How do you think this would work/look?

lka1012

I sew most of my cruise/summer clothing. I saw a McCalls pattern that interested me, but I am not sure it would work for what I want to do.

First go to http://www.mccall.com/ then click on McCalls. Then click on What's New and it is pattern M5004. Click on the pattern and look at both the cover and front and back fews further down the page.

First question, would this be appropiate for a 50 year old woman (5 ft. 130 lbs).

Second, what about making the top and a matching pair of pants from the same fabric.

And third fabric suggestions

or Four -- forget it, it will not work.

Thanks. I need to make decisions and buy fabric.

When I look at this pattern I think it would be most suitable for twenty somethings. But if you have toned arms no doubt you could carry it off. In any case I would not make pants in the same material. This type of top looks best with those designer jeans that are so popular for clubbing. This is just my opinion and in no way do I mean to make you feel bad.

Let me see if I can link the page for you, so others can see it more easily.

http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5004.htm?tab=whats_new&page=1

I think it would look pretty on a young, fairly tall, slender woman. I'm not real crazy for the look, but then I would not wear something with an uneven hem, just personal taste. I think if the pants and top were the same pattern, it might look more like pajamas than an outdoor outfit. If I were to choose any one of these tops, it would be D, with the underneath layer eliminated.

But, you can throw all that out if this is what you love to wear and what appeals to you. The clothing is for you, not the rest of us. You have to feel good in what you wear and how you feel will make you more beautiful than the clothes you have on.

Finally, I admire you so for making your own clothes. I gave up sewing a few years ago, sometimes I miss it. But then, I pull out all the "stuff" you need to get it done and can't wait to put it all away again!

I agree that this is a somewhat younger look, but if you feel confident in it, why not?! Nobody on the cruise has to know your real age anyway! I hear "50" is the new "30". :D

I like the uneven hem, and that is unusual for me to say because I am quite the left-brained symmetrical type.

As far as pants, I'd suggest perhaps something in a slightly darker version of the same color and a heavier fabric. Slim leg cut would be my suggestion.

If you go for this, I'd love to see a photo when you complete it! I sew too, and it's fun to see what others come up with.

I think a flowy fabric would be best. I don't think cotton or something thick would do it justice. And ditto on not matching the shirt and pants. I think black pants that flare a little at the bottom would go well. But you know your body type and what kind of pants are going to look good on you.

The backs of patterns' envelopes usually have in very small type a suggested fabrics section. I have found that their suggestions are excellent being as they are the experts and know what fabric is best suited to the garment.

By the way, I didn't know there was a web site for McCall's, Vogue and Butterick. Thanks for the heads up.

As for the appropriateness of the outfit you chose for a woman of 54, you know your figure better than any of us. I have seen 54 year olds who would look acceptable in this outfit, but when I was 54 I couldn't have because I really needed sleeves. That outfit would have been too daring for me at 54, but that is just me and my figure issues.

I love that you sew. I gave it up when my fingertips went numb on me and I can no longer feel the thread even to tie a knot. Please let us know what fabric you bought and what color.

lka1012....if this is your normal style...then go for it! Personally, I would wear it and I'm almost 50. (did I just say that???). I like pattern D the best and would wear it with jeans or black flare leg pants and killer high-heeled pumps! I agree about 'flowing' fabric also.

Have fun! and happy sewing!

If you're in good shape, then I don't think age is a deterrent to this outfit, however, to be brutally honest, I don't think that at 5' and 130 pounds you're tall and slender enough to pull off this look as it's looks best when paired with tight, long and lean jeans.

Also, I think this type of top does not do well as a "matchy matchy" pant set. It's best as a separate.

I'd make a different style of tank top in a pretty fabrc with matching pants.

Jane

Ika - since we are the same age (OK, I'm turning 52 this weekend) and in the same city - before you make this, hit TJMaxx - they have alot of these tops - they are in the $15-25 range - then decide...I thought I wanted to wear this and tried on several and had to decide to leave this trend to my 17 yo dd - and I'm 5'8"..

One of my best friends wore a flowing top just like the one in your pattern (assymentrical bottom, spagehtti strap top) with black boot leg pants, stillettos and it looked sensational on her.

She is very short (5'2"), shaped like an apple, with a large chest and not the best of arms.

This outfit made her look tall and slender. I never would have thought this in a million years because in theory it doesn't sound like a good idea.

She looked fantastic!

Ika - since we are the same age (OK, I'm turning 52 this weekend) and in the same city - before you make this, hit TJMaxx - they have alot of these tops - they are in the $15-25 range - then decide...I thought I wanted to wear this and tried on several and had to decide to leave this trend to my 17 yo dd - and I'm 5'8"..

I think this is a great idea! Often when we seamstresses embark upon a project, we are putting a lot of time and effort into something without knowing how the end result will look. Even if you prefer to do the work yourself, it might not hurt to go try on one of similar shape and see how you feel about the reflection in the mirror before you purchase fabric and sink time into it.

The best idea yet!

I coveted a top for months and purchased it when it went on sale. When I got it home I figured out why this beautiful looking top was on sale, it looked horrible on. I've been back to the same store several times, this top, in all sizes, is still there. The sales clerk says absolutely no one likes it on.

Blueherons, that is a nice story. I hope you told your friend how nice it made her look.

The best idea yet!

I coveted a top for months and purchased it when it went on sale. When I got it home I figured out why this beautiful looking top was on sale, it looked horrible on. I've been back to the same store several times, this top, in all sizes, is still there. The sales clerk says absolutely no one likes it on.

Blueherons, that is a nice story. I hope you told your friend how nice it made her look.

yeah,but after I read that I wondered if I wasn't being too harsh on myself and SHOULD get the top to wear? gee, Blueherons, will you come tell me how great I look in it?

yeah,but after I read that I wondered if I wasn't being too harsh on myself and SHOULD get the top to wear? gee, Blueherons, will you come tell me how great I look in it?

Yes, I did tell her several times.

I guess the moral of the story is that even tho you look at something and think, "no way", try it on first.

The shirt would not have worked with jeans but the line of the shirt and pants was streamlined, fitted, and took about 15 pounds off her.

I decided NOT to do this. It is a little young for me and really does require somone a little taller and a lot thinner. But I did get some wonderful Batik print fabric at Hancocks (our regional fabric stroe chain) at lunch to day. And will probalby get some more this weekend during their sails. As a character in a book I read said "Come Spring (or cruise) I must have new plummage."

Thank you for your comments, it really did help. I might still make it, but at jammie, not a regular outfit.

One of my best friends wore a flowing top just like the one in your pattern (assymentrical bottom, spagehtti strap top) with black boot leg pants, stillettos and it looked sensational on her.

She is very short (5'2"), shaped like an apple, with a large chest and not the best of arms.

This outfit made her look tall and slender. I never would have thought this in a million years because in theory it doesn't sound like a good idea.

She looked fantastic!

Interesting.....who woulda thunk???

Proves that it's best to try-on and that the "rules" don't always apply. It's best to shop with a friend who is honest and has a real sense of fashion and what looks good.

Jane

I guess the moral of the story is that even tho you look at something and think, "no way", try it on first. quote]

That is so true! I was looking for something 'different' for New Year's Eve. I went to Fashion Bug and found a pair of black pants. They had a silver and lavender pin-stripe, not something I would normally wear. Also, they were cut a little lower, the legs a little wider and had an attached fabric belt. Not at all ME or so I thought, until my dd (ehpride) convinced me to try them on. She found a lavener top to go with them that was also not ME, at all (looked almost like a poncho, but not quite!!)...but once again, I didn't know until I tried it on, WITH the pants, that the whole look really WAS ME and was very flattering (I thought so anyway!)

It doesn't hurt to try things on, just for the fun of it...you might actually like it and how much fun is that?!:D

Archived