Museums/Forts (OFAC approved?)

BOAZ5

We went to Havana last November hired an old convertible that took us to all the normal tourist sites. We also took a taxi to the Tropicana on our own. Both turned out to be wonderful experiences. We are returning in October and look forward to "Supporting the Cuban People" on our own. This trip we plan to do more walking and take in the things we missed last time. I truly feel that we have a full day of activities planned. My only real concern is regarding the museums and forts. I want to make sure they are not owned by military/government. One would think that the forts are owned by the military/government, but I have noticed that ship sponsored tours go the forts and some museums. I have tried to research, but not getting much. I figured I could count on the wonderful people of Cruise Critic. I want to verify that they are privately owned before paying an admission fee and logging it in our itinerary.

Nothing stops you going to any place in Cuba. Even places on the Cuba Restricted List can be visited, and the only limitation is that those under US jurisdiction should not be involved in direct financial transactions (ie. spend money) with them.

If you self certify travel under "support the Cuban people", then interact with them wherever you go, and your trip is OFAC compliant, not that US Authorities are checking.

Nothing stops you going to any place in Cuba. Even places on the Cuba Restricted List can be visited, and the only limitation is that those under US jurisdiction should not be involved in direct financial transactions (ie. spend money) with them.

If you self certify travel under "support the Cuban people", then interact with them wherever you go, and your trip is OFAC compliant, not that US Authorities are checking.

Agree. (y)

Thank you for the reply. I do know that US citizens are "allowed" to visit anywhere in Cuba as far as Cuba is concerned. I am not worried about going in to certain places. I am just curious more than anything as to who runs the forts/museums. I don't see them listed directly on the OFAC "Restricted" list, but that doesn't mean they aren't being run by a holding company. I don't expect to ever get audited, but would hate to list "restricted" places on my "full schedule of activities" just in case. I cannot imagine that the US government has enough manpower and resources to bother with auditing the thousands who are now traveling to Cuba each year. I try to patronize small private business when in the US and Happy to do it in Cuba.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

Thank you for the reply.

….I don't see them listed directly on the OFAC "Restricted" list, but that doesn't mean they aren't being run by a holding company. I don't expect to ever get audited, but would hate to list "restricted" places on my "full schedule of activities" just in case...

Two points:

1. Only those choosing People to People are required under OFAC to present on demand their full-time schedule of activities
  2. Everybody travelling, however, can be required by OFAC to present on demand their financial transactions while in Cuba

Visiting an entity on the CRL, or any other place, cannot of itself cause any concern regarding OFAC compliance. Only worry about your financial transactions, if you worry at all (and most will not).

Two points:

1. Only those choosing People to People are required under OFAC to present on demand their full-time schedule of activities
  2. Everybody travelling, however, can be required by OFAC to present on demand their financial transactions while in Cuba

Visiting an entity on the CRL, or any other place, cannot of itself cause any concern regarding OFAC compliance. Only worry about your financial transactions, if you worry at all (and most will not).

Thank you! I am planning to enjoy our visit and not worry at all. We really enjoyed visiting last fall and look forward to seeing and learning more this time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

I am just curious more than anything as to who runs the forts/museums. I don't see them listed directly on the OFAC "Restricted" list, but that doesn't mean they aren't being run by a holding company.

I'm sure you mean well, but I seriously suggest you relax and stop worrying about who owns what in Cuba. Truth be told, the Cuban government probably owns/runs virtually everything! But the American govt. has just listed certain entities...most of which you'll probably never have contact with....that you should avoid. None of them are connected with touring.

Cruising to Cuba is really simple and easy, so don't make it complicated ahead of time. Focus on what sites you'd like to see and what you'd like to do instead of regulations. Hope you have a wonderful vacation!! :D