Snorkel Decision - Help Appreciated

LostFan#1

We are trying to decide between snorkeling in Grand Turk or in Bonaire. Any suggestions or recommendations? We would probably prefer an excursion rather than beach snorkeling.

Thanks,

Debbie

P. S. I will also post this in the Bonaire port of call thread.

The off shore beach snorkeling excursions along the Wall in GT are great. It's a protected marine reserve, national marine park.

Can't compare with Bonaire as we haven't gone there yet.

Thank you for your input; what were you able to see along the Wall?

Thank you for your input; what were you able to see along the Wall?

The Wall is primarily a dive site so mostly the feeling of the abyss. Drops to 6 or 7,000 feet. But the guides will take experienced snorkelers along the area that is only 20 feet deep or so. Lots of coral formations and tropical fish along with some nurse sharks. Really pretty is water is calm.

I used Blue Water Divers for snorkeling at Grand Turk. They brought us to a reef first and we had about an hour there. We saw a nurse shark there which was very cool. Afterwards they brought us to the edge of the wall at about 40' and then to 6000'. Very interesting experience and would definitely recommend at atleast once.

At Bonaire, take a ferry over to Klein Bonaire. It's a cheap snorkel excursion (I think it was about $10 pp rt) and it was some of the best snorkeling I've ever experienced. If you are only snorkeling at one port, Bonaire all the way. But considering how cheap Bonaire can be done, I'd recommend to do both.

I used Blue Water Divers for snorkeling at Grand Turk. They brought us to a reef first and we had about an hour there. We saw a nurse shark there which was very cool. Afterwards they brought us to the edge of the wall at about 40' and then to 6000'. Very interesting experience and would definitely recommend at atleast once.

At Bonaire, take a ferry over to Klein Bonaire. It's a cheap snorkel excursion (I think it was about $10 pp rt) and it was some of the best snorkeling I've ever experienced. If you are only snorkeling at one port, Bonaire all the way. But considering how cheap Bonaire can be done, I'd recommend to do both.

Can you explain in a bit more detail about Klein Bonaire? Does the ferry run on a schedule? Where does it drop off and pick up? I’ve heard it is drift snorkeling and if so, how does one know where to start? Do you just leave towels on the beach and walk back?

I’ve read quite a few posts about Klein Bonaire but just can’t quite picture how to work it all out.

Thanks,

Debbie

Watertaxi on Bonaire sails every hour sometimes on ship days every half an hour. $20 round trip!

Drop of your towel at the beach and walk back for about 20 minutes. Enter the ocean and just float back don’t swim you wil miss a lot.

It takes about an hour to float back.

Snorkeling is great! But there are no facilities on the island.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Watertaxi on Bonaire sails every hour sometimes on ship days every half an hour. $20 round trip!

Drop of your towel at the beach and walk back for about 20 minutes. Enter the ocean and just float back don’t swim you wil miss a lot.

It takes about an hour to float back.

Snorkeling is great! But there are no facilities on the island.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks, Lola. That helps a lot!

Bonaire is like being in a gigantic aquarium full of fish. No kidding. You cannot go wrong with snorkeling or scuba there. Easiest and most fish of anywhere. Coral reefs come right up to shore, so fish and colorful coral easily seen in shallow water.

Only place that comes close in the whole Caribbean is Roatan, but Bonaire is still better.