formal, semi-formal or both???

AAAMom

I would say the red dress could definetly be dressed up to come up to formal with the right shoes, jewelry, hose, and hair.....

After taking a second look at the black dress.....It looks like it has a gold sweater.....I think that could also be dressed up to meet what the norm will be on most formal nights.

The formal nights on my last cruise were really anywhere from great dress to go to a very nice bridal shower/ church type dress to after 5....to ball gown....It was a good mix. So....I really think both would do fine.....

Another hint....If the sweater is dressy enoug, pair it with a pair of dark cream or black pants for a great look on one of the other nights.

chris,

actually the black dress is a satin/shiney material with a rhinestone/pearl waist broach and yes, the sweater is sparkly.

the red dress has beading on the edges.

i don't think the pictures do either dress justice.

thx

I'd say semi-formal. I have an outfit I think is probably semi-formal. I'm going on Princess and from what I understand their "smart casual" is like RCI's "casual. this dress doesn't look quite "formal" so I might just leave it home this trip:

I hope the pictures work. It's black, draped scoop neck and the embelishment is ribbons, beads and some sequins. the tiny beads accent all the edges. If it doesn't work for formal on Princess, maybe I'll just take the top and wear it with black slacks. I'm used to wearing the "ballgown" type dresses for formal nights and don't know if I'd be comfortable in this. What do you guys think?

dress.gif.14cf885839e2878f22d62fc3faac2b66.gif

dress-detail.gif.95f0352bd17d08b03480761e84bdba84.gif

They're both quite pretty and I think they would be fine for either formal or informal nights.

I had shoulder surgery in 2001 and it took a long time to fully recover, but it sure did make an improvement in my quality of life. Did you have arthroscopic or open?

AAAMom...altho not 'technically' formal, the red dress is gorgeous and with the right accessories, shoes, makeup, hair, etc. (whew..the things us girls have to go thru..:rolleyes: ) it would work beautifully for formal night on the ship.

The black dress....I wouldn't wear the 'belt'--looks too casual. Maybe use the brooch on the sweater, or ditch the sweater and wear a wonderful shawl!

Have a GREAT time and have fun.........

I am getting worried....Formal night on my last cruise was definetly not all out ball gown dinners....There were a few ladies in ball gowns and men in tuxes but the majority had after 5 attire.....I prefer the after 5 look and was planning that for my formal nights and toning it down a bit for semi formal night but after reading some of these threads I am rethinking....Maybe I should bring along a long dress....

I will be sailing on The Grand Princess in Feb....and as I said in a previous post....I am worried that I have underplanned my formal wear....My last cruise was on HAL which is typically a very dressy formal night cruise, but my above the knee black sequined dresses were more the norm in the dining room than the ball gowns....

For those of you that have cruised recently on Princess, please let me know if I should include a long dress for formal night....My dh will wear his Ralph Lauren black suit on both formal nights with a white shirt....he will change out his tie....

Technically, neither.

While I can't see the fabric, they are not formal but maybe they could pass as cocktail attire.

However, on your cruise you could certainly get away with wearing them on formal night provided you aren't on one of the more conservative cruise lines (Silverseas, Seaborne).

AAAMom, either dress would be fine for formal night on Princess or RCCL, especially if you "sparkle" the red one up (yes, that's a verb now:D ) with jewelry & shoes. They usually specify gown or cocktail dress for women. I don't have any experience with other lines, so I can't help you with them.

thanks for the input from all. we will be on rccl. the red dress has sparkle on the edges (picture doesn't show it). i do have a long skirted outfit for one night. i may wear one for another night and save one for semi-formal.

thnx again!!!!!!

Archived