Booking the Sanctuary

Adventures ahead

Will be on the Emerald, California Coast.

It's been awhile since we booked the Sanctuary. My experience was... if you wanted to book it only for sea or certain days, you had to appear very early on each day that you wanted it and hope for the best. Is this still the policy, or what are the chances of booking the Sanctuary upon embarkation for only the individual days you want?

You can book the specific day(s) you want upon boarding. Haven’t seen the early morning rush and long waits to book in several years.

Hi Pam, thanx for all your advice and for sharing so much Princess experience.

Have you sailed LA to Hawaii? We're doing it in January. Is it too cold to book the Sanctuary the 1st few days and the last few days? Thanx. Mike in CT

Have you sailed LA to Hawaii? We're doing it in January. Is it too cold to book the Sanctuary the 1st few days and the last few days? Thanx. Mike in CT

It depends on conditions, usually pretty chilly up there, especially in Jan.

You can book the specific day(s) you want upon boarding. Haven’t seen the early morning rush and long waits to book in several years.

Thanks Pam!

We have extra OBC and it seems like a quiet, relaxing way to spend some of it. Hopefully, it will be warm enough in late September/early October and not too windy! Might need a blankie!

Yes it is and VERY windy.

Yes, it’s chilly and windy the first couple of days and the last day from Ensenada. If I book for the whole cruise, what I’ve done is have them put my lounger along the windbreak wall. Another trick is to put the lounger so your back is to the wind and have them put a large golf umbrella behind the lounger.

80c04afe74bc64d004f382ce9386e87c.jpg

Interesting tip, Pam. Thanks for sharing that. Is that photo from the Emerald or a different ship?

I, too, am cruising on the Emerald from L.A. to Hawaii this coming January and have been debating on booking a spot in the sanctuary for the trip. I suspect that it'll be too cold for the first and last few days but maybe the days in the middle will make it worthwhile.

Yes, it’s chilly and windy the first couple of days and the last day from Ensenada. If I book for the whole cruise, what I’ve done is have them put my lounger along the windbreak wall. Another trick is to put the lounger so your back is to the wind and have them put a large golf umbrella behind the lounger.

80c04afe74bc64d004f382ce9386e87c.jpg

Is this what you pay extra for? We're in a balcony, how does this differ from the already paid for balcony. We're interested in booking the Sanctuary, but is it mostly for guests without balconies, because frankly I dont see alot of difference.

It depends on conditions, usually pretty chilly up there, especially in Jan.

Concur Usually too cool Frequently the high will be 60F. Last time

I traveled this general route at about this time of year even the main pool was abandoned. Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, the photo is from the Island Princess where the Sanctuary is aft, not forward.

How is the Sanctuary different from a balcony?

A balcony has a chair and an ottoman. No lounger. I find the balcony furniture like sitting in concrete. They are very hard with no “give.”

The Sanctuary has super comfortable loungers, attendants to bring you food ($3 delivery charge) and drinks (usual drink charge.) They bring you blankets if it’s chilly, iced towels if it’s hot, luxury pool towels if you want them, pillows, and the afternoon tea served at your lounger (included) is fabulous.

You reserve a specific lounger and it’s yours for the time you book. No one else can use it. The Sanctuary is adults-only and is usually quiet.

I now book oceanview or inside cabins and book the Sanctuary, depending on the expected temps.

I'm the OP :) and thanks for your comments!

Considering the Sanctuary because:

- We don't get a balcony.

- By the time we get to the loungers, we can't seem to find a relaxing one anywhere, crawling over other people and their stuff!

I'll check the Sanctuary and weather before giving them any of my 'hard-earned" OBC!;)

Thanks again.