"In hull" balcony cabins on QM2?

Bollinge

We had two attached staterooms on Deck 6 with in-hull balconies and liked them so much we booked the exact same ones again for another 22 day voyage.

Did I say they were great! Views were good. Light was good. Ventilation was good. Privacy was excellent (which I doubt is as much the case with open balconies).

The only time our cabins were dark was at night or when we had the shades drawn.

When the weather was brisk, it was a REAL pleasure to be able to stay outside when the wind and weather were keeping most of the "open" balconies vacant.

As to the person who said it was dark (and "dreary", too did they say?) inside, I'd say that we were pleased as could be by the interior, did not find it dark and, in fact, found it to feel exactly as you would a SHIP at SEA.

• 2 months later...

We sailed on the QM2 in a hull balcony on a crossing last April. We were nervous at first...but it was fine. It is sheltered an either side, which was nice crossing the windy Atlantic. The balcony "wall" may be higher than a traditional wall, and it is solid, not glass (or "see thru"). There is not a window, per se, but an opening. It is a large enough opening that you still feel that you are on a balcony. So that does makes it harder to sunbath. Not a problem on a crossing. Ours had two chairs and a small round table. I would much rather have the hull balcony than just an oceanview cabin. It was very nice to sit out there in the mornings with our coffee and in the evenings with our champagne. We loved it! AND we paid for an inside and were upgraded to the balcony. Don't worry, you will love it!

As far as the ship hallways being dark? Not at all! QM2 is a magnificent ship! Absolutely beautiful! There is more space per square foot per person than any other ship afloat. It NEVER felt crowded.

My DH loved this ship so much, that it took much convincing to get him to agree to sail on a "regular" ship, the Mariner of the Seas, on October 29th. We are certainly jealous of anyone getting ready to sail on the QM2!! Bon Voyage!

I just returned from 24 days aboard the QM2 in an in-hull balcony on deck 4. I sat out most days because I was sheltered from the wind. I found the cabin to be quite light considering these balconies are not totally open as you would find up above.

Friends were up on deck 6 and they had problems several mornings with the noise from early morning joggers (6 am)on deck 7 the Promenade deck. Jogging is permitted from 8 am - 8 pm. Calls to the purser's office didn't seem to help.

Dear Patwell, Dont listen to the others. You have the most FABULOUS cabin and you wont be disappointed on the 11th deck. Its a long walk to any public areas no matter where your cabin is. I took my first trip on QM2 and had a glass balcony on deck 10.(an upgrade) I would not even consider a cabin without the glass balcony now no matter the cost. You see the ocean 24/7 while dressing, reading, napping, etc. Early am and late pm on your private deck is totally exhilerating! And for the weather issue, we went in Ernesto and was comfortable on the deck which is sheltered from wind. The rocking seemed the same everywhere aboard ship and I did not get seasick despite my usual stomach problems. Your cabin will add greatly to your experience!

I just got back from the Mediterranean Explorer and I was on Deck 5 Hull Balcony. I did not mind it at all. I did see a room with a full balcony on the higher decks and they did look smaller. Here's a photo from my balcony.67963668.jpg67963712.jpg

• 1 year later...

As to the person who said it was dark (and "dreary", too did they say?) inside, I'd say that we were pleased as could be by the interior, did not find it dark and, in fact, found it to feel exactly as you would a SHIP at SEA.

We had also similar impressions by the interior of our in-hull cabin. Actually we found it brigther than expected.

As to the 'dreary' balcony, it had great privacy and was spacious - bigger than our previous plexiglas railing balcony. And we liked having direct access to the sea below, contrary to the plexiglas balcony cabins that face the promenade below.

But it was a pity to be on a Caribbean cruise and not be able to see any sea view when sitting. We like having breakfast or drink while gazing at sea, and we really missed it.

When booking on Cunard you pay a premium compared to other cruise lines. We had booked a Superior Verandah Suite on Holland America Line, but cancelled it to book with the same price this in-hull cabin on the QM2. So, when we think about the extra price, we believe that such balconies don't suit a luxury liner as the Mary is supposed to be.

We wrote at the last day questionnaire that we had no complaint with the width of the hole in the hull, but we believed they should cut it 20 inches/50 cm towards the floor to enable sea views when sitting.

In-hull balconies are undoubtedly much better than a standard ocean view cabin, even if the window would be as large as the cut in the hull is. But lack of sea view when sitting impairs what is an otherwise nice cabin.

Archived