New to this Cruising Lark - dining help required

Good Morning All

My hubby and I have booked a 2 week cruise on the Adult Only Explorer 2 ship for July 2019.

We are complete cruise novices but my sister has been on a couple of P&Os and a Celebrity Cruise later this year.

She keeps telling us about being able to choose a sitting for dinner and whether we would want 'free flow' dining or sit with the same people each evening ??? I appreciate Thomson may be less formal (here's hoping, husband isn't big on sitting with the Captain every night and having to wear a Tuxedo).

I've done some poking around on the Marella Cruise pages but it doesn't say how the dining works. Hoping some of you experienced Thomson cruisers can help fill in the large blanks on this one!

Is it informal, i.e. ask for a table for two and go to dinner anytime? Or is it say, two sittings for each restaurant and you can sit where you like or get placed on a table for 4, 6 or 8?

Any detail would be gratefully received.

Thank you in advance :)

It is freedom dining, the main dining room is open from say 6.30pm to 9.00 pm. You go to the restaurant reception desk and ask for a table for however many of you there are. The receptionist might ask you if you are willing to share a table or do you want a table for say 2 people. You are shown to your table if there is one available and if not you are given a pager to inform you when your requested table is ready.

There are no table reservations, you just turn up when you want to eat but note there will be busy times when you may have to wait. Some people might try and get a table in a certain part of the restaurant or with certain waiters. This is not part of the system although they might try to accommodate you if a table is available in that area.

Dave is correct - we see how we feel on the night, might just want our own company - table for two or fancy meeting new people - share a table, it works well both ways. Think you will enjoy Marella, we certainly do.

We found going in towards the start, or end, of service left us with the shortest wait for a table for 2: pretty much seated straight away. We once went mid-service and it was quite a wait (so we had a buffet tea instead which was actually really good!).

I’m sure you will love it :)

We prefer to share a table as you meet interesting people - 95% of the time!. The benefit is all the useful information you pick-up about ports of call from others.

Make sure you read 'cruise news' each day if you want to take part in quizes, deck activities etc

If you aren't going on an organised excursion, the excursion team will still give you tips/directions for the next port, and maps for each port are available from reception (as is an A4 daily newspaper)

We did the buffet and the more formal dining depending on the menu and how we felt. We also kept an eye on the evening shows to fit in with seeing that if it looked good. We were cruising over Xmas and New Year so did the tux thing on formal nights to make it feel more of a celebration however were rather surprised at some men allowed in in shorts and polo shirts when their women had made an effort! Thomson (at the time) did not make any scene. This time depending on luggage weight OH might just opt for a lounge suit.

We rarely had to queue and always got a table for 2 if requested, we had to do this later in the cruise as picked up a cold cough bug and didnt want to pass to fellow diners (those few not already inflicted by whoever we got it from!) Being on shared tables was also fun. The buffet was more cafeteria style but great if in a hurry.

Formal nights you get a seating time invite but can always change it. They do hold these regularly to bump up the photo sales!