First Time Royal Cruise Questions

Hi!

We've been on many Carnival cruises but never Royal. We're excited to try out Royal, but we have a few questions for our Oasis cruise.

How do luggage tags work? Do we use the sheet of paper and wrap it on our luggage like with Carnival?

How strict is the dress code for dinners in the my time dining? Can we wear khaki non-cargo shorts on non-formal nights? Can I wear Khaki pants and a button down long sleeve dress shirt for formal night? Or do I need a jacket?

For my time dining, we reserved 5:30 slots every night. Do we just show up and ask for a table for 3 that changes each night, or are we assigned a specific table we go to every night?

How does check in work at the cruise terminal? Is there a certain time we shouldn't arrive before?

How does debarkation work if we want to carry off our own luggage? Is it the same as carnival?

Luggage tags are the same, a sheet of paper that is folded, wrapped around the handles, and stapled.

Dress suggestions are not enforced, wear whatever you like.

Suggested check-in times are not enforced either.

For my time dining, we reserved 5:30 slots every night. Do we just show up and ask for a table for 3 that changes each night, or are we assigned a specific table we go to every night?

you are assigned a table for the cruise...

How does check in work at the cruise terminal? Is there a certain time we shouldn't arrive before?

no its more relaxed than Carnival

How does debarkation work if we want to carry off our own luggage? Is it the same as carnival?

yes you carry off at the beginning.

The OP was asking about My Time Dining.

No table assignment in MTD, only in traditional dining. The host will usually place you at or near the first night table unless you ask for a different area or waiter. You can also ask for a given table every night, especially if you always dine at the same time. 5:30 is pretty much the start of dinner, so this should be easy. If you find that you will need to be later one night, informing the host the night before is appreciated and there is a good chance that when you do arrive your table, or at least waiter, is available. Also let them know when you will be specialty dining.

The tables nearest the entrance are usually held for the mobility challenged.

Hi!

We've been on many Carnival cruises but never Royal. We're excited to try out Royal, but we have a few questions for our Oasis cruise.

How do luggage tags work? Do we use the sheet of paper and wrap it on our luggage like with Carnival?

How strict is the dress code for dinners in the my time dining? Can we wear khaki non-cargo shorts on non-formal nights? Can I wear Khaki pants and a button down long sleeve dress shirt for formal night? Or do I need a jacket?

The only time I saw a passenger refused entrance to the MDR (since Dec.2015) was for wearing sandals .

Hi!

Luggage tags are the same, Print them out, fold them over and staple, or clear tape them as we do.

Dress code is probably the same as Carnival, sort of do you own thing as long as you are neat about it. We never wear shorts to dinner, but those that want to, can, and do. We never dress up for formal nights, but we always look presentable.

MTD is just that. On RCCL they ask you to make a reservation time. There may be two lines, one for people with reservations and those without. If you made your reservation, you know which line to go on. Just inform the Maître D if you want to share a table, they usually ask. And, usually, those that have MTD are assigned to the second floor of the MDR. It will be on your ship card.

check in is much different than Carnival. On RCCL, sort of first come, first served, unless you are Diamond or other higher tiers. They usually have separate lines for them, but NO Assigned times. Terrible procedure on Carnival.

If you want to carry your own luggage off, same as Carnival. When the ship clears, they will announce those that want to carry their own luggage off can now do so.

Hope this helps. Enjoy RCCL

Cheers

Len