Cruise Insurance Q

BlacThorn1

Q for everyone, we have only cruised once. WE are considering booking our next cruise in December. We want to get in early so that we can lock in a low rate. Anyway, we wouldn't dare get it w/o cruise insurance. My q is this. There are rumors floating around that there may be lay offs at my company. Nobody knows if they are true or not but I wanted to see if we go ahead and book the cruise, and I would get laid off so that we can't go, what will we get back like percentage wise or whatever and does it include the full price (like if we fly through the cruise line) that price as well? Hope this makes sense... if not let me know

Nick

We don't book our trip insurance throught the cruiseline, but use myinsurance.com, let's us pick between a bunch of different policies. This may be what you might want to do. You can always cancel a cruise up u ntil final payment with no penalty, but just make sure you compare the policies and find one that allows you to cancel for any reason. Good luck, I was in your place a little over a year ago, was one of the 20 people kept and now we are even profitable!

We are going through our TA, its just 1030 at night and i don't want to bother her with this. DW and I were just chatting so I thought I would see what you got back. For instance if we pay in bits and in August i get laid off and can't get another job and at that point have paid 2K can we get the full 2K back or no?

Up until the final payment date (usually about 90 days before the cruise) any money you paid you will get all of it back. After that time each line has a schedule of reduced refunds that you will receive. Insurance will not cover any of the loss if you cancel due to losing your job, however.

as stated before final payment due date you get back all of it, HOWEVER some TA's charge a fee of their own if you cancel be sure yours does not, also you will not get back the premium you paid for the insurance. AND most insurance does not cover cancelling because of layoff, so read the fine print also go with an insurer other than the cruiseline itself.

If you think that there is a GOOD chance that you will be layed off before you cruise - whatever you do - DO NOT put any more money towards paying off that cruise before the down payment is due. Any monies that pay now since your down payment are subject to penalties - i.e. - your TA may now get a bigger percentage even though you had to cancel which means you will get even less back. The TA we deal with does not charge any penalties when cruises are cancelled - but each company has their own rules.

Check all this out - you may want to think about cancelling sooner if you are certain that you will be layed off.

Archived