Arriving EWR on October 20, 2018 and leaving on Summit on Oct 21 visiting SOL

TOCruisers

Thank you for all the information that kind posters are providing. Very helpful.

First timer in Newark, Bayonne and Celebrity so decided to go a day early as I had an extremely loooooong and frustrated wait at YYZ Toronto airport for immigration in Feb 2018 (cruise out of FLL), almost missed a flight (actually missed the departure time but the airplane was waiting for other passengers as well and made it on the flight - never happened before but...... )

Only place we (2 seniors) are thinking to go this time is the Statue of Liberty. Crown tickets are all gone but Pedestal tickets are still available. By reading this board, I narrowed down to Embassy Hotel/(Country Inn - good price at the moment) or Hilton Pen Station. We have not booked a flight but are thinking about early arrival, say 10:30 am from YTD (but need to clear Customs in EWR :().

1. Assuming that we go to the SOL on 20th right after leaving the luggage at a hotel, is this doable? The last available ticket for Pedestal is 1:00.

2. Are the costs of taxi to the Bayonne and to the SOL about the same (25 mins +-)? Both cases do we need to pay toll charges? If so roughly how much ? I recalled something about $15-$17 but was that to the NYC downtown?

3. Are there reasonable restaurants near by for these areas? I have read so many threads and cannot remember.

4. If No. 1 is too tight, can we go to downtown on PATH from Embassy Hotel/Country Inn in case SOL plan does not work out? I know we could go back to EWR Airport by the shuttle then take the train, but that sounds like too much work.

5. The first ticket on 21st is 9:00. I think this will be tighter than No. 1 unless we can drop off the luggage at the port early.

6. Is Oct 20th the last weekend of transit closure? In case we want to come back from New York side.

Any other tips and suggestion are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for all the information that kind posters are providing. Very helpful.

First timer in Newark, Bayonne and Celebrity so decided to go a day early as I had an extremely loooooong and frustrated wait at YYZ Toronto airport for immigration in Feb 2018 (cruise out of FLL), almost missed a flight (actually missed the departure time but the airplane was waiting for other passengers as well and made it on the flight - never happened before but...... )

Only place we (2 seniors) are thinking to go this time is the Statue of Liberty. Crown tickets are all gone but Pedestal tickets are still available. By reading this board, I narrowed down to Embassy Hotel/(Country Inn - good price at the moment) or Hilton Pen Station. We have not booked a flight but are thinking about early arrival, say 10:30 am from YTD (but need to clear Customs in EWR :().

1. Assuming that we go to the SOL on 20th right after leaving the luggage at a hotel, is this doable? The last available ticket for Pedestal is 1:00.

2. Are the costs of taxi to the Bayonne and to the SOL about the same (25 mins +-)? Both cases do we need to pay toll charges? If so roughly how much ? I recalled something about $15-$17 but was that to the NYC downtown?

3. Are there reasonable restaurants near by for these areas? I have read so many threads and cannot remember.

4. If No. 1 is too tight, can we go to downtown on PATH from Embassy Hotel/Country Inn in case SOL plan does not work out? I know we could go back to EWR Airport by the shuttle then take the train, but that sounds like too much work.

5. The first ticket on 21st is 9:00. I think this will be tighter than No. 1 unless we can drop off the luggage at the port early.

6. Is Oct 20th the last weekend of transit closure? In case we want to come back from New York side.

Any other tips and suggestion are greatly appreciated.

The ticket time is the time you need to enter the security facility. Assuming your flight is on time and customs & immigration aren't insane, 1:00 pm on Sat should work from NJ, not NY.

At the airport I'd go with Embassy Suites. Country Inns has been under construction. The Hilton is is downtown Newark. Another option is staying in Jersey City. Lastminutetravel.com has Residence Inn (a new hotel) for $173 plus tax. I'm staying there in Feb. It's right at the Grove St PATH stop.

Can you use Uber? If you want to come back from NY, I'd take PATH to Exchange Place and Uber to your airport hotel or just PATH to your Jersey City hotel.

PATH between Newark and World Trade is not affected by the planned service interruptions.

Thank you mjkacmom and 138east for the reply.

Yes I was thinking from NJ not from NY. My NY reference may have confused you but I thought we could get off the NJ cruise at Battery Park, which was not the case.

Residence Inn seems to be a good choice although no airport shuttle. Do you know if there are reasonable and safe distance restaurants around it? If we can get an early flight, we may go to a hotel from EWR, dropped off the luggage then proceed to the NJ Liberty State Park. Because the schedule is tight we would not be able to use the free shuttle to the hotel any way.

We have never used the Uber but may try it in town to practice. Thank you again.

Thank you mjkacmom and 138east for the reply.

Yes I was thinking from NJ not from NY. My NY reference may have confused you but I thought we could get off the NJ cruise at Battery Park, which was not the case.

Residence Inn seems to be a good choice although no airport shuttle. Do you know if there are reasonable and safe distance restaurants around it? If we can get an early flight, we may go to a hotel from EWR, dropped off the luggage then proceed to the NJ Liberty State Park. Because the schedule is tight we would not be able to use the free shuttle to the hotel any way.

We have never used the Uber but may try it in town to practice. Thank you again.

IMO there is light years of difference between staying at an EWR hotel vs Jersey City. As you point out you are tight on time and really can't afford to fuss with getting to the P4 Airtrain station to connect with a "free" hotel shuttle. By the time you do that, you can be in Jersey City. There are lots of restaurant choices in the Downtown and Newport areas - https://www.opentable.com/landmark/restaurants-near-the-westin-jersey-city-newport

PATH is at your fingertips at Residence Inn. If you don't feel comfortable walking, you can take the WTC PATH 1 stop to Exchange Place to enjoy the Waterfront Boardwalk by the Hyatt or take the 33rd St PATH 1 stop to Newport for other restaurants, the Newport Mall, and more waterfront views. Should you decide to return to Manhattan from the SOL (you can leave from NJ and return to Battery Park), it's a quick 2 stop PATH ride from WTC.

We actually lived near Grove St for 5 years a long time ago. I am amazed and thrilled about all the changes in recent years and am looking forward to staying at RI in Feb.

Another thought - be sure you will meet the security requirements for the SOL. https://www.nps.gov/stli/planyourvisit/safety.htm

There is no locker storage. No luggage, large parcels, etc.

• LARGE packages. Suitcases, carry-on luggage and other large parcels will not be permitted on the ferry systems or at Liberty and Ellis Islands.

138East,

Thank you for additional info. Also thank you for the reminder about Opentable. I do use the opentable app so I could look into the restaurants before we leave. Did not think of that.

I already booked Resident Inn Jersey City last night as other sites including the own hotel home site charge much more than the site you mentioned. Close to EWR, the Bayonne, Liberty Park and Path (in case we don't make 1 o'clock cruise) with good breakfast and reviews, this hotel seem to be the best choice for us this time.

mjkacmom,

You can be late for your time, we were over an hour late, they don’t care.

Unquote

You are referring to your allocated time for the cruise and entrance to the SOL? Good to know except in October, 1:00 o'clock is the last appointment due to the off season?

Now I have to figure out the fight.