Just back from the Westerdam!

tammyp5

Bahamas trip Jan 3 - 8. Had a beautiful SC suite (5186) and the whole trip was lovely. I intend to write up an extensive review in the next few days. If you have specific questions on this ship, I'd be happy to address them in my review.

I did quite a bit of research before purchasing this cruise and this message board was the best source of information. Thanks to everyone for the wonderful tips. We were very prepared, which made for a very relaxing time.

At the airport yesterday, we sat next to several cruisers who had just gotten off Celebrity and Princess. All were complaining about so many aspects of their cruises. We sat in happy silence as they talked about poor service, dirty decks, bad food, poor excursions, etc. Other than a few small grumbles, we found nothing but heaven on our ship. Watch for the details soon.

Tammy

I hope you can write your review within the next few days! we are sailing on her this sunday!

Tell me EVERYTHING about being in a suite! how was the Neptune Lounge? what about the suite lunchon? anything else great about your cabin?

How was the dining room? what seating did you have? were you upper or lower. How loud was it where you ate? Could you feel vibrations where you ate?

What was your favorite meal?

Was there lunch/breakfast avaliable at the Pinnicle for suite guests? How was the line at the port? was there a special line for suite pax?

thanks and welcome back!

also, any other secrets you can tell!

You will find the Neptune Lounges on the Vista class ships very nice and spacious. Lots of places to sit and eat breakfast and snacks all day. We spent a lot of time there eating breakfast as we are not but eaters. Continental breakfasts suit us fine.

Thank you as always! I am wondering and planning on tipping the conciarge there... is that a good/right thing to do? i would like to thank them "ahead of time" upon arriving for the services they will provide within the next week, but i dont know if that is a good thing to do.

LolaWiz,

We were on the Westerdam for the December 11th cruise in Suite 5187 which is the twin of 5186. It was heavenly.

The suite is on a different floor than the Neptune Lounge (and a long walk from it, to boot), but it was terrific. The balcony is huge - downside is that most of it is not shaded- there is an overhang on the side that offered some protection.

The bathroom has two sinks, a tub (with a shower in it) and a stall shower, too.

There is a dressing room adjacent to the bathroom with lots of storage. However, there is so much storage in the room that all we did was hang our winter coats in that dressing room storage.

The room is smaller than the suites on the side, but there is plenty of room for two people.

Service on the Westerdam is the best we have ever had, with the possible exception of the first time we were on the Radisson Diamond in 1992.

We were invited to a suite luncheon in the Crow's Nest, had cocktails with the Captain and Senior Staff in the Neptune on the first night (they were there 7:30 - 8:15) and were invited to a VIP party one night in the Explorer's Lounge.

The flowers in the suite were a small arrangement of mums and carnations.

Fresh fruit was delivered every day. Laundry was brought back ironed the next day (or same day if you gave it to steward early) - however my whites weren't as white as I make them and there was some fading of colors in knits.

Service by the Concierges in the Neptune Lounge was friendly and very efficient.

Food in the Pinnacle was excellent, but they didn't have their own version of Baked Alaska. The substitute was only so-so, as was the volcano cake.

Creme Brulee was excellent. They don't seem to quite have it together for service in the Pinnacle. The Maitre D' seemed distracted and we had to wait for him to get to us. The wine steward was not attentive. Waiter was very good. Our meals were courtesy of our Travel Agent - a very nice perk.

Service in the dining room was better. Our wait staff seemed slower than the rest of the dining room, but they were friendly and everything came as ordered.

All in all, it was a fantastic cruise.

Roberta

We tipped the concierges $20.00 each at the end of the cruise.

We saw the concierge who had been in the Neptune Lounge last year at the Purser's Desk this year. Apparently, they rotate the staff. She was very pleasant and remembered us.

Roberta

For tammyp5...

You can't imagine how thrilled I am to see that you were in SC5186...that is the suite cabin that I've booked for my Oct '06 50th birthday cruise. I know I'll be hanging on every word when you post your review of this trip...please don't leave any little details out regarding your cabin/balcony, cabin steward, special suite amenities and perks, and Half Moon Cay. Did you also treat yourself to a cabana there?

Did you have any parties or breakfasts on your balcony? Was there any "debris" from above that presented a problem on the balcony?

We've booked late (8:30 pm) lower seating in the restaurant and I'm a bit concerned about how this may or many not interfere with getting to the production shows in the Vista Lounge. What time are the evening shows?

Please share where your favorite spots were on the WESTERDAM...also what your favorite shipboard activities were, along with favorite meals. Do they do a Baked Alaska parade for all Dining Room seatings or is it at a special time? We don't want to miss it because of our seating time.

Did having a cabin on the "port" side of the ship disappoint you in any way? I've read so much about the "mirror" SC5187 cabin and how pleased everyone has been with that one, I've been curious as to why more people haven't raved about SC5186!

Welcome back and I'm glad to hear you have a super time. As with others, I'm anxiously awaiting your review, once you get settled back into "land" time.

Debjo

Another question for tammyp5...

Did you utilize any of the "free" laundry services that came with the SC suite? I'm particularly wondering about the "free" dry cleaning that I read came with the suite...I've also seen that this feature is no longer available...what do you know from your recent trip. Having dry cleaning available and "free" for suite occupants will have a big impact on what I'm planning to pack for this trip.

Thanks!

Debjo

FOR DEBJO;

i am booked on the zuiderdam (sister to the westerdam) in suite 5186, (same as 5187)......

i am taking my partner for his 50th birthday and 25 of his friends are also joining us on the cruise this coming april.

I have planned:

spa treatments the day of this birthday

cocktail party in our cabin

followed by a group dinner in the pinnacle grill

half moon cay - with cabana - and of course a butler.

and certainly all the little things like flowers/cake etc. etc. etc.

boy when I turn 50th==== a long way off ??? -- - i hope he can top this one.....:confused:

overall - i think a bargain compared to renting hall/caters and dj to do the party here in canada.

will tell u all about it when we return and perhaps give you some little tips on making your 50th a day to remember for ever.

Archived