Dawn Repositioning Boston -San Juan and general Dawn questions

mef_57

Hi. It's been a while since cruising and usually with a group so I might not have been paying full attention ;-) Also, some rules have changed.

I have been reading up on all things 'Dawn' but would appreciate a few specifics.

I haven't cruised a 2 season itinerary before, and my cold Alaska cruise was on a ship with solariums and covered pools.

So, what can you do on the outside decks during the first 3 day transits as the pool isn't heated? I realize, walking, running, shuffleboard. Do they open the hot tubs?

I heard that deck 7 port and starboard promenades are relatively covered and quiet. Do they set up loungers there for folks wanting to just read or commune with the sea? (I am thinking it is too much to ask for deck blankets a la the first Cunards). I have a balcony but depending on which deck, it might have more ocean spray that doesn't allow for sitting out there; so looking for other deck options that don't require a down coat or full rain gear.

Does anyone know when we typically start to get warmer waters and temps? We depart at 4pm and have a further 3 days at sea before docking in USVIs.

Luggage at embarkation- I used to use a big suitcase and hand it over to the porter service. I am taking carry on only this trip and have a 10:30 embarkation time. Will I need to take it with me until the room is ready, or can I pop it into the room closet and then head out until the room is ready?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Once off the Carolina coast things start warming up .If I remember ,it's in the afternoon on day 2 . Although I've never done it ,I believe there is a place to check your carry on once onboard until your stateroom is ready . Usually the doors to the staterooms are closed until the rooms are ready . There are loungers on deck 7 . I've never encountered a problem with spray on the balcony so you might check that out .

Weather is so variable you can’t know for sure what to expect. There are some dire hards using hot tubs on first day. Usually a light wind breaker, sweet shirt should be fine and can be removed if too warm. Nice to just sit out on deck and enjoy a cocktail or 2 taking in the scene. Don’t forget to make your speciality dinner reservations when you first board if you didn’t do so prior

Thanks for the replies. If I can just dump the roller bag somewhere until 3, that would be enough. I'll be in Boston the night before, so can rearrange my luggage to a day bag and suitcase. There are the 2 bottles of wine to contend with, but I'll try to transfer those to them suitcase and unzip the expansion part.

Oh, is there a size limit for carry on? Can an expanded 22 inch fit through the scanner?

I was on one ship with balcony and we really couldn't use it while underway and there was rare down time as it was a group tour. It was on Deck 8, which I know Dawn also assigns for balconies. Ship was Costa similar size. This is a solo for R&R, so if I can use my personal balcony, that would be great. It is a BX, so I won't know where it is until just before.

Coming from Ottawa in late Autumn usually means layers anyway, so should be good.

I am only interested in one specialty dining area, but I will try to book it prior. It can be my birthday dinner.

Thanks.

For the first couple of sea days it will most likely be cool, then it will warm up nicely. Afternoons can get warm. I live in New England and will be on the cruise prior to yours. Early November can be very nice and warm as sea temps stay high. Deck 7 on the Dawn has very few deck chairs, I have been on her over 10 times and have never seen more than 6, mostly keep clear for walkers. I recommend that you just check you luggage with a porter and put the wine in a carry on, you need to pay corkage fee for each bottle. You will be fine on the balcony. Don't worry be happy and have a great cruisr

Thanks dcruiser50. Thanks for the reassurances. I realize I need to pay corkage, but was hoping I wouldn't have to carry them around for 4 hours. I tend to use that time to figure out all the routes to my (soon to be) fave places. Maybe someone else will pipe in about the storage option....or can I wrap in bubble wrap and keep in the suitcase for porter. I don't care if I get called to the naughty room to pay corkage.

I am very excited to do this cruise and however I muddle aboard, I will have a great cruise. Thanks.