Bonine for teens?

tcp

WE have done 2 cruises with our DS (Who is 16) and a third one planed.what DW and DS both do is they start the day before we leave on a cruise taking Bonine in the morning along with their normal vitamins. they have never had a problem and last year on our cruise on the Zaandam we were in very rough seas some where between 15' and 25'

I hope this helps:)

Both of our sons took bonnine, they were 9 and 17 when we cruised. The 17 yr old took one tablet each morning and the 9 year old took 1/2 on the advice of our doctor. Neither suffered any motion sickeness at all and both had a great cruise. The Bonnine did not make either of them sleepy either.

Funcruiser

We took our family on the Valor. I would check the weather for the next day. The desk can give you a report. It they predicted any type of rough sea I would give it to the kids the evening before.

In Grand Cayman I took the sting Ray tour and got a bit sea sick myself as the smaller boat moved around a bit more. Next time I will take it before excursions that might cause this...

Karyn

This might be a stupid question, but can I find Bonine at Walgreens? My wife has serious issues with motion sickness so I want to get her some options.

It's widely available at drugstores and supermarkets, but "Dramamine Less Drowsy Formula", also known as "Dramamine II" is the same active ingredient (meclizine) and sometimes easier to find (also more expensive).

My husband and I use Relief bands which are electric and look like a watch, sends an impulse that blocks any nausea feeling and works really well for us they are expensive though, the ones with replaceble batteries are between 79 and 99 depending on where you buy them.

Hi,

ReliefBand works for many.....I did read many good comments about them......but this electronic device does not work for everybody. We purchased ours back in 2003 (Explorer model) and they did not work for us on our cruise to Hawaii.....or even on the road to Hanna (many sharp turns). We used them correctly and there was no 'maqic'.....we still got motion sick..... wife had to get an injection in the medical facility. What works for some might not work for 'you'.

About 28 percent of people are prone to motion sickness....women twice as much as men.......persons that get migrane pains.....5 times as much as the rest of population. If 'you' are prone to this 'misarable' sickness....it is better to try to prevent it than to stop it. Once 'you' get sick, it is hard to take any oral medicine and difficult to keep it in you.

Meclizine (sold under many different names) has a low price tag at Costco, also Mejer's brand is not as expensive as some of the more 'popular' brands. Watch the dosage....small person needs less....someone a lot heavier might need more. Even that many do not have any side effects (other than being sleepy)......ask your medical person if it is the right thing for you. Same medicine is sold on prescription (one brand is Antivert.....it has been around for many years.....I used it back in about 1990 / 91 to control Vertigo. Children dosage is smaller (read the label). Alcohol will make 'you' more sleepy. Look at the amount of Meclizine in each tablet....it can be 15mg to up to 50mg.....depends on brand and / or prescription. Follow your doctor's 'orders'. And Meclizine aka Meclozine is the same regardless what name is on the label, but the price can very a lot. It got so many different names depands where you buy it and 'who' makes it.

Wes

Wes

It's widely available at drugstores and supermarkets, but "Dramamine Less Drowsy Formula", also known as "Dramamine II" is the same active ingredient (meclizine) and sometimes easier to find (also more expensive).

Sorry to have to correct you, but they do NOT have the same active ingredient. The less-drowsy formula has meclizine, but the original formula has dimenhydrinate. (which is chemically similar to diphenhydramine AKA- Benadryl...thus the drowsiness that often occurs afterward!)

Hope this helps!

Sorry to have to correct you, but they do NOT have the same active ingredient. The less-drowsy formula has meclizine, but the original formula has dimenhydrinate. (which is chemically similar to diphenhydramine AKA- Benadryl...thus the drowsiness that often occurs afterward!)

Hope this helps!

You're "correcting" me but confirming what I said! To be clear:

Dramamine "II" = Dramamine Less Drowsy = Bonine = meclizine. It lasts up to 24 hours and for most people, causes less drowsiness. Bonine is generally cheaper, but they have the same active ingredient.

Dramamine "original formula" is indeed dimenhydrinate. It lasts something like 6 hours (maybe 8), and zonks me out!

There are 3 different dramamine formulations, with 2 different active ingredients.

*** read the labels and don't rely on the internet (this post included!) for medical advice ***

I took ginger tablets for the first time when I cruised. I didn't use them for the plane because I wasn't sure about them and having a history with motion sickness on planes, I didn't want to test it there so I used my usual dramamine. On the ship, the ginger worked great! You do need to make sure that it doesn't interact with any of your medications before you take it however. I didn't have any problems with my stomach, even on the last day when the ship was rockin and rollin. I did take bonine before getting on tenders, because the tender to Grand Cayman was far worse, with the little boat going with the waves and hitting the ship. I've also heard those seabands work well and the ship was selling them on our last sea day.

Just read an interesting way to make your own seabands. Place a quarter on the veins in your wrist about 2 fingers width from the crease. Hold in place with a rubber band or ponytail band. Sounds like a good trick when you need it!

We just got off the Mercury Jan13, 06. Our 17 yr. D.D. and I both took the Ginger Tabs. Our first night was with very seas..and we found that the ginger tabs worked very well. I had checked with my pharmacist before we left. This is something we will take on future trips.

Peace................Anna

Archived