Continue with Blexie or not?

powell

Have booked Blexie for a 1 day tour but we will actually be in Havana for 2 full days. Have asked him re a 2nd day tour and have not heard from him in 1 week. Do I persevere and wait or do I look elsewhere? Not going till beginning December but want to make sure we get the best guide we can.

I just returned from a tour through Blexie (with Raul). He may have several days where there are not cruise ships in port, and on those days he may not be some place where it is easy to have internet access. I would be patient- he will get back to you.

We will have Raul in November. Anything you can tell us about your day with him?

Raul was great. He commutes in about 70 miles to do the tours in Havana. He lives close to the big resort area in Cuba. He went to college with Blexie. His English is great and we really enjoyed a long conversation with him at lunch. If you ask, he will share his story about life in Cuba. If you have time to research Havana a bit and know what you are more interested in seeing, he will cover areas in which you are interested. We really loved Fusterlandia as something that was a bit off the beaten path (though definitely frequently visited by "tourists").

You will have a great time- I'm sure!

• Like 1

Raul was great. He commutes in about 70 miles to do the tours in Havana. He lives close to the big resort area in Cuba. He went to college with Blexie. His English is great and we really enjoyed a long conversation with him at lunch. If you ask, he will share his story about life in Cuba. If you have time to research Havana a bit and know what you are more interested in seeing, he will cover areas in which you are interested. We really loved Fusterlandia as something that was a bit off the beaten path (though definitely frequently visited by "tourists").

You will have a great time- I'm sure!

q

Thanks so much for your reply. Fusterlandia is definitely on our “must see” list. Can’t wait!

We will have Raul in November. Anything you can tell us about your day with him?

His wife likes candy and chocolate :)

I'm friends with Raul on fb, great guide 'Photographer'

Take a CF memory card and he will take pictures of you all day then give you back the card at the end of the tour.

• 3 weeks later...
Have booked Blexie for a 1 day tour but we will actually be in Havana for 2 full days. Have asked him re a 2nd day tour and have not heard from him in 1 week. Do I persevere and wait or do I look elsewhere? Not going till beginning December but want to make sure we get the best guide we can.

If you enjoy snorkeling ... here's an option:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2649856

Yaser is trustworthy and truly only wants the best for his guests. He was my guide for my 2nd day in Cuba. He went WAY above and beyond the call of duty to get my Tshirts back to me. I forgot them in his backpack. It took a lot of time and effort on his part ... but he got them to me.

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:39 AM, kimann said:

We were just there today and they are upgrading the cell phone/internet this weekend and it is really messing with his service. We toured with Mary and LOVED it!

We have Mary for our tour Thanksgiving week, thanks for the feedback!

• 2 weeks later...

I have some questions about the Blexie tour.  We have reserved a tour in January with them.   I see on the boards that you have choices about where to go, what to do, and that people bring gifts.  Having never been to Cuba, and never having taken a private tour, I'm a bit daunted.  Where should we go, what should we bring, and what are we allowed to take off the ship?  How much should we tip?  Thanks so much for the help.

I used Blexie,  They have a "standard" tour if you don't know where you want to go.. tell your guide if you prefer walking or riding if you want to see more museums versus the real Cuba and they will take you to great things to see..    We did lots of walking and I got to see where they really live, work etc. Grocery stores etc...  Also, the cemetery was fascinating... Over 2 million souls in that place, never seen anything like it. 

Regarding what you take off the ship. I am sure foods are not allowed.  I did take a few bottles of water.

I tipped all the extra Cuban money I had because I was going to stay on the ship and didn't want to take it home with me :)  I tipped around $50. 

Make sure when you exchange your money to get a few $1. coins for the bathroom and take some tissues or toilet paper with you.  Some bathrooms do not have attendants nor toilet paper.

Get out there early before your guides show up,   You are meeting across the street from the port building .  Go to your left and walk through the church garden... Some amazing artwork in the little park :)

We were told that nothing other than water was allowed to be taken off the ship and that Havana customs were likely to confiscate “gifts”.  All bags go through an airport-style scanner,  so you could chance it with gifts, as they will end up with someone in Cuba... perhaps just not their intended recipient!

• 4 weeks later...

I took a  large can of Pringles, and a couple of movie theater boxes of M&M's and Reese's Pieces.  I had no trouble getting them off the ship.  As well as giving a monetary tip, I gave my guide and driver the snacks.  She loved Pringles, but a can that costs $2 US would be about $7 CUC, so she rarely gets to buy them.  You should have seen her face light up when I handed her the can.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 11:00 AM, Magnetchief said:

His wife likes candy and chocolate 🙂

I'm friends with Raul on fb, great guide 'Photographer'

Take a CF memory card and he will take pictures of you all day then give you back the card at the end of the tour.

We are touring with Raul in February.  What can we bring him that you know he will appreciate.  Please email response to me at ncg1211 at yahoo.com.

Thanks in advance,

Nancy

19 hours ago, Nancy&Frank said:

We are touring with Raul in February.  What can we bring him that you know he will appreciate.  Please email response to me at ncg1211 at yahoo.com.

Thanks in advance,

Nancy

Tried to email you. But that bounced back.

Anyways, his wife is particually partial to M&Ms, apparently they can't get them over there.

Raul is a big MLB fan, so something in that area. No idea what. I never watch the sport :)