Grand Turk

cruisin56

One problem usually with GT is that ships usually leave the port very early. For that reason we never do excursions there so no help on that, sorry.

But GT is probably our favorite port for just chilling around the port area. Great beach, great pool area, Margaritaville and the bar/restaurant are decent. And every now and then the pop-up entertainment is off the chain lol....dance contests and whatever.... Beach area has nice shade trees and free lounge chairs, tho some are rented out by local vendors....showers for rinsing off....bathroom facilitiess are usually clean....and no sales harping like you get slammed with at a lot of ports. It can be a nice (and cheap) 2 to 4 hours just hanging out.

Add....just a warning tho, when larger ships or multiple ships dock at GT it can get really crowded.

• Like 1

Grand TURK I've only been to once and we used it as a Beach day. Loved it!

Just rent a float, bring water shoes definitely. I walked up to Jack's Shack for some Jerk Chicken, Rice and Peas Platter. Really Good! Bought it back to my seat and devoured!

The locals are on the beach. They have their own Rum Punch, beers, waters. So, we didn't have to leave our chairs for drinks and patronized them. It was also cheaper.

I bought my book and ipod.

This was a perfect day for us, I floated in the water, had a delicious Carribean lunch, had drinks, read my book and listened to my music.

If this is your thing, you don't need to pay for an excursion.

• Like 1

The first time we went to GT we rented golf carts and rode around the island. Nice to see and went to the light house at the end of the island. When you get off there is a large Margaritaville with a nice pool or there are chairs and umbrella right where you get off. A short walk down is Jacks shack where you can buy food and drinks if you prefer local businesses. They have chairs for free but you have to rent the umbrellas. If you print off their coupon you can get a free shot of rum. You can watch their dog Topher dig and run in the sand. Great beach & pool day. Have a great time. :cool:

The tram that runs around the island was tons of fun. Great to see the lighthouse, salt flats etc.

Tram sounds cool. I missed that in all my excursion shopping.

I think you can rent several types of personal transportation -- golfcarts as mentioned, also bicycles, jeeps (I think?) ... It's a small island, so no big worries about getting lost.

Grand Turk can definitely be a fun/relaxing/do-nothing beach port, so if you can't find an excursion to your liking, I'm betting you'll enjoy the stop anyway.

The cruise port:

grandTurk_subpage-header2.jpg

Some good maps (including downloadable PDFs) -- in the bottom map, note the snorkeling spots off the southern tip, very close to the Cruise "Center":

https://www.visittci.com/grand-turk/maps

Bring a CCL towel, some red solo cups, cigars, and ice from the ship. Buy a bottle of rum and a six pack of coke at the shops when you get off the ship. Go to the RIGHT as you off the pier and walk to the point. Set up the towels, mix some rum & cokes, smoke a cigar and enjoy laying on a relatively unspoiled Caribbean beach. This, in my opinion, is a lot more enjoyable than hangin' in the "approved" Carnival area, (too crowded, water not too pristine).

When you're done with that. Walk down to Jack's Shack and see "Topher, the wonder dog". Drink a couple of Turk's Head beers, have some jerk chicken....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bring a CCL towel, some red solo cups, cigars, and ice from the ship. Buy a bottle of rum and a six pack of coke at the shops when you get off the ship. Go to the RIGHT as you off the pier and walk to the point. Set up the towels, mix some rum & cokes, smoke a cigar and enjoy laying on a relatively unspoiled Caribbean beach. This, in my opinion, is a lot more enjoyable than hangin' in the "approved" Carnival area, (too crowded, water not too pristine).

When you're done with that. Walk down to Jack's Shack and see "Topher, the wonder dog". Drink a couple of Turk's Head beers, have some jerk chicken....

Are you referring to Governor's Beach....Sounds like a plan...thanks!

<snip>... Go to the RIGHT as you get off the pier and walk to the point. ... <snip>

Are you referring to Governor's Beach....Sounds like a plan...thanks!

No, I'm talking about the very southern tip of Grand Turk. Governor's Beach is 4000' north of the pier....

I'd suggest spending five minutes on Google maps and take a look at the island.

I see a lot of people talking about chairs by the pool being free but are there free chairs on the actual beach too?

Also see you on Horizon next week!

Yes. There are lots of free lounge chairs on the beach. And unless you're among the very first off of the ship, you may not be so lucky to get a chair by the pool. Those tend to fill up fairly quickly.

Yes. There are lots of free lounge chairs on the beach. And unless you're among the very first off of the ship, you may not be so lucky to get a chair by the pool. Those tend to fill up fairly quickly.

Thank you. We dock so early that I doubt I will be able to get a chair next to the pool. I’m not usually up at 6am on vacation lol.

Does anyone know if Margaritaville takes credit cards?

Just about everyone at the port takes cc's I think, but we usually go with cash....much safer all around at cruise ports. Just fyi, DH was bitten twice by cc fraud after cruises and so now we both allow paranoia to rule most of our cruise spending :)

Also fyi the port area generally does NOT feel as crowded or closed in as the pic that Moonarino posted up there may suggest, except at the bar/restaurant area....

And a lot of the free lounge chairs are in the tree shaded area, for anyone that prefers or needs shade over soaking up a tan. We never worry about taking sunscreen with us on GT unless we're in a walking mood.

• Like 1

And a lot of the free lounge chairs are in the tree shaded area, for anyone that prefers or needs shade over soaking up a tan. We never worry about taking sunscreen with us on GT unless we're in a walking mood.

Hey Jenn

Not to be a downer here, and I understand you seem to know what you are doing, but that type of thinking leads to Melanoma and early death. If you think by sitting in the shade you won't get sunburn or have the sun effect your skin, you are wrong. Take it from some one who has had 2 cases of melanoma, both caught early. I had grown up in the sun, and am paying for it now. It can, and will effect you, if not now, then later in life.

I know it may be a bother, but PLEASE, use that sunscreen anytime you are out, even in the shade or on non sunny days. Not criticizing, just trying to warn you of something I've already been thru.

Cheers

Len