What was your first Modern Cruise ship on which you sailed?

Cruise Arizona

Just curious for those of us that have been cruising for a long time, when did you first sail on a completely modern ship? and what one was it.

In all my years of cruising my first modern ship was the Mecury in 2003.

Even in 1993, on the Rotterdam, it was the old Rotterdam and not the new one. That was however the first ship I cruised on that was big enought to have full theater and just a show lounge.

The first modern Cruise ship I sailed on was HAL's MS Zuiderdam in June 2005. I'd been on other ships - including Cunard's RMS Carinthia http://www.greatships.net/scans/PC-CA05.jpgin January 1967, and the RMS Queen Elizabeth http://ocean-liners.schuminweb.com/ships/queen-elizabeth.asp in 1965. Ah.... memories..... the Carinthia was a lovely ship, and it's only in the last 6 months that she's finally gone to the breaker's yard.

The next ship I'll be on is the MS Constellation in July!

James

Our first cruise was on NCL's Sunward in 1985 to the Bahamas. We didn't get to cruise again until 1997 on the Legend of the Seas to Alaska. By then our children were starting to spread their wings and college was over. (thank goodness!). Now we try to cruise 2 times a year.

Garry

Hi Joan,

Was this the crew?

[ATTACH]15123[/ATTACH]

Sun Princess, 1986

LOL they look vaguely familiar, Bill.;)

Actually the crew was great. All Italians in the dining room and Brits everywhere else. We had the funniest Cockney room steward named Joe. It was my 30th birthday and I think almost every waiter in the dining room kissed my hand.

I don't suppose a 1968 cruise on Epirotiki's first ship M/V Semiramus (launched 1935) counts, does it? It had a plunge pool! Less than 2,000 GRT.

Really though Ocean Princess 2001. The cruise that hooked! Tremendous (trans-canal)!

Sailed this past September on Regal Empress (1953), very nice dining room. Retro fitted hot tubs too! Missed Norway.

It was the Horizon in 1993. A nine day holiday cruise out of San Juan--I remember the Meridian was docked right next to us and it seemed so small and old fashion compared to the Horizon. Lauren and I had just met.:rolleyes: :)

Very cool.

Kel

Archived