Hong Kong Gold Coast Hotel

diane.in.ny

Anyone stay at this hotel?

I'm considering it for an overnight as we have to change planes/airlines on our way home and thought this would be a nice stopover.

Particularly interested in the quality of the beach. If really nice, might even consider two nights

Thanks!

Hotel is in the outer ring of Tuen Mun, one of the newer satellite N.T. cities over the last 3 decades that was once manufacturing & industrial-based. It is somewhat far from the nearest MTR and/or Light Rail Station (packed & overcrowded) for an easy/inexpensive airport transfer.

Never stayed there but it is a waterfront hotel, closer to a beach resort by most standards, and with the adjacent/connecting shopping mall complex ... has everything most travelers expected to find and use. If you get a higher floor with harborview, you can catch a nice sunset in the evening in front of your window.

Depending on your travel dates, you should come up with some fairly reasonable & attractive rates ... just to sure to add up the transfer costs by taxi to/from, airport & elsewhere. I am not sure if the nearby beaches were natural or part of the reclaimed landfill, thus an artifical one ... certainly not a popular one with locals or even visitors. Frankly, I would stick with the hotel's swimming pool and sunbath on premises.

Otherwise, you might want to look for and find something similar in the TST area, with an easy & quick connection with the Airport Express trains (be sure to check for various discounts). Hotel does offer free, scheduled shuttles to a # of nearby points - but, it's on a first-come, first-serve basis and if it is full, you cannot get on and on your own, or will be waiting another 30 minutes to 1 hour + (or, be hailing a taxi instead.)

I have been there once, many years ago, but have not stayed there. I don't think I would pick this hotel just for a one night stay if I am a traveler. Transportation is the main reason.

Yes, thank you. I did some more research and see that it is quite a distance from the airport

About 10 years ago, I lived in the same area (Gold Coast) and the hotel is about a 15 minute walk from my apartment. There is a public beach, not a large one, but not crowded. On the other side of the bay is the new Wholesale Fish Market where the fishing boats come in to unload their catches, so not the most scenic beach.

There is nothing too much near the hotel, there is a shopping mall and restaurants/bars. The hotel I believe provides a shuttle to the Tsuen Wan MTR Station which is a 30 minute journey.

The Gold Coast is on the other side of the sea channel from the airport, only about 2 miles away, but there is no direct land link (they are building a tunnel under the channel) and you have to take a U-shape route to go the airport, easily a 20 mile journey.

In my days, however, Gold Coast was where Cathay Pacific / Dragon Air put their trainee stewardess who were bussed to their training centre near the airport everyday.

About 10 years ago, I lived in the same area (Gold Coast) and the hotel is about a 15 minute walk from my apartment. There is a public beach, not a large one, but not crowded. On the other side of the bay is the new Wholesale Fish Market where the fishing boats come in to unload their catches, so not the most scenic beach.

There is nothing too much near the hotel, there is a shopping mall and restaurants/bars. The hotel I believe provides a shuttle to the Tsuen Wan MTR Station which is a 30 minute journey.

The Gold Coast is on the other side of the sea channel from the airport, only about 2 miles away, but there is no direct land link (they are building a tunnel under the channel) and you have to take a U-shape route to go the airport, easily a 20 mile journey.

In my days, however, Gold Coast was where Cathay Pacific / Dragon Air put their trainee stewardess who were bussed to their training centre near the airport everyday.

Thank you.

I think we'll be making different plans :D