"In hull" balcony cabins on QM2?

Bollinge

After 2 voyages with in-hull balconies, I would recommend a C-1 cabin (window). The hull balconies are useless. Be sure to check carefully as some of the non-balcony cabins have picture windows as opposed to portholes. Those farther forward are portholes.

After 2 voyages with in-hull balconies, I would recommend a C-1 cabin (window). The hull balconies are useless. Be sure to check carefully as some of the non-balcony cabins have picture windows as opposed to portholes. Those farther forward are portholes.

----------------------------------------------------

And why do you deem them "useless"? Inquiring minds want to know.

I am starting to have some serious doubts about this ship.

My Spouse was shocked by the dark and dingy appearance of halls and public rooms.

The hull balcony does not favorably compare with RCCL Mariner of the Seas balcony staterooms.

We have had a D1 on 5 cruises on her. I see that drawer space is nonexistant.

HAL's Rotterdam has a much more impressive appearance, and the art treasures aboard her are beyond compare.

The more I see and learn, the more concerned I am that 81 days is going be a long time.

We had a hull balcony going to the carribbean last April. We liked it, but never had had a balcony before, so that might not be an apt comparison.

The ship itself is beautiful. One of the more impressive things we found was the history of shipping and of Cunard posted at various places throughout the vessel.

The ship is huge, in 8 days we still missed a couple of places. There is a lot to do.

We have just booked an in hull balcony in the B4 category for the Sept 24th/06 westbound crossing from Southampton. I have read with interst the comments on this type of accomodation. The main reason we booked it was to get the airfare included in the booking. We have done 5 transatlantic crossings on QE2 in the past. There is not much to see on a transatlantic

and we have often taken inside cabins. This was less expensive than and inside cabin when you had to add on the airfare.

However, having said that I will try and make sure we do not get an adjoining cabin.

We have just booked an in hull balcony in the B4 category for the Sept 24th/06 westbound crossing from Southampton. I have read with interst the comments on this type of accomodation. The main reason we booked it was to get the airfare included in the booking. We have done 5 transatlantic crossings on QE2 in the past. There is not much to see on a transatlantic

and we have often taken inside cabins. This was less expensive than and inside cabin when you had to add on the airfare.

However, having said that I will try and make sure we do not get an adjoining cabin.

Can't speak for QE, but had an adjoining cabin on the QM. The only time we heard our neighbors (obstructed view balcony) was when they played their TV loudly. Other than that, not a peep. I was expecting much worse, and actually brought duct tape with me to seal off the door if necessary! It wasn't needed.

Karie, wishing I was back on the QM2, steaming southbound. (instead of in front of my space heater coughing and hacking from my cold)

We booked a B1 on the last cruise. They were doing construction on the room next to us for 4 days. Banging, ripping up carpets and moving stuff starting at 8AM every day. Finally on the fourth day they said that they were going to be doing it for a few more days so they moved us to an A1.

Also, if you dont like noise, I would not book any room on deck 6. You can hear them cleaning the decks super early and also them moving stuff around in Kings Court.

Fun Fun Fun

The A1 room was great. What a view!

Last post is ALL correct, except our cabin is facing the C stairwell, so we get the "bing bong" sound from the lifts everytime they stop at deck 6. Still having a great time and will try for an upgrade after Rio.

I've posted a panoramic view of the "hull hole" balcony taken from deck chair height, you'll need Java enabled to view the image.

http://www.jackatsea.com/hull-hole-qm2/hullhole.html

As you will see, the space is very much enclosed, but not that bad.

Cheers

Jack

Wow Jack!

Your post is fantastic. I will have to check out your complete website for your cruise. The panoramic shot of the ****ty "balcony" we have booked is marvellous.

I hope you won't be offended if I quote "The Devil makes work for idle hands". But if you are on a world cruise, what else are you supposed to do besides taking loads of pictures?

Jack, thanks for the 360 degree view of a hull balcony. We have one booked for the Western Transatlantic in August for our 35th anniversary.

As I have read this thread about a "hull" balcony" versus a "full glass balcony," I believe it is like talking about oranges and apples. I haven't sailed on the QM2 yet, but I'm glad that we have a hull balcony on deck 5 for the Transatlantic because the only thing you can see is the sea after leaving port in Southampton. But if I took a Caribbean cruise or cruised around Europe, I would want a balcony like we have had on all our other cruises that have a glass balcony. Everyone has a different opinion, but this is why we have the "Cruise Critic Board."

Once again "thanks" to Jack for the wonderful 360 degree view from a hull balcony.

Christy

Last post is ALL correct, except our cabin is facing the C stairwell, so we get the "bing bong" sound from the lifts everytime they stop at deck 6. Still having a great time and will try for an upgrade after Rio.

I've posted a panoramic view of the "hull hole" balcony taken from deck chair height, you'll need Java enabled to view the image.

http://www.jackatsea.com/hull-hole-qm2/hullhole.html

As you will see, the space is very much enclosed, but not that bad.

Cheers

Jack

Looks kind of claustrophobic! And I am NOT claustrophobic!

So Jack, I hope you will get online soon and tell us what is going on!

Hope all are okay!

Ship is not back in port yet according to someone who lives in Ft Laud.

Are you getting any more info than we are?

And as for 6 deck, I have it on good authority there were no workers there! It was the ghost! <G> (We had other friends on 6 deck who got moved also. Apparently these workers made a hell of a racket!)

Karie,

formerly from 8 deck. near enough to hear the elevator, but not the announcements, unless I opened the door! <G>

We were upgraded from obstructed view (Deck 8) to hull hole (Deck 6) on the 20 Nov 05 crossing. The cabin was fine. The door provided much more light than a porthole, and looking at the sea first thing in the morning was a delight.

Our tablemates were on Deck 11. Their main complaint was wind: they could not open their balcony door and the noise, they said, kept them awake.

Chris, in PA Wilds

• 3 months later...

Just to let you all know that we DID change from a hull balcony to a glass balcony on deck 11.

We are only going to do the World Cruise once, we have dreamed of it for many many years..this was not an area where we should pinch pennies.

For a crossing, I would prefer a hull balcony, but there are so many ports in so many countries to see, I am sure we will be happier on Deck 11. (Except maybe going around the Horn).

Thanks to all.

I think that you made the right choice, we were in 11088 and loved being so high on the ship. It was such a luxury! We enjoyed breakfast on the balcony as we viewed each new exciting port. The even numbers are portside. We faced the port at most of the islands. I've heard that is not always the case. We appreciated being a few decks above the tenders. We could look over the balcony and watch them being lowered instead of having them right above, below or in front of our balcony. We sometimes watched them being raised and rushed in time for the first seating at dinner. Choppy waters make it quite a challenge! Also, the ship sometimes crawls out of the harbor, so that other ships can catch up alongside the Queen, so that all of the passengers can take pictures of each other's ship! We enjoyed being on the 11th deck while looking at other ships. Have fun!

I've posted a panoramic view of the "hull hole" balcony taken from deck chair height

Cheers

Jack

Thanks Jack, we appreciate your posting the 360 degree view and your Jack-at-Sea web site. BTW, will you finish your web site description of your last QM2 voyage including the 'characters' you met along the way?

It is important to note that the in-hull balcony (although it is provided with two deck chairs) is not conducive for sun bathing as the the hull blocks most of the sun. (The deck chairs are mostly in continual shade).

Chris

Just checked, and sure enough, we've been allocated an adjoining cabin... NYC to LA, hope our next door neighbours are either deaf or have a sense of humour!

I know this post was a while back, but how does one ascertain if the assigned cabin has the "adjoining" door to another cabin prior to boarding the ship. I looked at the deck plans on the QM2 website but don't see how it indicates. THanks.

I know this post was a while back, but how does one ascertain if the assigned cabin has the "adjoining" door to another cabin prior to boarding the ship. I looked at the deck plans on the QM2 website but don't see how it indicates. THanks.

If you look real close at the deck plans - you can download a PDF from cunard.com and zoom in - cabins with interconnecting doors have two small arrowheads facing each other on the wall drawn between the cabins.

E.G. Check out 6186/6188.

I know this post was a while back

Yep, seems like another life.

I've just read the posts I made on jackatsea.com during the NYC - LA cruise.

My grammer and spelling was appalling.

My very best advice is to never, ever, update a blog after partaking in Long Island Iced Tea(s).

Jack

Hi Jack...from one of your loyal readers. I'm with Imacruizer...poo on spelling. It was the content, and the sense of humor that accompanied it, that made every day a treat to log on and enjoy the goings on. Got another trip planned that we can share vicariously? Hopefully one with a tad less drama?

Hope you're both fit and hardy again. Cheers, Penny

Thanks for the help, Bollinge. I did as you suggested and, thankfully, we do not have an adjoining cabin for our July crossing. Guess we can leave the duct tape at home.:)

I agree with Patwell and Imacruizer, Jack, your posts are appreciated regardless of spelling, etc.!

For those who posted here worried about the configuration of the in-hull balconies, keep in mind that on a transatlantic voyage this configuration is much better than an open balcony.

The North Atlantic can be cold into much of summer. The ocean warms up only slowly -- and also cools only slowly.

We are glad we have an in-hull balcony coming back from Southampton on 29 May since we do NOT expect it to be very hot at sea.

For those who posted here worried about the configuration of the in-hull balconies, keep in mind that on a transatlantic voyage this configuration is much better than an open balcony.

The North Atlantic can be cold into much of summer. The ocean warms up only slowly -- and also cools only slowly.

We are glad we have an in-hull balcony coming back from Southampton on 29 May since we do NOT expect it to be very hot at sea.

How about in July? Should we take sweaters, light jackets?

The sweater jacket thing applies more to going out on deck. We had in hull on recent crossing (April 15th) and was not very cold on balcony due the in hull thing. But, when we went topside, even a jacket was barely enough due to wind and sometimes light rain. But we loved it anyways, for a little bit.

Of course, there were folks jogging in the rain with shorts on, etc.

Archived