KENNEL DILEMMA pet care while you are gone

kenelmom

I had answered a kennel question on the Princess Cruise forum and thought this information might be helpful in this forum. If you have questions regarding pet care while you are away I will be glad to help in any way I can. I have been a kennel owner operator for over 40 years.

THE KENNEL DILEMMA

Helpful advice from the American Kennel Club

What do you do when you have to leave your dogs at home for an extended period of time? You could ask a friend to watch them or you could board them in a kennel. Many dog owners strongly oppose boarding their pets, but with some research, you can find reputable kennels.

· You must visit the kennels you are considering. If you are not permitted to visit the facilities, do not leave your dogs there. Your visit should be unannounced to prevent the kennel operator from making special preparations for your visit. You want to see the kennel as it really is. Once you are there, tour the entire facility. Look for the following.

· How big are the cages and how many dogs occupy a cage? Find out if they will board only one dog to a cage and ask to see those cages. You may also want to ask if they will allow your dog to have special reminders of home, like a favorite blanket or toy in the cage.

· Check to make sure the kennel has runs so your dogs are not kept in a cage all day long. If you have 2 or more dogs, a kennel with large runs may allow you to board the dogs together. Inspect the runs. If they are outside, there should be shading.

· Ask if there are grooming facilities at the kennel or if the dogs are picked up and taken somewhere else for grooming. If they are picked up dogs could get loose and run away.

· Ask how long the kennel has been in business and how many dogs they board.

· Make sure the premises are will staffed even during off hours.

· Ask about veterinary services.

· Ask for a written confirmation of prices quoted, and ask for the prices of “extras” “like dog walking or special diets.

· The kennel operator should also be interested in your dog.

· Reputable kennels will also require proof of vaccinations to protect all dogs boarding there from disease.

It really does pay to check these things out. We took our 'baby' to a kennel last June and ended up with several hundred dollars in vet bills afterwards due to stress related issues! I don't think there was anything wrong with the kennel, except for the fact they probably didn't pay as much attention to her as she gets at home, she may have had to sleep in an outside kennel (she is an indoor dog) and may have been with other dogs (she is an only 'child'!)

We are going on vacation again this June and I am starting my research now. I'm going to visit and tour kennels and then take my dog to visit also and meet the staff. Hopefully this will make her feel more comfortable when she's away from her family.:)

I'm sorry to hear that your kid didn't have a good kennel stay. In checking out kennels for your girl be sure to ask if it is an indoor/outdoor run it sounds like she needs a snuggle place to sleep. Also be sure she has private exercise time. I personally don't like group exercise because it only take a heart beat for a fight to break out. Hopefully you can find a kennel that offers a day stay that she might be able to do before your next trip. It might take a little time for her if she had a bad first stay at a kennel. If she is a small breed ask if she can only be next to smaller dogs. If next door is a 100 pound guy she might freak out with that. Of course there are little guys that think that they are Great Danes LOL. If I can help with questions feel free to ask.

Ask your veterinarian for recommendations. The clinic I work at has a list of kennels for that very purpose, and if your vet has the same service, then those kennels probably use your vet for services as well (nice if they do get sick while there). Another option is look for a reputable pet sitter- your vet may have a list of those as well. For most critters, kennels do a wonderful job, but there are SOME (not many) that just dont' do well in a kennel setting, no matter what.

Just my two cents...

dogdoc

I would also like to recommend that you look into a pet sitter. I am a pet sitter and most of my furry clients have been to kennels with negative reactions. You can find a pet sitter in you area by visiting the Pet Sitters International website at www.petsit.com. It is a great alternative to kenneling if you have any concerns. Most professional pet sitters are insured and bonded and can offer excellent references.

Just another option.

As for Kennels, beyond what everyone has said about finding a good one, I think the other important thing is take the dog a couple times when they're young so they get used to it, especially if you love to travel and will be doing so in the future. My sisters dog went 10 years without kenneling (the kids were always there to watch it). Now the kids are gone, and it's a problem. The dog cannot be put in a kennel, it barks NON-STOP, gets sick, won't eat or drink, etc etc. They can't even leave it in their vacation condo up north for a few hours, the thing goes nuts because it can't handle being alone anywhere but home. So they use a petsitter and it costs them 50.00 per day anytime they want to go away.

Also, you can ask your vet clinic if they have a list of pet sitters. Often the people on this list are vet techs that work at that clinic (as is the case for the clinic I used to work for). Some of them will house sit as well.

Make sure that you have an "authorization to treat" on file with your vet clinic, giving the name of the person who will be pet sitting. You may want to leave a credit card on file with them as well, in the event that your pet may need treatment. Most vets will not treat a "non-emergency" without the owners authorization.

Don't forget any regular meds (i.e. thyroid, anti-seizure, etc.) and/or prescription foods. Make sure you have plenty on hand and leave detailed dosage/time and/or feeding instructions as well as the phone # for the clinic and your regular veterinarian's name.

As always make sure your pet's vaccinations are current and don't forget to make sure they are wearing a collar with their name, your name and phone #. Murphy's Law says your normally calm labrador will bolt out the fron door the day after you leave! :p

My baby is a 9 yr old springer spaniel and she is VERY attached to her family (ME, in particular!) When I went on my cruise last week with my mom and daughter, my husband told me she wouldn't eat or drink and was totally depressed the whole time I was gone! Now she won't let me out of her sight...even joined me in the shower this morning!! She has been to kennels before, but this seems to get worse the older she gets. I found a couple kennels in our area that have lots of personal attention and indoor kennels, so I am going to start checking them out now. One even has TVs in their private rooms! Might seem crazy to some, but will probably save us in vet bills when we get home! The idea to take her for a day stay is a good one and I'm sure now that I'll do that. Since our other springer died a few years ago, she hasn't been around other dogs and I'm not sure she really remembers that she IS a dog!!!:eek: Thanks for all the tips...very helpful!!

I agree totally with you Kruisecat most cats don't do well in kennels. I tell my cat clients owners PLEASE talk to a pet sitter. Cats do so much better in the home. Kennels sholud only be the last choice for cats as I feel they hate it. Most dogs on the other hand seem to have fun in the kennel if the kennel staff is willing to be active with them. We have an on call vet service for our kennel, you never know when a pet may have need of medical service. You wouldn't leave you child without a medical contact.

We use a pet sitter for our 13 1/2 year old beagle, Rebecca comes and stays at our house with Maya while we're gone. She also waters the plants and brings in the mail and paper for us. We lost an almost 16 year old beagle last year and he was the reason we started using pet sitters to begin with. Kenneled him once, for 2 nights, at a very highly rated kennel. Astro stuck his head out the window and howled the whole way home and would not come near us for 2 days. Never had a problem with pet sitters.

Our Alaskan Malamute loves going to the kennel. The ladies there treat him like he is their own.

However, he's getting older and we concerned about his hips on a cold concrete floor. So we've done some research and found another kennel that had heated floors. We were planning on taking him there for our next trip but then we found a friend of a friend who is willing to dog sit for us at a great rate. She's been highly recommended by a co-worker as well.

We don't want to trust our puppy (he's 10) to just anyone so we've done a lot of checking.

As one of the previous posters mentioned, it's important that the dog become accustomed to kennels early. Our guy has been going a couple times a year since he was a puppy...we call it it "camp". (Of course, the grooming visit is "spa".)

I use a pet sitter for my 18 and 4 1/2 year-old cats, as they do much better by being at home....especially the 18 year-old. She comes in twice a day to feed and water them. and scoop out the "lumps" in the litter box. I usually board my 5 year-old Cocker Spaniel at the vet, because she's used to going there, and seems to feel comfortable. I also have her bathed and groomed while she's there. ($$$$$). Sigh. The price we pay for furkids!!:D

I'm sorry if I spoke to fast with the draw back on cageless or open kenneling. I know some that have had great luck with it and the dogs have a ball in this type of freedom. And I'm glad for your luck and good screening of client dogs. I think after all these years I'm just a chicken to try this form. If you talk to enough people you will hear the horrible sides of all types of kenneling. I just want people to know that there are people in the pet care field that really do have your dogs care in mind and not the all mightly dollar.

I know this is a hard decision. My dogs are my other babies. Iam an in home petsitter,except the dogs come to my house. Ive been doing this for 10 yrs, and have the best time with it. Although, its not as ideal as the pet staying at their own home, its pretty darn good alternative. Im a stay at home mom. So when I have doggie customers they are treated like part of my family,they hangout with my family and all seem to adjust pretty well.

My 2 dogs have never been boarded in a Kennel, I couldnt imagine it. How sad it is for dogs :(....

I'm puzzled why do so many people feel that it is so sad to put a dog in a kennel? Yes some dogs don't like it, but I would say that over 95% of the dogs that visit my kennel have a good to great time. They are interacting with other dogs which many can't do at home. They have play time with humans which show them care and love. Is it just the idea that they are in a "cage" "jail" what? We call our runs rooms to try to take that idea of "jail away. Isn't it more peace of mind knowing that your special kid is in a safe place and has human contact while you are away? Or always wondering while you are gone did your dog dig under the fence because it was bored and now is in danger of being lost forever due to a car?

For those of you that think that dogs are sad and depressed in a kennel, go and visit kennels and really look at the DOGS and see if they are drooling from stress or just laying around and sad. I will bet for the most part you will see excited dogs. If you drive up to a kennel and you hear it very loud (not exercise time or feeding) for more than five minutes then yes it might be a stressful kennel. I would go crazy if my kennel was loud all day. Most of the dogs nap in the day as they do at home. Exercise time is a whole other story. Sorry I didn't mean to go on and on.

Dogs are dogs, that's why we call 'em dogs. People are always trying to attach human emotions and feelings to them and that's just silly. Yes dogs have feelings and emotions but on a very primal level, no where near as complex as ours.

An interesting note to our Vet keeping our boys. On our return from their last stay they were doing surgery one day and happened to look up to see Radar up on his hind legs looking in the window to see what the surgical team was up to!

personally, i hate cages....and that's how i feel....and i don't know about the kennels where you live...but here.....no way, no how......i would never go on vacation if i had to put my dogs in a kennel....and let me tell you when a dog goes home after being in a kennel or a dog goes home from someone who does cageless boarding, there is absolutely no comparison....i have seen it time and time again....

but that's just IMHO....

crate oranges, not dogs

best regards*

I had the same problem as most of you. I am a 5 year old female (Box-a-dor) a boxer/lab mix. My mom runs an in home day care and I am most attched to her, my boy, my kids and yes my pop. The last three vacations they went on, they got a house sitter. The problem was I just flashed my big sad doggie eyes and them and they rolled over and let me pick up lots of bad habits, cause they felt sorry for me. I pride myself in being a well trained dog ( My people went to all of the people training classes).

I am a house and family/day care day dog, os a kennel was not the way for me to go. So this coming trip my Mom looked into a Dog Day Care. A wonderful dog trainer/car taker has converted her three bedroom home into a doggie day care. We the dogs have free run, but rules and are people are always smiling when they pick us up. We are sure this means they are happy with the place. They have more climbing toys in the back yard than I have ever seen. All my new friends are there and we all play together and are in heaven.

Mom my enrolled my there last September for twice a month visits to get me acclamated. I will be spending one and two nights in Jan and Feb. to get her used to the overnight away from my family.

The key is to get your furry family member visits before you go and they just think it is another home. I just is so happy now, when my Mom tells me we are going to see my Cha Cha. I love it there and my Mom can have a restful vacation on her upcoming upcoming cruise and will be worry free.

I will still not eat for the first couple of days. The thruth is that I am a mammal and when I get hungry enough I will eat. The guilt trip works only so far, and my hunger always wins.

I would suggest that you look for a good doggie day care in your area, your dog will love you for it.

Duchess Marie ( 5 year old box-a-dor)

Owned by Nancy:D

I think the bottom line is that there is something out there for everyone and every dog.

I have a number of clients that did the kennel thing and their dogs came home sick and depressed and many wouldn't eat for many days. They choose my services. On the other side of things, I have referred clients to kennels (both traditional and cageless) because their dogs just did not do well being at home so much by themselves.

Dogs do have emotions. They don't have the range that we do but check out a wagging tail sometime when you come in the door and tell me that isn't happiness :D

Really it comes down to knowing your dog and doing your homework. Find the right solution for you and you will have a much more enjoyable vacation!

My dog loves going to the kennel... its like she goes on vacation too! When we get there she leaps out of the car and runs inside, and when we pick her up and come home she sleeps for 3 days straight because she's exhausted from all the fun.

The kennel we go to has indoor quiet time in very generous kennels, with three separate play sessions outside each day, about 2-3 hours each session, in yards with dogs of equal temperament. My dog is an Australian Shepherd so she gets thrown in a yard with other high-energy dogs and they play for hours, then go inside for a few hours of nap time, then back out for play, and so on.

The people who run it are animal behavioralists. The owner trains police dogs and runs an obedience school as well. They really know which dogs to put with others and which dogs need to be separated from the others. And in the very rare case of a fight, they know how to stop it.

They also have the "house dog" room... instead of going outside for playtime they group together all the wee little house dogs in a big indoor play room full of couches, etc.

I never worry about my dog when I'm on holidays!

My baby Moose (chocolate lab) cannot be caged. He came from the pound where he broke some of his teeth trying to get out of the cage. I tried to 'crate' him (due to some damage he did to my house) but came home to him standing in inch thick bloody drool because he panics and drools to the point where he dehydrates himself, bites the cage till his gums bleed, and digs till his paws bleed. Then he lays in the drool and gets chapped. He simply panics. After awhile he just turns circles (I have taped him) and then goes back to the digging and chewing.

Lucky for me, my daughter is always willing to come stay at my house when I vacation. If not for her, I would have no vacation. I accept the fact that I have a dog that cannot be caged or kenneled and I deal with it.

Archived