Full Suite embarkation Day

Gracie115

I fully agree with what you posted. As a wife of a 73 year old cancer patient who can stand and walk a bit but cannot walk distances or go up stairs or hills well, I appreciate the assistance given and most the time I am walk/running behind the pushers because they just grab and go with the wheelchair. :-)

We have gotten looks and sneers because my husband looks normal except he is now all of 115 Lbs. I really do not care. I will do what ever it takes to make sure he has an enjoyable cruise and if someone has a problem or wonders about it then just come up and politely ask. I will graciously tell you why he is in a wheelchair.

Thanks for your story. You obviously "get it." If you think a 73 year old gets looks, try a 27 year old! And what people don't see is that if she walks on an excursion, she'll likely be totally in bed the next day. That's actually why we did a B2B--so she could visit each port, but we knew she couldn't do excursions 3 days in a row.

We've also found that Princess has some of the most rude cruisers when it comes to elevators. We actually had a situation after the muster drill where people insisted that there was no room for her and her walker after they had rushed around her to get into the elevator. High praise for the LOUD voice from the back of the elevator who declared that if there was no room, the complainers needed to get off and allow the person who needed to ride to get on. Funny thing--no one got off, and we did get on. Even on Disney, most of the time the parents insist that their children move over to make room. I would have thought that adults on Princess would be better behaved. Perhaps they were too eager to get to the alcohol.

I fully agree with what you posted. As a wife of a 73 year old cancer patient who can stand and walk a bit but cannot walk distances or go up stairs or hills well, I appreciate the assistance given and most the time I am walk/running behind the pushers because they just grab and go with the wheelchair. :-)

We have gotten looks and sneers because my husband looks normal except he is now all of 115 Lbs. I really do not care. I will do what ever it takes to make sure he has an enjoyable cruise and if someone has a problem or wonders about it then just come up and politely ask. I will graciously tell you why he is in a wheelchair.

It is sad people take advantage and try to use handicap to get on sooner and then those who need it are, well out of luck. This happened one time on Princess. They told us they would provide a chair. Then we got to the port and there were no chairs. We had to actually carry my mom, who has co PD and heart conditions. Security saw that and had a chair brought to us. I was actually in tears when in the buffet we saw people getting out of their wheelchairs and running to the buffet. The crew said they call this the miraculous healing and it happens all the time.

Just not his, but people do not get out of the elevator to let a wheelchair in, even though they are young and capable of going down one flight.

Now I am saddened as my mom is no longer with us; however, in her memory when that elevator opens, I am the one asking someone to get off to let the person in a wheelchair in. We all are going to be there someday.

Please be careful about judging the "miraculous healings." Yes, I know there are people who cheat. But there are also people who can walk short distances. For instance, my daughter can walk the distance of the buffet line, particularly if it were a line where you pushed a tray down something you could lean on. But she couldn't walk from her cabin to the buffet without assist devices. She doesn't wear her braces in her apartment, but she can't go to the mail box without them.

Needing a wheelchair to board is completely different than the distances or stairs that some people can handle. To make it really funny, when boarding, she will be in a wheelchair and I will be pushing her walker. So once she is on board and out of the chair, I'll be the one who is "miraculously healed."

Thank you for helping with elevator availability.

Please be careful about judging the "miraculous healings." Yes' date=' I know there are people who cheat. But there are also people who can walk short distances. For instance, my daughter can walk the distance of the buffet line, particularly if it were a line where you pushed a tray down something you could lean on. But she couldn't walk from her cabin to the buffet without assist devices. She doesn't wear her braces in her apartment, but she can't go to the mail box without them.

Needing a wheelchair to board is completely different than the distances or stairs that some people can handle. To make it really funny, when boarding, she will be in a wheelchair and I will be pushing her walker. So once she is on board and out of the chair, I'll be the one who is "miraculously healed."

Thank you for helping with elevator availability.[/quote']

My comment did not mean to offend you. My brother has heart problems...goes to Lowes and asks for help to load...the kid tells him you look like you could load yourself...I know all about sometimes things don't look like they seem.

However, there are those you see around the ship NEVER needing a wheelchair and seeing them all over doing stairs and walking the track doing miles, dancing, etc.

We have to laugh, we did B2B and this couple pushed through everyone and had to be the first back on the ship...they got stopped by customs...everyone laughed so hard....you are on vacation. What is the difference if you are 10 minutes behind someone else? Really....take a chill pill.

Lots of love to you livestocruise. You do not have to justify yourself to those people who give you "looks and sneers". What you are doing as you help your husband fight his fight is far more important and a much more worthwhile use of your energy. God speed to you both.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

I can’t remember the Princess ship but about 5 years ago I was sitting by the pool in the sun and a middle aged lady was next to me crying. I asked her what was wrong and she said her husband was sick in their stateroom dying of lung cancer. They had decided on their cruise before he died. I asked her if she was aware there was a medical center and doctors on board. She said no she didn’t know that, thanked me, and immediately left to get the doctor to see her husband. She was so relieved. I say this not to be bleak but people cruise for all kinds of reasons. If she would’ve asked me in advance I would’ve probably told her that a cruise was not a good idea for somebody that was dying. Unfortunately I did not see the woman again and do not know how the story ended. Just a reminder that people cruise for all kinds of reasons. Some are happy; some sad. Some have cruised 50 times and for others the cruise they are on is their first. Some are sick, some are dying, and some of us are healthy! The point to this thread should there be an easy way for the sick and dying to get on.....how do we know. If the authorities knew how sick the gentleman was they probably would not let him board. Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by bobby3334

Lots of love to you livestocruise. You do not have to justify yourself to those people who give you "looks and sneers". What you are doing as you help your husband fight his fight is far more important and a much more worthwhile use of your energy. God speed to you both.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

Thank you for your love and kindness. It is truly appreciated.

My husband and I have been cruising for over 20 years. It has been and still is our happy place and where we can forget our new normalcy of doctors and infusions and more doctors, if only for 7 days. As a number of posters have said, people cruise for many reasons and each of them are valid.

I do want to say that most of the people we have interactions with on cruise ships have been wonderful, polite, caring and courteous, it is just those few that sadly stand out.

Just a quick heads up for those apparently healthy people who don't get out of the lift/elevator for wheelchair users, they may well have health issues of their own.

I look healthy and for much of the time am OK but sometimes I'm struggling, especially if I have had to stand for a while (autostatic intolerance) so I would find it hard to wait for the next lift. No I would never push in but I wouldn't get out to let a wheelchair user take my place.