Getting to Nice from Monte Carlo

Ski Mom 2

Leaving in a week and I still need to figure out our day in Monte Carlo. We want to head to Nice in the morning to visit the market and then hang out for a while. We have all day to then check out another town or two. We could rent a car or a guide but could just as easily take public transportation. We love to eat, drink and get to know the locals. Ideas appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You have two good options to get to Nice from Monte Carlo....via public transit. The least expensive and convenient way (from the cruiser pier) is to use the #100 bus. To get to the nearest bus stop you do have to walk from the port towards town (ask anyone where to get the 100 bus). The walk to the nearest bus stop will take you about 15 min. That bus runs about every 10-15 min...you pay the driver...and the buses are quite nice. You also get a nice view of the area by riding the bus. The other option is to go all the way to the Monte Carlo train station where you can catch the train to Nice. But you would likely want a taxi to get to the train station, the trains do not run as often...and they are more expensive then the bus. And the trains spend much of that route inside tunnels.

I am not sure of the current bus fare but it is probably about 1.5 to 2€. And you do need Euros to ride the bus. For bus timetables and other info you can Google "Ligne d'Azur" or simply go to this link:

https://www.lignesdazur.com/en/department-bus-lines/108

I have never found a decent map that shows the detail on getting to the #100 bus stop. As you walk away from the port there is a coffee shop on your left (in a small strip of shops) which is open early in the morning. You might want to stop for a cup of coffee and ask for directions to the bus stop...but make sure you specify the 100 bus or "bus to Nice." Otherwise somebody might direct you to the nearest bus stop for the local Monte Carlo buses...which are in a different location.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thank you Hank for your wonderful insight! A few more questions if I might...

Do you know how long the bus ride is to Nice? Is it best to go all the way to the Nice port stop or do you suggest a different stop?

I see that the #100 bus stops in Eze. Would you recommend stopping there as well? If so, would you go there before or after Nice? Which stop would be best for Eze? I do want to visit Nice and the market but as I've said before, we really like to wander, eat, drink and get to know the locals. A museum or church is always doable as well.

Thanks!

The #100 bus takes about 40 min from the bus stop near the port to Nice. When heading in the direction of Nice we would recommend trying to get a seat at a left side window. You would probably want to go to the end of the line in Nice....but I will hedge because there was some construction in that area on our last visit so not exactly sure where the current bus stop is located.

The #100 Bus DOES NOT GO TO EZE VILLAGE. I put that in caps for emphasis for anyone who sees this post. The 100 bus does stop along the coast at Eze/Bord sur Mer....(which is also where there is a train stop)...but this is not to be confused with Eze Village...which is the popular touristy village high up on the hill overlooking Eze sur Mer. I believe the #112 bus goes up to Eze Village and there is also another bus, I think it is #83, that does run from that Eze/Bord sur Mer station up to the Village. But there are issues when using the bus to get to Eze Village (the schedules are not always favorable) so we will leave that topic for another day or for somebody who has more recent info.

We love going to the Flower Market in Nice (there is a lot more then just Flowers) and its a great place to start one's visit to Nice. Adjacent to that market area is Nice's so-called Old Town area which is nice for strolling and some shopping (the quality of the shopping in this area is often overrated). The nearby Promanade des Anglais is probably the most famous walking area in Nice with its wide promanade overlooking the beach and sea. Nice is a large city with plenty of shopping, decent museums, and some world-class restaurants.

I would add that there are some good reasons why DW and I prefer to have a rental car in this part of France. While buses are inexpensive, clean and safe...they limit one's ability to maximize a port day. With a car we could easily drive to Nice, St Paul De Vence, perhaps a quick visit to Antibes, and then stop at Eze Village on our way back to Monte Carlo (or Villfranche for ships tendering into that port). But doing all that on public buses is very difficult to impossible. The bummer is that we are not aware of a convenient rental car place near the port at Monte Carlo...although perhaps this has now changed. I have noticed one rental car company called MC-Eco Rental that shows-up on maps as being near the port but we know nothing about this company or if they even exist.

Perhaps somebody else here on CC has some experience with this company. When we rent cars in MC and are doing it on a port day we usually make the long hike from the Port into town to get the car.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hank:

You have me investigating rental cars in Monte Carlo. We have driven in Italy and Ireland so driving could work for us. I want to go to Nice for the Flower Market and the Old Town. How hard is it to park in those areas? We found parking difficult in Pisa which is why I ask. Thanks!

Hank:

You have me investigating rental cars in Monte Carlo. We have driven in Italy and Ireland so driving could work for us. I want to go to Nice for the Flower Market and the Old Town. How hard is it to park in those areas? We found parking difficult in Pisa which is why I ask. Thanks!

In Nice you have a few options. You might be able to find free (or very low cost) parking on the street within a few blocks on the outdoor market. If not, there are several large underground parking garages within a few blocks. Nice is nothing like you experienced in Pisa :). Since you mentioned parking I will expand a little on some other options. If you decide to drive to St Paul de Vence (a favorite town for us) there is some limited free parking along the approach road. But there is also a large indoor paid parking garage located just past the entrance to the city (you will see the "P" signs) which is very convenient.

If you drive to Eze Village (we usually save this as a stop on the way back to Monte Carlo) there is a parking lot right in front of the main entrance. We have always been able to find a spot in that lot...although there have been times when we had to wait a few minutes for somebody to leave. The worst place to drive is actually in Monte Carlo which can have lots of traffic and is an easy place to get slightly lost. Having a GPS (or a working cell phone with GPS) is a great help :).

Hank