaten paths.

Antigua - beach island.

St. Lucia is a wonderful island for many diverse excursions.

However - it has the worst roads in the Caribbean.

So if you're doing a land (road) excursion make sure you book it thru RCL - even though it will cost more.

The reason is simple - through an RCL sponsored excursion - the ship will WAIT FOR YOU !!!

On your own make sure to take your passport with you.

Roads are still under repair from hurricanes from as long as 3 years ago - detours all over the place.

Just back from the freedom.....

St Martin was a beach day - Simpson bay ~ karakter beach bar- beautiful beach - great service, drinks and food

St Kitts - Thenford Grey Nevis tour - having never been to Nevis this was a good way to see it

Antigua- private tour with kitson Howe

St Lucia- vigie beach

Barbados- silver moon catamaran - our best excursion ever. Unbelievable day

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been three times to some of these islands on cruises and love them, In Sy. Lucia I can't say enough good things about Spencer Ambrose and his crew. I've toured with them three times on their Land, Sea and Beach adventure. The highlight of the tour was the speed boat ride, lunch at the beach between the Pitons and the snorkeling at that beach, which was amazing! I did Thenford Grey's tour of St. Kitts and had mixed feelings. But to be honest, they were not because it was a bad tour but due to some similarities of the Island with some parts of Puerto Rico, where I live. To someone not used to seeing certain things, it should be great. Barbados was our full beach day and we spent it at the Boatyard twice since we like more of a party atmosphere. Harbour Lights, just down the beach has a similar setup with more relaxed vibe, although a bit more cramped spaces. But the "snorkeling with the turtles" mini tour included with the admission price to both places seems to be better (longer time, two stops) at Harbour Lights than the one we did at the Boatyard (one stop at the turtles only, felt a bit rushed).

If you want, check out my signature for links to reviews I did of my sailings. Although they were on Carnival ships, there are detailed parts for the different islands.