need a vacation idea

Donnaluv2cruise

Four of us are traveling the first week in August this year for a 40th birthday and none of the Celebrity cruises fit into what we're looking for. Does anyone have any favorite spots to go that time of year? I know it will be hot and you're taking your chances that time of year. We're looking for fun and sun, some shopping, and some nightlife. We went on a RCCL cruise last year and my husband won't go on anything but Celebrity again so the other lines are out. Suggestions?:confused:

If you love Celebrity give HAL a try. They have some different ports to call on in August in the Carrib. You didn't say if you liked big or small ships but HAL has both like Celebrity. August is not near as bad as Sept/October as far as getting in a hurricane besides if one pops up they know what to do to stay clear of it. The biggest problem with early August is those kiddies are still out of school and cruising like mad so that could be an issue with you.

For just sheer fun in sun, top rated beaches and shopping with fine resturants I would spend a week in St. Thomas, VI. at one of those resorts however expect it to cost more than a cruise unless you share everything.

One more thing about going to an island in August.... IF a hurricane hits while you are there you're stuck and your vacation will be ruined. A cruise may take you someplace different but at least you will still have a great vacation.

Hello,

This response is probably what you do not want to hear but I thought I would suggest it anyway. Alaska is a very interesting place to visit and especially by cruise ship. In August the weather can be exceptionally nice in Alaska and there is hiking, fishing, and shopping. You can keep the cost to a mininum by renting a car in Skagway and Juneau which will allow you to see and do a lot of interesting things.

Fred

I love Iberostar A/I hotel chain.. We stayed in 2 of them in Dominican Republic (Hacienda Dominicus and Punta Cana) and loved it... some people say that Grand Lido in Mexico is even better!!!

Come visit Canada! August is beautiful. Lots of sun, shopping, night life if you choose Toronto or Montreal. Prince Edward Island is magnificent in the summer. Your dollar will go further. If you're at all interested let me know and I'll send you some "don't miss" attractions.

How about getting away from the usual American haunts and heading for south east asia. We have been several times and it is fantastic. We love Thailand in particular. The hotels are amazing - we stayed in a five star with a huge balcony overlooking tropical gardens near the beach and the room was over 600 sq ft. The hotel had a wonderfull pool with swim up bar, infinity pool and one of the best Spa's in the world - cost for ten nights with 5 nights in another five star in Bangkok including flights from the UK was around 1000 US dollars per person, but we only needed 750 dollars spending money between us

The food the best in the world, there is plenty of nightlife (Bangkok puts New York and LA to shame!!), Some of the best beaches in the world - forget the Caribean, the beach where they filmed the movie The Beach really does look just like that. It is VERY safe for tourists, and while it costs a bit more to get there, when you are there it is amazingly cheap. For example we went to a great restraunt on a pier over the sea, we had the best table at the end of the pier (very romantic) we had a sea food platter of lobster, crab, shrimp, prawn and fish, along with several other dishes with drinks for about 15 US dollars.

The sights are amazing and there is loads to do

Does Bermuda (on Zenith) not have fun in the sun & night life since you do overnight there in both ports?

OR have you already investigated everything Celebrity offers and therefore you are specifically asking for land vacation suggestions? I personally love Hilton Head Island, SC any time of the year. Golf, night life, beaches, August will probably still have their cultural series of concerts etc.

If you haven't done the Alaska tour yet, August is a great time. If you pick up the ship beginning or ending in Vancouver it would give you a wonderful experience in this great cosmopolitan Canadian city. It would also give you quick access to Victoria on Vancouver Island which is another favorite city of ours. Our just skip the cruise altogether and just hang out in Canada - your money goes further and there is great sights to see, great music and super food! Have a memorable 40th whatever you do!! :p

but really don't care if you cruise ... early August in Seattle and environs is SPECTACULAR. Highs generally mid-70s. Dry weather. Sun and water fun galore ... sailing, water skiing, waterfront dining, jazz and dance clubs in several fun districts around downtown, shopping at Pike Place Market and up-and-coming downtown centers ... Early August is also the climax of our biggest summer festival, Seafair, featuring hydroplane racing and Blue Angels air shows. With Seattle as a base, you can take day trips to rainforests, volcanoes, British-flavored Victoria (B.C., Canada), incredible botanical gardens ... it's the time of year when all us locals fall in love with our hometown all over again. (UNLIKE *this* time of the year when it is our 23rd straight day of rain, sigh) Wherever you go, have a great time -- TR

If I was looking for a non-cruise vacation in August I'd tend to go to a "nature" spot. The national parks like Yellowstone, Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park, Grand Canyon, etc. But these don't have much nightlife or shopping. For those I'd think a big city like Chicago or San Francisco - maybe Vancouver. Something in between - how about some place like Aspen - never been there but heard it's nice and have the impression there is a lot there.

I spent the first three weeks of August, 2004, on the North Island of New Zealand. It was just starting to be Spring there, so there would be days of gorgeous sunshine and warm breezes, and then days of rain and wind. It was fantastic -- there were hardly any tourists about at all, it's really easy to drive yourself around, the food and wine (especially in Hawke's Bay) was great. I really want to go back!!!!

And if you're really jonesing for the beach, there's a beach on the Coromandel Peninsula that feature a volcanic hot spring that wells up out of the sand at just above the low tide mark. People come with shovels to dig shallow pools, and lounge around in the water even in cool weather. It was basically the equivalent of Februrary in San Francisco there, and about 40 people were on Hot Water Beach at sunset on a Saturday night digging pools. It was like a cross between sand castle building and hot tubbing!

Archived